Open Budget Oakland site launch

Jeffrey Barke

Apr 23, 2013, 9:00:34 PM4/23/13
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
Begin forwarded message:

We both adopted our first new project/team and launched their app last week: http://openbudgetoakland.org

My writeup of the process and project: http://openoakland.org/opening-oaklands-budget/

Spike
openoakland

Matt Richardson

Apr 24, 2013, 12:47:34 PM4/24/13
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, this is really cool. you worked on this? I've added it to my public Evernote list of examples.

Can we replicate this in Milwaukee?

-MR

Jeffrey Barke

Apr 24, 2013, 1:11:51 PM4/24/13
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for not including more details. The email I forwarded was sent to the Code for America Brigade global discussion forum (<https://groups.google.com/a/codeforamerica.org/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/brigade>). I didn't have anything to do with the project and wasn't aware of it until yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool, though, and figured you'd be interested.

I think it would be awesome to replicate it in Milwaukee. This is how they do it:

• We work with community groups to learn what aspect of the budget is most relevant to them, and how it would be best shared with the public.
• We work with Oakland’s Budget Office to access budget data and present it in a simple, useful format.
• We visualize Oakland budget data, and share resources for people to create their own visualizations and analyses.
• We prioritize tools that are free, open-source, and require minimum technical skill.
• We stimulate dialogue and provide a forum for Oaklanders to discuss the budget.

It seems the Nonprofit Center would be in a good position to help out with the community group aspect.

Regarding tools, Open Budget Oakland has this page: <http://openbudgetoakland.org/toolsprojects.html>
And I'm certain some sort of meeting could be arranged: <http://openbudgetoakland.org/whois.html>

Jeffrey

Matt Richardson

Apr 26, 2013, 12:35:38 PM4/26/13
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
Yay! New Project! :)

We're gearing up to help the Build Health event in June. But I'd like to get a list of project to start working on immediately afterwards.