state of the btrfs

Glenn Holmer

Feb 20, 2023, 6:56:46 PM2/20/23
to MLUG
Did you guys see this? What do you think?

Is btrfs the killer filesystem now?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Sean Malloy

Feb 20, 2023, 7:00:44 PM2/20/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
I've been running btrfs on my personal laptop for a few years. It seems to work pretty good, but I don't do anything fancy with it.

--
Sean Malloy

--
Homepage: http://www.milwaukeelug.org/home
This forum online: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MilwaukeeLUG

Tom

Feb 21, 2023, 10:00:15 AM2/21/23
to Milwau...@googlegroups.com
It's great to see Btrfs getting such good "Baked-in" kernel support and getting much more evolved and tuned for performance and reliability. But I haven't ventured into Btrfs-land yet, for no special reason. I have worked with ZFS, mostly because I have a TrueNAS Scale implementation, which runs ZFS under the hood.

EXT4 is a great filesystem, but pretty dated. Seems to have a place in microcontrollers and other lightweight implementations still. It's pretty simple and easy to use. Absent Btrfs and ZFS, I'd be using XFS, which is what most of my machines aside from a Kubuntu laptop are using.
 --
---

Tom Peters • a50m...@gmail.com • N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting) • Second Tops (Set Dancing) • FIND ME ON FACEBOOK
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W • Elevation 815' • Grid Square EN53wc
Sr. Systems Administrator • Open-source Dude • Musician • Registered Linux User 385531

Glenn Holmer

Feb 22, 2023, 5:21:54 AM2/22/23
to MLUG
On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 9:00 AM Tom <a50m...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's great to see Btrfs getting such good "Baked-in" kernel support and getting much more evolved and tuned for performance and reliability. But I haven't ventured into Btrfs-land yet, for no special reason. I have worked with ZFS, mostly because I have a TrueNAS Scale implementation, which runs ZFS under the hood.

I learned some ZFS but kind of lost interest after what happened to OpenSolaris :(

Seems to me ZFS and btrfs share a lot of features, especially the snapshot stuff. As of about a week ago, I've finally shifted over to entirely doing backups with only a shell script I wrote, since everything on my main machine is btrfs now (except for my old-fashioned ext2 boot partitions). Snapshots on the volume, then send/receive to the backup drive, several volumes and subvolumes. One of them is the A/V playground, which is the btrfs RAID10 I asked advice about here once upon a time.