Home Assistant Journey - Update

Roger M. Jenson

Jun 4, 2023, 12:15:59 PM6/4/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com

I have opened the fire hose looking for information about Home Assistant. The following list shows what I have touched so far.

  • Successfully changed  the overview dashboard to display only the date & time.
  • I tried to change the map to show Caledonia, WI and it put the zone on the Amsterdam map. Not important, move on to something else.
  • Experimented with the Logbook.
  • Experimented with History.
  • Experimented Media.
    • DLNA Servers lists the HDHomeRun connected to the network.
    • DNLA Servers displays Favorites and Channels cards.
      • Clicking on the Channels card  displays the channels that the HDHomeRun can see.
        • Clicking on a channel card opens a a video player widget but does no display live TV.
  • Installed the Terminal & SSH add-on.
    • Opened a Home Assistant terminal session in the web browser.
  •  Looked at the Developer Tools
  • Looked at all the settings.
    • Enabled Advanced Mode.

Installing the Home Assistant app on my Pixel 5 Android phone opened another can of worms. So many sensors are exposed.

Home Assistant has a ZeroTier Add-on! Now I can access my new Home Assistant from anywhere I have Internet connectivity using the ZeroTier overlay network without setting up port forwarding on my router.

BTW, there is a Tailscale add-on.

Having Fun,
Roger M. Jenson

Sean Zipperer

Jun 4, 2023, 2:39:37 PM6/4/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
Home assistant is a lot of fun and can automate your blinds, heat/ac, lighting, sound, etc.  So much cool stuff to do with it.  Glad to see I'm not the only one playing with it.

--
Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG

Roger M. Jenson

Jun 4, 2023, 2:47:24 PM6/4/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com

I am off-site testing the ZeroTier connection to Home Assistant. Once I remembered to append the Home Assistant port number (8123) to the ZeroTier IP address the login screen displayed.

Having Fun,
Roger M. Jenson