Computer Networking Basics

Roger M. Jenson

Dec 17, 2022, 1:33:32 PM12/17/22
to Milwaukee Linux Users Group
I bumped into the following YouTube video today explains the basics of
computer network communication while comparing Token Ring to Ethernet.

Token Ring, the Betamax of Networking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjLctlmZSp4

Have Fun,
Roger M. Jenson

Tom

Dec 19, 2022, 10:26:37 AM12/19/22
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
In the distant past, when I had to work on a token ring network, nobody (except the customer) ever referred to it as anything other than broken ring.

My favorite bit of lore was the dropped token. Only the station holding the token could speak. If the handoff in the circulation of the token went wrong, it was described to me as a bunch of people standing mutely around in a circle, all unable to speak, all staring stupidly at the token laying on the floor. Then came the beaconing. Then the Vintage Season.

That last bit was for Glenn. ;-)

-T
--
---
3ed117eb35b%40eyedigix.com.

Tom Peters • a50m...@gmail.com • N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting) • Second Tops (Set Dancing) • FIND ME ON FACEBOOK
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W • Elevation 815' • Grid Square EN53wc
Sr. Systems Administrator • Open-source Dude • Musician • Registered Linux User 385531

Glenn Holmer

Dec 19, 2022, 3:55:01 PM12/19/22
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Tom <a50m...@gmail.com> wrote:
My favorite bit of lore was the dropped token. Only the station holding the token could speak. If the handoff in the circulation of the token went wrong, it was described to me as a bunch of people standing mutely around in a circle, all unable to speak, all staring stupidly at the token laying on the floor. Then came the beaconing. Then the Vintage Season.

That last bit was for Glenn. ;-)

If Token-Ring was my Vintage Season, it was a season of hell.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)