Re: [MLUG] Digest for MilwaukeeLUG@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 1 topic

Leo A

Mar 21, 2023, 8:02:59 AM3/21/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

Not sure if this meets your needs. There is  an automatic scroll feature with Adobe. It looks like it might scroll to fast.

I wonder if you can mod the scroll feature.

Here is the link to a demo:

Good luck

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023, 6:35 AM <Milwau...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Richard Benkstein <rbenk...@att.net>: Mar 18 03:35PM

I belong to a Ukelele club and up until now have used printed copies of the music.  I would like to use my surface pro but I don't like having to stop playing to turn the pages.
The specific action I am looking for is the right arrow which will move a .PDF document to the next page and/or the down arrow or wheel which would move up/down the document.  A homemade jury rig would be to build a cover over a regular keyboard with holes over the arrow keys and spring-loaded pegs to step on.
I saw the below USB device for about $40.
At the last meeting Sean M. said he used a foot operated device.
Any thoughts?
Rick
Sean Malloy <spine...@gmail.com>: Mar 18 12:50PM -0500

Here is the device I use with my Fedora laptop.

VEC in-USB-3 Infinity 3 Digital USB Foot Control https://a.co/d/gdJgEgt

--
Sean Malloy

Glenn Holmer <glenn....@gmail.com>: Mar 18 06:51PM -0500

https://kinesis-ergo.com/products/#foot-switches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hww3XorG418

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
Richard Benkstein <rbenk...@att.net>: Mar 19 02:16AM

Thanks for the advice - I've got one on order and when I finish playing with it I will report back.
Rick

On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 06:51:19 PM CDT, Glenn Holmer <glenn....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:36 AM Richard Benkstein <rbenk...@att.net> wrote:

The specific action I am looking for is the right arrow which will move a .PDF document to the next page and/or the down arrow or wheel which would move up/down the document.  A homemade jury rig would be to build a cover over a regular keyboard with holes over the arrow keys and spring-loaded pegs to step on.
I saw the below USB device for about $40.
At the last meeting Sean M. said he used a foot operated device.

https://kinesis-ergo.com/products/#foot-switches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hww3XorG418
--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG
---

If people are interested I could give a presentation at some point in the
future on how to configure USB foot pedals with Linux.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

--
Sean Malloy

Richard Benkstein

Mar 21, 2023, 11:45:27 AM3/21/23
to milwau...@googlegroups.com, Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Subject:  Foot pedal control device for use in reading music while playing.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I decided to start out cheap with a single use device for $16.  The brand name is iKKEGOL.  I received and installed it already.  Then, if I need something more elaborate, I will have some experience with it.

It is super easy.  You download a small install program that allows you to program it for a single key combination.  I decided to program it with the down arrow rather than the right arrow.  So, in viewing a multi-page music .PDF, I can tap the pedal for one line down or hold to move faster which allows me to see the beginning of the next page while still on the first page.  The right arrow would just flip to the next page.

I am satisfied so far.  An improvement would be to purchase a three-pedal unit and then program; one for left arrow (page up) another for down arrow (one line down) and another for up arrow (one line up).  I now have to be careful not to go down too far and then not be able to go back up.  One can also use multiple units so an extreme situation might to buy three, three-pedal units and then have nine different key combinations available at your feet!  It also worked well with the USB hub on my surface pro.  There are also Bluetooth units, but I prefer wired units that do not need batteries.

I my opinion this technology is so simply that any demonstration would take at most 15 minutes.

Rick