Question about laptop battery + Linux distros

Mariah

Mar 1, 2023, 1:22:56 PM3/1/23
to Milwaukee Linux User's Group
Is there an issue with this?
Although I know by battery life people generally mean how long a charge on the battery lasts, but my main concern here is rather longer-term wear and tear (if I can call it that) on the battery. Does having improper settings (or something) cause extra damage/wear to a laptop's battery? If so, can I get any details on that? Best practices? How to avoid?

Also I'm new to this group so I don't know if this is how I am supposed to post/what I am supposed to be posting about.

Roger M. Jenson

Mar 1, 2023, 2:10:18 PM3/1/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com

Hello Mariah,

Welcome to the Milwaukee Linux Users (MLUG) email list. We do not have categories for the email list so a descriptive subject is the best way to keep replies connected to the question. Adding context about the subject in the body of the email message is the next best practice. The final recommendation is to not hijack the email string by asking an unrelated question (e.g. asking a question about hard drive performance). You are doing very well so let's get back to your question.

Laptop Battery Longevity:

Do not leave your charger plugged into your laptop computer for long periods of time when you are not using the laptop computer.

If you are not using the laptop computer disconnect the charger after the battery is fully charged.

Please provide the make and model of the laptop computer so we can look for additional information on the subject.

Best Regards,
Roger M. Jenson

--
Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG

Tom

Mar 3, 2023, 5:44:53 PM3/3/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
There are power settings in Linux, similar to those in Winders. They govern what devices should be put to sleep after a period of idle time, and what devices are allowed to wake the machine up.

It's that first one that your question bears on. Certain devices (hard disks for example, or CPU) are allowed to enter a low-power state if no one is using the machine. Many devices have a number of lowe-power states. The lower the power draw, the longer it takes to wake up from that state when the machine is needed.

It's possible that having these set wrong could reduce battery life a little. The higher the power state of the components are over the longer period, the more charge/discharge cycles the battery will be subjected to. It's those cycles that reduce the amount of charge the battery will hold, and that reduces run-time.

Of course "set wrong" is in the eye of the beholder. If you using it for some application that requires the shortest possible wake-up time, e.g. fractions of seconds vs. tens of seconds, and you need to the most rapid response, then you don't allow a lot of power savings. But uses like that are not common.

We might be able to tell more if we knew what hardware you're using, and what version of Linux.

Welcome to the group!

-T
 --
---

Tom Peters • a50m...@gmail.com • N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting) • Second Tops (Set Dancing) • FIND ME ON FACEBOOK
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W • Elevation 815' • Grid Square EN53wc
Sr. Systems Administrator • Open-source Dude • Musician • Registered Linux User 385531