Milwaukee Neighborhood Dashboard Idea

Jason Biernat

Aug 17, 2016, 11:48:43 AM8/17/16
to MilwaukeeDataInitiative
Greetings,

I am looking for input on an idea.  In light of recent events in Milwaukee, I was thinking of a way to use data to better inform the policy-decision making process at the State, County, and local level.  The Brookings Institute create an application tool called "Metro Monitor" which tracks vital socio-economic indicators for the largest US Metro areas.  (See: https://www.brookings.edu/research/metro-monitor/).  I have inquired whether Brookings has thought about bringing this tool to the local level.

When searching for existing resources I came across this group and thought I would see if anyone is interested in this idea.

Please let me know,

Jason Biernat, AICP

FD - Bill

Aug 17, 2016, 12:33:32 PM8/17/16
to milwau...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested in that idea and can help expand on it.

BILL FINN
Principal / Finn Digital
M 414-405-3466
E bi...@finndigital.com / WWW finndigital.com
T @billfinn, @finndigital / L linkedin.com/in/finndigital

Matt Richardson

Aug 19, 2016, 1:37:49 PM8/19/16
to MilwaukeeDataInitiative
Jason, definitely interested and recently and would be happy to connect/convene others for this idea. Recently had a conversation with some folks in Madison that might be interested in joining the fray!

Might also be worthwhile to check out what other have done in partnership with the National Neighborhood Indicators Project. Like a dashboard or something like this from Charlotte?

The HackMKE group meets every Monday @ Ward4, 5:30 - 8pm if you want to find me, otherwise we could always talk via Hangout and invite Bill and others that might be interested.

I'm also connected to the local Neighborhood Indicators project, and we've got a community open data portal here that might be useful as a data source. http://mkecommunitydata.com

As always, feel free to connect with me via email, phone (262-337-1832) or any social channel. :)
-Matt

Matt Richardson

Aug 23, 2016, 11:12:16 AM8/23/16
to MilwaukeeDataInitiative
Another note that came in:

"I'm sure you may be aware of this but The Greater Milwaukee Foundation has commissioned a similar data gathering effort twice (every two years) as part of their "Vital Signs" effort. It tracks a huge list of socio-economic indicators:  http://www.greatermilwaukeefoundation.org/community-leadership/vital-signs/"