Remember Suburpia???

Bill Markut

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
I frequented the one located I believe somewhere along Farwell and
Brady...but sorry no recipe...

GLF wrote in message <36E73938...@worldnet.att.net>...

>Does anyone remember Suburpia sub shops?
>They had the BEST sandwhiches.
>
>Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to duplicating the original?
>
>I grew up in Milwaukee but I'm now exiled in Ill-annoy and lately have
>become nostalgic for the great taste of home.

GLF

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

Kirstenfg

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
>Does anyone remember Suburpia sub shops?

I remember--there was one on 76th and Bluemound and now it is a Credit Union
and a Subway. For a while it was a Video store, too. I used to hang out there
after school--boy was I ever cool back then!! LOL
Kirsten
Kirs...@aol.com was Oogi...@webtv.net

badg...@webtv.net

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Someone told me that the old owner either opened or sold the recipe to
the Gold Coast Sub shops in Milwaukee.

I ate there, It taste just like Suburpia to me. They have the same menu
just different names.
I know of 3 Gold Coast Subs shops. One on 59th and Burham, 27th and
Howard and one on south Packard Ave across from Ladish.

taz...@yahoo.com

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
of worms here... :) *

I wonder what happened to them???

GLF wrote:

> Does anyone remember Suburpia sub shops?

Melissa Morrell

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
There's also one on E North Ave between Farwell and Prospect, I believe.
Never ate there, but maybe I will...

Back to lurking
Melissa

St T

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
badg...@webtv.net wrote:

> Someone told me that the old owner either opened or sold the recipe to
> the Gold Coast Sub shops in Milwaukee.
>
> I ate there, It taste just like Suburpia to me. They have the same menu
> just different names.
> I know of 3 Gold Coast Subs shops. One on 59th and Burham, 27th and
> Howard and one on south Packard Ave across from Ladish.

Isn't there also one on East North Ave? Down between Farwell and Oakland?

--
St Theresa of the Net/only one you at uwm/Goal: HS wardrobe/&Don in '99/all
bases covered

DrHarsh

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Suburpia rocked!!I would give anything to have a ham and cheese.Remember
the onoins they had and the oil.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmI have been all over town
and have found nothing that even comes close to Suburpia.
Regards,

Ps: to bad on the Ill-annoy thing

GLF wrote:

> Does anyone remember Suburpia sub shops?
> They had the BEST sandwhiches.
>
> Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to duplicating the original?
>
> I grew up in Milwaukee but I'm now exiled in Ill-annoy and lately have
> become nostalgic for the great taste of home.

邢 唷��

Cybernanc

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

>I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
>came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
>shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
>of worms here... :) *

Both Suburpia and Subway are GROSS in my opinion. That soft, soggy bread makes
those sandwiches taste awful! Cousins makes THE best subs in Milwaukee!

~~nancy~~
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger
we have already ceased striving for the truth,
and have begun striving for ourselves. - Thomas Carlyle

David Ritz

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

Steve Bukosky

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
taz...@yahoo.com wrote:

>I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
>came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
>shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
>of worms here... :) *

Oh come on now! There is no comparison. Subway is the absolute
worst! No.. I take it back. They are better than a K-Mart sub that
has been wrapped in plastic for a day.

For a great sub, take the time to look up a Chocolate Factory.
Freshly baked bread and great meat.

Steve Bukosky
sbuk...@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~sbukosky/

GLF

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

Thanks for the responses! I'm definitely going to check out Gold Coast Subs next
time
I journey behind the Cheddar curtain. Gold Coast was the name of one of Suburpia's
sandwiches so the connection to the original owner seems logical.

As I recall, Cousins bought out Suburpia when they came into Milwaukee. Didn't
want the competition, I guess. Cousins subs are ok, in my opinion, but
completely
different from Suburpia so any comparisons between the two are meaningless.

Subway, on the other hand, is (are?) awful! I'd rather eat at McD...., no I take
that back.

Cybernanc wrote:

> In article <36E7D93A...@yahoo.com>, taz...@yahoo.com writes:
>

> >I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
> >came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
> >shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
> >of worms here... :) *

Joe McCarron

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

#1 - The secret to the Suburpia sub was in the 'seasoning' which at the time
I worked for "burps' was manufactured in plant on Fon du lac ave I think.
Each sub had it's individual spice. After seasoning, all subs were coated
with 'peanut oil.'

#2 - The owner, founder and driving force behind Suburpia was "William F.
Foley' otherwise just known as Will Foley. He was good friends with (at the
time) one Bob Reitman, now of WKTI but back then he worked for WQFM and WZMF.

#3 - The Suburpia warehouse was also on Fon Du Lac Ave and was managed by
'Brad Fons'. It was there that the bulk meat and chesse were delivered and
sliced up for delivery to the shops. Also, and this may be of some interest,
it was there that they adapted the process of shredding lettuce, soaking it
in a vitamin C solution and spin drying it. It retarded 'rust' or browning on
the lettuce. Tomatos were delivered directly to the shoppes and sliced there.
The onions were orginally reconstituted from dry. When "Tom Barbian' was GM
at Suburpia, he switched over to 'real' onions.

#4 - Cousins bread is good but in it's hey day, no one could beat the
Suburpia bread baked by "Ziggy' at the bakery on Forest Home Ave. Ziggy (I
forget his real name) was a full-time culinary teacher at MATC and also
managed the the bakery. Don't forget, besides subs, Suburpia also sold some
excellent brownies.

#5 - Will Foley was a very charismatic man. You either liked him or hated
him. Always full of energy and ideas. Unfortunately, while he hired some very
capable people, he also had the poor sense to hire, a few for lack of a
better phrase, people who "took advantage of him." That was Suburpia's main
undoing. However, Suburpia's last hurrah came as they attempted to become a
delivery service, much like Domino's later became. For those of us who were
employed there at the time, it was called "Project Normandy."

#6 - The orginal commercial tapes (Get two friends to join you in a sandwich)
featuring a yet unknown talent (John Belushi) were taken...Ok, ripped off,
from the corporate office on Water street. I seem to remember Will getting
rather PO'ed about it. Chis B (I'd rather not get into that) claimed to know
nothing about it. *g*

#7 - The Original Suburpia was salami & bologna and was the only sub without
mayo. The Gold Coast was imported polish ham. The Miles Standish was
processed turkey. The Davey Jones (not from the Monkees) was tuna, the Rubin
James was corn beef and the Cattle Baron was roast beef. ---- Unknown is the
fact that 'burps' had also developed a very delicious "gyro sub" and were
just about to put it on the menu when the "distibution powers" of gyro meat
(who did not like Will's counter-culture image) blocked any wholesale meat
supplies to "Irish Enterpises", the comapny Will started that owned Suburpia.

#8 - Suburpia 'used' to be at summerfest but were kicked out prior to Bo
Black's current regime. That in itself is a very interesting bit of trivia
involving city politics and the business powers.

#9 - "Burps" also had one of the two city's only double decker english buses.
While it was a good advertising gimmick, the thing was a peice of shit. You
had to be a midget to work comfortably in it and take the word of someone who
drove it a few times, it was extremely top heavy, leaked exhaust fumes and
attracted so much attention when you drove it down the street, you dare not
go over 15 mph.

#10 - Will liked the dark wood decore of the shoppes with their orange tinted
lights, wood booths and a wall you could work behind so no one could see you.

#11 - I worked 3 1/2 years for "burps" as a manger, supervisor, consultant
and all around flunkie. Will Foley was an enigma to me. I loved him...I hated
him. Still, Suburpia provided me with some of the best fun and memories of my
life. I bolted from 'burps' just as it began to sink under the weight of the
debts they mounted trying to launch the delivery system. The copy right and
trademarks were later sold and Suburpia continued sans Will Foley who was
later hounded by the IRS and other debt organizations. ...To my knowledge, he
is trying to start up "Suburpia" again under the name "Gold Coast." I wish
him the best of luck and also msis them subs....even after eating (literally)
thousands.

#12 - I would be remiss in my recollections not to mention that while working
at Suburpia, I met Jimmy Miller who became one of my best friends, a room
mate and was a pretty darn good Milwaukee area comedian. Jimmy passed away
about three years ago of cancer. I still miss him.

Cybernanc

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In article <36E9187B...@idt.net>, Joe McCarron <joem...@idt.net> writes:

>#4 - Cousins bread is good but in it's hey day, no one could beat the
>Suburpia bread baked by "Ziggy' at the bakery on Forest Home Ave. Ziggy (I
>forget his real name) was a full-time culinary teacher at MATC and also
>managed the the bakery. Don't forget, besides subs, Suburpia also sold some
>excellent brownies.

Thanks for this GREAT post Joe. Enjoyed reading the history of Suburpia. Yes,
I do remember the good bread and I existed on those Brownies while attending
Marquette (there was a Suburpia on 16th St. across from McCormick Hall....I bet
they did a GREAT business there!!!)

badg...@webtv.net

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
I have to agree with Steve. I had a sub last week at the Chocolate
Factory in the Grand Avenue Mall. It was good.

But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
Italian Deli.

Cybernanc

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In article <23748-36...@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net>, badg...@webtv.net
writes:

>But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
>Italian Deli.

Have you tried Pepino's? There are some carryout/delivery places that have
deli's in them.

taz...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In my opinion, which is just that, MINE, Cousins is only good for hot
subs. The only reason I like Subway is due to the fact that their bread
is actually FRESH, and not hard enough to chip a tooth on, like
Cousins. Subway's "hot" subs are gross, however..

Subway just uses White & Wheat, whereas Cousins uses that hard-ass
french bread...what are they?? Serving spaghetti???

Cybernanc wrote:

> In article <36E7D93A...@yahoo.com>, taz...@yahoo.com writes:
>
> >I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
> >came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
> >shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
> >of worms here... :) *
>
> Both Suburpia and Subway are GROSS in my opinion. That soft, soggy bread makes
> those sandwiches taste awful! Cousins makes THE best subs in Milwaukee!

taz...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
And a nice 30 miles drive to get to one.....

No thanks.

Steve Bukosky wrote:

> taz...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >I remember those! They WERE the best subs...I'm really glad that Subway
> >came around here now, though, otherwise we'd be sunk when it came to sub
> >shops. *This is just MY opinion of sub shops...don't mean to open a bag
> >of worms here... :) *

G. Paul Huml

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
I remember a Suburpia close to UWM near Downer and Kenwood, i think it was
on Linwood st. My Dad used to send me up there with a couple of bucks in
the early 70's to get us both subs. They were pretty good from what i
remember. Now, i would have to give Cousin's or Big Mike's Subs the BIG
THUMBS UP!! Subway is ok, but the bread is not my favorite.

Just my $0.02 on the subject. I like these "remember ..." threads, brings
back alot of fond memories of the Milwaukee are. I haven't lived in the
city of Milwaukee for 10+ years, but do get back for visits.

Paul @ work

St T

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
G. Paul Huml wrote:

> I remember a Suburpia close to UWM near Downer and Kenwood, i think it was
> on Linwood st. My Dad used to send me up there with a couple of bucks in
> the early 70's to get us both subs. They were pretty good from what i
> remember. Now, i would have to give Cousin's or Big Mike's Subs the BIG
> THUMBS UP!! Subway is ok, but the bread is not my favorite.

Hm. I thought there was a suburpia on Locust and Oakland where the Subway is
now. Downer and Linnwood isn't commercial now, with the Newman Center and
houses on the corners.

I was never crazy about suburpia, prefering cousins all the time. Cousins is
the BEST hangover food, as I found when I lived near the one on Oakland and
Locust, back when it faced Locust with the jukebox.

G. Paul Huml

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
I think i incorrectly wrote in message <7cbhtu$a...@wiscnews.wiscnet.net>...

>I remember a Suburpia close to UWM near Downer and Kenwood, i think it was
>on Linwood st.

After some "brain drain", i think that the name of the street that Suburpia
was on was Hampshire (one block north of Kenwood off Downer). I don't know
what caused that name to _jump_ into my head, i also remember a bike shop
next door or very near there, "Rainbow ....". If anyone remember's or
better yet, knows, lemme know. I hate it when i get something stuck in my
mind (like an old song) and can't remember what the heck it is:-)

Paul @ work

St T

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

OH YEAH. It was down in that area where Cafe Caffeine was, wasn't it? Rainbow
Jersey moved over to Capitol in Shoewood, and then another bike shop came and
went and moved to Murray and Locust, where that cute little family grocery
used to be.

Elizabeth Martorell

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Cybernanc wrote:

> In article <23748-36...@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net>, badg...@webtv.net
> writes:
>
> >But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
> >Italian Deli.
>
> Have you tried Pepino's? There are some carryout/delivery places that have
> deli's in them.
Try Ingrilli's on Oklahoma, just west of 76.

G. Paul Huml

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Thanks.... I was hoping that my memory hadn't totally gone:-) Some year,
i'll have to drive down there and wander around. It would be fun to bring
back those childhood memories.

Thanks again,

Paul @ work

luxor09

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In article <19990312102425...@ngol06.aol.com>,

cybe...@aol.com (Cybernanc) wrote:
> In article <23748-36...@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net>, badg...@webtv.net
> writes:
>
> >But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
> >Italian Deli.
>
> Have you tried Pepino's? There are some carryout/delivery places that have
> deli's in them.
>
> ~~nancy~~
> In a controversy, the instant we feel anger
> we have already ceased striving for the truth,
> and have begun striving for ourselves. - Thomas Carlyle

I don't like Pepinos.

Linda

luxor09

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99

badg...@webtv.net wrote:
> I have to agree with Steve. I had a sub last week at the Chocolate
> Factory in the Grand Avenue Mall. It was good.
>
> But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
> Italian Deli.

I like the subs that you can get at teh Chocolate Factory too.

St T

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
G. Paul Huml wrote:

> Thanks.... I was hoping that my memory hadn't totally gone:-) Some year,
> i'll have to drive down there and wander around. It would be fun to bring
> back those childhood memories.

Well, actually, it's going to be a little weird. Depending on what decade you
were down there:

Brubakers is now a pizza place. The people who owned Brubakers moved over to
port washington, where they serve some mighty nice Indian food.

The former Follett's books was a craft store and now is a Panther Books.

The former drug store turned into a Wendy's and is now closed.

Around the corner, I think Cafe Caffeine may have both spaces that were the
Suburpia and the bike place, but i'm not totally sure.

Dave Rasmussen

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
From article <36E982EA...@uuwm.edu>, by St T <te...@uuwm.edu>:

> G. Paul Huml wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.... I was hoping that my memory hadn't totally gone:-) Some year,
>> i'll have to drive down there and wander around. It would be fun to bring
>> back those childhood memories.
>
> Well, actually, it's going to be a little weird. Depending on what decade you
> were down there:
>
> Brubakers is now a pizza place.
Bodolino's. Well, they have other italian food, import beers and yuppy
sodas.

>The people who owned Brubakers moved over to
> port washington, where they serve some mighty nice Indian food.

Out of business end of 1998. Next door to kopps.

> The former Follett's books was a craft store and now is a Panther Books.
>
> The former drug store turned into a Wendy's and is now closed.
>
> Around the corner, I think Cafe Caffeine may have both spaces that were the
> Suburpia and the bike place, but i'm not totally sure.

yes.

St T

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Dave Rasmussen wrote:

> From article <36E982EA...@uuwm.edu>, by St T <te...@uuwm.edu>:

> >The people who owned Brubakers moved over to

> > port washington, where they serve some mighty nice Indian food.
>
> Out of business end of 1998. Next door to kopps.

NOOOOOOO!! That was the only restaurant most of my family could eat at
together!!!! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! My sister, the vegetarian, my parents, the
informal/casual/hamburger types, and me, the low-carb person, we could have
all eaten there and been happy!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

We'll never eat together again!

G. Paul Huml

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Oh, i'm sure it is all very much different now:-) I grew up on Downer Ave
(3400 Blk)., right across the street from what we used to call Downer Woods.
I remember that drug store, Riegelmans (spelling), spent many allowances in
there!! Most of my extensive baseball card collection came from that
store:-) We lived there from '65 to '76, i only remember the 70's. In '76
we moved into Shorewood, parents wanted a better school system and to get
away from a busy Downer Ave.

I remember the bookstore, saved a few allowances and bought a cool
"streaking" t-shirt there, was my mom pissed:-)

Paul

St T wrote in message <36E982EA...@uuwm.edu>...

>Well, actually, it's going to be a little weird. Depending on what decade
you
>were down there:

John G Dobnick

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
From article <10708-36...@newsd-112.bryant.webtv.net>, by badg...@webtv.net:

> Someone told me that the old owner either opened or sold the recipe to
> the Gold Coast Sub shops in Milwaukee.

Gold Coast it is! I've been to the one at 59th and Burnham.
(Went there because of the name -- the "Gold Coast" was Suburpia's
ham and cheese sub.) And yes, it was the same old familiar
recipe.

> I ate there, It taste just like Suburpia to me. They have the same menu
> just different names.
> I know of 3 Gold Coast Subs shops. One on 59th and Burham, 27th and
> Howard and one on south Packard Ave across from Ladish.

As for the person who was lauding "Subway".... Ick!
They have got ot be the worst excuse for a sub in the world.
(I actually ordered a Subway sub....... once.)

Stale bread. Miniscule amounts of "filling", and that stupid
little "vee" they cut in the top of the loaf to stuff the
filling into. Sheesh! Talk about chintzy!

Now take, for example, Cousins Subs! Now _there_ is a good sub!
(I prefer the tuna sub myself.)

--
John G Dobnick (Tuna) "Knowing how things work is the basis
Information & Media Technologies for appreciation, and is thus a

Joe McCarron

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
I closed down the shoppe that used to be across the street from Schroeder Hall. (It
was next to a laundomat) Where the FIRST Suburpia was located was across 16th St.
(now a parking lot) was across from McCormick (What were you doing at an all-male
dorm?...LOL) The first Suburpia to serve beer/wine was between 16th and 17th and
Wells and had a stone motif....The Suburpia around UWM was on Hampshire.....There
was also one on Prospect & North (Where an auto place is/was)....Lexington - off
the Port road, KK & Potter, 27th & Euclid, College & Packard......they also had
shoppes in Madison.

Cybernanc wrote:

> In article <36E9187B...@idt.net>, Joe McCarron <joem...@idt.net> writes:
>
> >#4 - Cousins bread is good but in it's hey day, no one could beat the
> >Suburpia bread baked by "Ziggy' at the bakery on Forest Home Ave. Ziggy (I
> >forget his real name) was a full-time culinary teacher at MATC and also
> >managed the the bakery. Don't forget, besides subs, Suburpia also sold some
> >excellent brownies.
>
> Thanks for this GREAT post Joe. Enjoyed reading the history of Suburpia. Yes,
> I do remember the good bread and I existed on those Brownies while attending
> Marquette (there was a Suburpia on 16th St. across from McCormick Hall....I bet
> they did a GREAT business there!!!)

Cybernanc

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In article <7cc67l$ni5$1...@uwm.edu>, j...@alpha3.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick)
writes:

>As for the person who was lauding "Subway".... Ick!
>They have got ot be the worst excuse for a sub in the world.
>(I actually ordered a Subway sub....... once.)
>
>Stale bread. Miniscule amounts of "filling", and that stupid
>little "vee" they cut in the top of the loaf to stuff the
>filling into. Sheesh! Talk about chintzy!

EXACTLY!!! Stale? It just tastes like it was made by Wonder!

Vee? The top layer is about an inch wide...how do you hold a sandwich together
that way???

Cybernanc

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
In article <36E9BF50...@idt.net>, Joe McCarron <joem...@idt.net> writes:

> Where the FIRST Suburpia was located was across 16th St.
>(now a parking lot) was across from McCormick (What were you doing at an
>all-male
>dorm?...LOL)

I said the Suburpia was across the street from the all-male dorm. But I did
attend a dance at the all-male dorm once.

Yes,
> I do remember the good bread and I existed on those Brownies while attending
> Marquette (there was a Suburpia on 16th St. across from McCormick Hall....I
bet
> they did a GREAT business there!!!)

Zen

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
In article <7cc67l$ni5$1...@uwm.edu>, j...@alpha3.csd.uwm.edu wrote:

> Now take, for example, Cousins Subs! Now _there_ is a good sub!
> (I prefer the tuna sub myself.)

Cousins is good, although for some reason, I find their bread to be a
little on the salty side.

For a really great sub, with a slightly different kind of home-made bread,
try PJs Subs. There's one on Farwell about a block north of Brady, and
another on HWY 100 in West Allis. They deliver too. I used to get subs
from the Farwell store all the time and I found them to be the best in
Milwaukee.

--
jhirsch "at" execpc.com

Hi there.

willia...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
In article <7c9pk5$5...@newsops.execpc.com>,

Steve, your mentioning the Chocolate Factory reminds me that a "nuclear
chocolate" meltdown that a group was wanting to hold at one of their stores
last July to support the boycott of Nestle, the manufacturer of the "Nuclear
Chocolate" candy bar that was being sold as a promotion for the film
Armageddon! Anti-nuclear activists thought that the Nuclear Choclolate candy
bar desensitized children and adult to real nuclear dangers. Brother! I just
want a good sub. Why can't you eat anything any more without all this
politically correct garbage?

willia...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
badg...@webtv.net wrote:
> I have to agree with Steve. I had a sub last week at the Chocolate
> Factory in the Grand Avenue Mall. It was good.
>
> But I am still looking for a good Italian Sub in this town from a
> Italian Deli.

Aren't the owners of the Chocolate Factory Italian?

sy...@nospamadoptees.org

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
[This followup was posted to milw.general and a copy was sent to the cited
author.]

In article <10708-36...@newsd-112.bryant.webtv.net>,
badg...@webtv.net said all this really good stuff...

> Someone told me that the old owner either opened or sold the recipe to
> the Gold Coast Sub shops in Milwaukee.
>

> I ate there, It taste just like Suburpia to me. They have the same menu
> just different names.
> I know of 3 Gold Coast Subs shops. One on 59th and Burham, 27th and
> Howard and one on south Packard Ave across from Ladish.

If memory serves this old memory right, I think there was a splitting of the
original owners of Suburpia.

I think that the original Suburpia was on 7th and Wisconsin, and then on
North and hmmm Maryland?

Anyway, I also believe that "Goldcoast" was the name of their Ham n Cheese
sub. (Great sub unit if I do say so)

I remember there was a Goldcoast shoppe on W. Greenfield at one time. They
were the closest to the Suburpia shoppes in taste as far as I remember.
That shoppe also made a mean hot roast beef sub. :)

brb, gotta go sink a sub.

:)

luxor09

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
In article <MPG.1155a520e...@news2.mixcom.com>,

My granny liked their subs, too! She used to talk about an oil and vinegar
thta they would put on the sub if you asked for it. She said it had a good
spicey taste to it. Linda

us...@milwaukee.tec.wi.us

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
Try Nino's... corner of Wright & Weil in Riverwest... go early though,
they always sell out of bread by afternoon ;)

lucybl...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2019, 11:43:42 PM1/16/19
On Thursday, March 11, 1999, at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, badg...@webtv.net wrote:
> Someone told me that the old owner either opened or sold the recipe to
> the Gold Coast Sub shops in Milwaukee.
>
> I ate there, It tastes just like Suburpia to me. They have the same menu
> just different names.
> I know of 3 Gold Coast Subs shops. One on 59th and Burham, 27th and
> Howard and one on South Packard Ave across from Ladish.

You forgot the one on the northeast corner of College and South Chicago Avenue/Packard Avenue in Cudahy across from the Axelson's used car lot. Where there not Suburpia Sub Shops in London, England? That is where the original shops were located as I recall and those where duplicated here in Wisconsin. By whom, I don't recall. The time of that establishment would have been the late 60s.

Larry Hooser

Mar 27, 2023, 4:04:51 PM3/27/23

Larry Hooser

Mar 27, 2023, 4:19:26 PM3/27/23
There was a Suburpia downtown MIlwaukee on Water St between Wisconsin Ave and Michigan. I worked for MGIC at the Marine Bank building right across the street and would go to Suburpia 2-3 times a week. Their bread was soooooooo fricken good, and everything tasted fresh - and the juicy sauce topped it off with a bang. It got closed while I worked there sometime in the early 1970's, maybe 1973 and replaced by Cousins. Not as good. Then I moved over to the new MGIC Plaza in 1973 and was the first one working in that Plaza in a temporary data center. I used to go get a Sub, do my night shift work in the computer room (IBM 360-30), and around 2am start my long batch job, take my Sub to the top (unfinished floor), and eat my wonderful sandwich while watching the Milwaukee blinking lights and listening to Ron Kuzner (Milwaukee) or Franklin MacCormack (Chicago, The Torch Hour - Sponsored by Meister Brau Beer). Such good memories.