Import Outlook.pst to Thunderbird

Roger M. Jenson

Apr 15, 2023, 8:35:50 AM4/15/23
to Milwaukee Linux Users Group
When one of my customers finally gave up on an old, unreliable, Windows
computer and bought a new computer I was asked to install Linux on it. I
chose Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and suitable applications to meet current needs.
to recover email, contacts, and calendar entries I copied the
Outlook.pst file to a virtual Ubuntu 22.04 LTS instance with the
Thunderbird email client installed to receive the contents of the 1.9 GB
Outlook.pst file.

Installed readpst
(https://www.rcomputer.eu/index.php/blog/8-clanky/linux/79-import-pst-files-to-thunderbird-2)
to extract the contents of the Outlook.pst file.

Installed the ImportExportTools
(https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/)
Thunderbird Add-on to import the .eml provided by the readpost program.

Started the import of the the .eml files and went out for a walk. I
returned to 1.54 GB of restored email organized in their original folders.

Another win for Open Source Software!

By the way, I have not found a programmatic way to import contacts and
calendar entries from the Outlook.pst into Thunderbird. If you have a
solution please share it with the class.

Having Fun,
Roger M. Jenson

Richard Benkstein

Apr 15, 2023, 9:59:58 AM4/15/23
to Milwaukee Linux Users Group, Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

RE:  Conversion of contacts and calendar entries

As a programmer my approach would be to extract each side to a flat or .XML file, then write a program (maybe AWK?)  to read in one side and write out the desired format, then import to the new side.  The assumption is that each side has an export/iimport to a common (text, .XML) format.  I would start out with an identical (and unique) entry on both sides.  That also assumes that an already working conversion process does not already exist.

Rick Benkstein

--
---

Roger M. Jenson

Apr 15, 2023, 10:04:53 AM4/15/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I know how to program but it is not my strongest skill. Your suggestion gives me a good start.

Having Fun,
Roger M. Jenson