Dunstable Downs Radio Rally Sunday 21st May

Andy Selby

May 4, 2017, 12:58:01 PM5/4/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace
Anyone going to the Dunstable downs radio rally on the 21st?

http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/

James Morrison

May 4, 2017, 1:11:41 PM5/4/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
I might pop over for a look if the weather's nice.

On 4 May 2017 at 17:58, Andy Selby <andyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone going to the Dunstable downs radio rally on the 21st?
>
> http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/
>

> --
> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
> ---
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

Peter Fraser

May 5, 2017, 7:05:08 AM5/5/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

It's tempting to say: "Attendance compulsory" J .

This is the largest such annual rally/bootsale in the Beds/Bucks/Herts/Northants area, at Stockwood Park, just off M1/Jn10A.

Don’t be misled by the ‘radio’ reference – that’s due to heritage, it covers absolutely everything electronic & computing.  Sort your way through/past the inevitable load of tat & junk, there are amazing bargains to be had.

See e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7L7B5VN_8 for a very poor but quick [2min] 2015 overview.  Or a better but longer view (23mins – suggest play at 2X speed!!!)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdU3IGDjPfI , and you can even see my 2-pitch ‘spread’ 12’34”-13’40” (starts with Andrew’s black Focus and the blue groundsheet) – though the ‘staff’ seem peculiarly absent!!! (and its quite late on – a lot of my stuff has gone.)

I've been 'doing' this rally since the early 90's, and have my pitch booked as usual – look out for the Red Leon and come and say ‘Hi’.

Although I never manage to be organised to get there as early as I’d like, my definite advice is to go early (ignore “open from 9.00a.m.” – aim for 8.00a.m.) if you seek one-off second-hand bargains from the ‘private joes’ (like me), though obviously less crucial if you only want ‘commodity’ bits & pieces from ‘trade-traders’ – generally, it’s getting quiet soon after lunchtime, and pretty much ‘all done’ by about 4.00.

Even if you don’t want to buy anything, definitely recommended – I guarantee** you’ll find something interesting/amusing.

If you want any info/advice, just ask.

(Jim: I’m tempting providence saying this, but there’s only been serious rain twice in living memory – and as a local, you have no excuse anyway!)

Best,

Pete.

(** Guarantee limited to me probably reimbursing your £3 admission if you’re truly disappointed…. J )

James Morrison

May 5, 2017, 9:11:57 AM5/5/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Well, with an endorsement like that I'm in!

> To post to this group, send email to

> Visit this group at

> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk

---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Andy Selby

May 6, 2017, 10:10:40 AM5/6/17
On Friday, 5 May 2017 12:05:08 UTC+1, Peter Fraser wrote:

I've been 'doing' this rally since the early 90's, and have my pitch booked as usual – look out for the Red Leon and come and say ‘Hi’.

Would you mind selling the vintage oscilloscope that we have in the 'shed for us?

(** Guarantee limited to me probably reimbursing your £3 admission if you’re truly disappointed…. J )

£3 admission? I didn't pay anything last time, I just wandered onto the site from the carpark.

Jack D

May 6, 2017, 12:20:49 PM5/6/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace
If I'm not busy and remember I'll be along, Don't make the mistake I did a couple of years ago and walk up to Dunstable downs looking for it :P

James Morrison

May 6, 2017, 2:36:09 PM5/6/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
I was totally going to do that. Where is it then?

Adrian Godwin

Andy Selby

May 6, 2017, 7:04:36 PM5/6/17
On Saturday, 6 May 2017 19:36:09 UTC+1, James Morrison wrote:
I was totally going to do that. Where is it then?

Map shows location:
 http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/location.html
It's at least a ten minute drive from your place.

Andy

Peter Fraser

May 6, 2017, 11:10:29 PM5/6/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Oh, tish! tish! chaps.

“The trouble with yoof today is that they just don’t read things carefully”  (possibly understandable with the modern challenge of sorting information from the morass of data/tripe overload.)

I think the unkind expression is: “Which bit of: at Stockwood Park, just off M1/Jn10A did you not understand?” (I quote from Line 2 of my midday Friday 5th post.)

Andy’s link http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/location.html correct [accessible from his O.P. ‘top’ link of http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/ ]; note your ‘Visitor’ access is from Farley Hill.

Recommendation: re-read (learn, inwardly-digest, etc…) my Friday post, and the DDRC links, and like I said, “If you want any info/advice, just ask”.

(Adrian: your comment re. Shuttleworth  – any idea what year that was? – before even my time, unless you’re thinking of when MKARS Rally used to be at Cranfield, on the peri-track.)

Pete.

--

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Peter Fraser

May 6, 2017, 11:53:22 PM5/6/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Andy/all,

Which specific “vintage scope” did you have in mind? (Our ideas of ‘vintage’ might be different!!! – random e.g. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17395&d=1211654904 or http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/vintage/tekr556front.jpg )

But in principle, no problem.

Ah, I see I need to modify my ‘guarantee’ to be only valid against “Proof of purchase.” J

Remind me to tell you how we used to get into the RSGB Rally (which used to be at Woburn) FOC.

Cheers,

Pete.

On Friday, 5 May 2017 12:05:08 UTC+1, Peter Fraser wrote:

Adrian Godwin

May 7, 2017, 5:26:05 AM5/7/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

It was a fair while ago - pretty much when I moved here and started going to rallies. Early 90s, I think. The RSGB rally was regularly at Woburn then.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Peter Fraser <pe...@aumod.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Andy Selby

May 7, 2017, 3:55:55 PM5/7/17

On Sunday, 7 May 2017 04:53:22 UTC+1, Peter Fraser wrote:

Andy/all,

Which specific “vintage scope” did you have in mind? (Our ideas of ‘vintage’ might be different!!!

No, we're on the same page, this vintage scope:
 https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomadicjim/34248872515/

1967, 1Mhz, I forget the make and model number.

Peter Fraser

May 7, 2017, 7:57:01 PM5/7/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Looks like an old Telequipment (the economy arm of Tektronix).  BTW, suspect is maybe say 10MHz, rather than 1MHz.

On plus side, there are at least signs of life, though pretty tatty, so sadly won’t fetch much – maybe just the £10-£20 mark.  (As a distant point of reference, I have been selling HP 1740A scopes, very respectable 1980’s 100MHz [I use one myself on daily basis], in pristine condition and fully calibrated for just £120-£130.)

Will review situation at shed – hoping to be over Mon and/or Wed.

Pete.

Adrian Godwin

May 7, 2017, 8:16:22 PM5/7/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Ah, you#re right. It's one of these
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telequip_d43d_4.html

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
The red/black knobs seem like Telequipment but the round face and cast front panel are  like a Solartron.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Peter Fraser <pe...@aumod.co.uk> wrote:

Looks like an old Telequipment (the economy arm of Tektronix).  BTW, suspect is maybe say 10MHz, rather than 1MHz.

On plus side, there are at least signs of life, though pretty tatty, so sadly won’t fetch much – maybe just the £10-£20 mark.  (As a distant point of reference, I have been selling HP 1740A scopes, very respectable 1980’s 100MHz [I use one myself on daily basis], in pristine condition and fully calibrated for just £120-£130.)

Will review situation at shed – hoping to be over Mon and/or Wed.

Pete.

Adrian Godwin

May 7, 2017, 8:17:44 PM5/7/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Peter Fraser

May 8, 2017, 5:54:07 AM5/8/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Well researched, Adrian!  Pretty much what I thought.

(Oh, and chaps, for sake of accuracy, in the context of D43R, ignore  my previous reference to (the economy arm of Tektronix)” – only valid later in the 70’s when Tek bought-up Telequipment.)

Now, I’m just trying to assign a Desirability Rating….

I suppose it may have some nice valves in it.

And of course, I’m sure we all know the bonkers way of re-purposing scope CRT’s:

Image result for vintage oscilloscope

Image result for vintage oscilloscope

Pete.

May 8, 2017, 5:59:20 AM5/8/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
There must be lots of things you could use it for.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1230242223/oscilloscope-music

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Andy Selby

May 14, 2017, 11:17:03 AM5/14/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace
On Thursday, 4 May 2017 17:58:01 UTC+1, Andy Selby wrote:
Anyone going to the Dunstable downs radio rally on the 21st?

Looks Like Mike from Mikes electric stuff is going to be there

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurxgRODrLk

Anything unsold is going to be given away.

Adrian Godwin

May 14, 2017, 8:46:20 PM5/14/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
He's usually there.

Looks like an HP6632B psu there. Do you think 5 would be too many ?

Peter Fraser

May 14, 2017, 11:58:39 PM5/14/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Mike’s suggestion in the vid of a “small Transit van” sounds like a Tardis ambition, unless he’s even better at vehicle-packing than me.

Do you think 5 would be too many ?” – No, not in the slightest.  But – like “What do you call 1000 American lawyers chained to the seabed” – it would be “A good start”.

I quote from the late-great Jim Williams epic 1995 article in EDN, “Be It Ever So High-Tech, There’s No Place Like Home” [copy attached, if it makes it through the system; some details now out out-of-date, but surprisingly, much is not]:

You can never have enough power supplies. For analog work, supplies should be metered, linear regulators with fully adjustable voltage output and current limiting. The HP 6216

is small and serves well…….

(To anybody who has not heard of Jim Williams, be very clear that the “real-world” [i.e. analogue] end of electronics would not be where it is today without him; a very sad loss: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Williams_(analog_designer) )

I promised there would be bargains; I don’t think it gets much better than ‘free’ for unsold stuff…. J

Pete.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Andy Selby <andyf...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, 4 May 2017 17:58:01 UTC+1, Andy Selby wrote:

Anyone going to the Dunstable downs radio rally on the 21st?

Looks Like Mike from Mikes electric stuff is going to be there

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurxgRODrLk

Anything unsold is going to be given away.

--
http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

There's No Place_Jim Williams [200dpi].PDF

Andy Selby

May 20, 2017, 3:50:51 AM5/20/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace
From the slack channel:
12:19 AM Anyone who would like to help at the Dunstable Radio Rally - I now have the key to the shed and will open up on Saturday afternoon at 5:30pm so that we can get cars loaded with stuff to sell.
Ideally, we need 3 or 4 cars to get the stuff down there, and 3 or more people to run the stall. We will need to be down at dunstable at around 8:45 am on Sunday.

Peter Fraser

May 20, 2017, 7:48:46 AM5/20/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

[Thanks Andy]

Ref my previous posts, 05/05/2017 & 07/05/2017, a few points [I’ve just spoken to John O.]

·         The pitches are quite generous, but they enforce 1 vehicle (but can have trailer…) per pitch – so if you plan extra cars, you’ll probably need to cough up £10 a go.
(There would be no problem having extra cars as visitors, and sack-trolley stuff from visitors car-park to pitch.  Note quite separate entrances for Trade/Visitor.)
Likewise, no problem of course in ‘visitors’ shambling up to stalls and helping.

·         I strongly recommend earlier arrival; 7.30a.m. about right.  I know it says 9.00 for punters, but they usually allow them in from about 8.30, or earlier.
If ‘junk’ not sold by about 11.00, get out the red pen & mark-down – or ‘FREE’.

·         “Dunstable” – don’t forget, DDRC are the hosts, but location is Stockwood Park, M1/Jn10A.

Do give me a call if any queries;

today MK 663365

tomorrow 07946-773752

Pete.

·         The pitches are quite generous, but they enforce 1 vehicle (but can have trailer…) per pitch – so if you plan extra cars, you’ll probably need to cough up £10 a go.

I've emailed them to ask if additional cars can drop stuff off then leave

(There would be no problem having extra cars as visitors, and sack-trolley stuff from visitors car-park to pitch.

That's plan B

·         I strongly recommend earlier arrival; 7.30a.m. about right.  I know it says 9.00 for punters, but they usually allow them in from about 8.30, or earlier.
If ‘junk’ not sold by about 11.00, get out the red pen & mark-down – or ‘FREE’.

We're pricing low and going south from there, just glad to have some space in the 'space.

Last year I used this entrance and did not get charged £3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8704166,-0.4248994,3a,75y,187.5h,81.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbh8USfQ9Hrc5FXnn-n90rA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also it seemed to be closer than the official carpark.
Andy

Andy Selby

May 21, 2017, 5:14:34 PM5/21/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace
That went well, we got rid of so much stuff (oscilloscope first for a tenner) and we took £240
That said, we could do much better, my recommendations:
1. Hire a Transit and tetris the shit out of the stuff we're putting in the back. sackbarrowing stuff from the visitors area is a non-starter, paying for 3 pitches wasn't clever and they wouldn't let us bring multiple cars on to unload. Also, strength in numbers, me and Tiff were descended upon by the hordes of traders eager to snap up something cheap to sell on their stall. (both crates of multiways went for 50p each as soon as they were out of my boot) The 'scope was being re-sold but Jim say's the price was still a tenner later in the day.
2. Bring sunscreen.

Andy

Adrian Godwin

May 21, 2017, 6:54:48 PM5/21/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Sunscreen and hat. And gazebo and icebox.
Ask Peter, he's a pro at this.

--
http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Peter Fraser

May 21, 2017, 8:56:33 PM5/21/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

“….and icebox” – yes, rammed with Coke & lager…. J

Oddly, I didn’t get around to putting-up my trademark parasol this year…..  I don’t think I or Andrew sold it by mistake.

Comments on Andy’s points to follow.

Pete.

James Morrison

May 22, 2017, 5:11:15 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
On the promotion side (gaining more members) we could also have a
couple of laptops or big screen showing our flickr feed
(https://www.flickr.com/groups/mkmakerspace/). Some flyers would also
be good and a proper banner. We could also take the TWANG game I built
along to create some buzz. If we could have the LED's going 5 metres
into the air somehow that would look great!

James

Andy Selby

May 22, 2017, 6:31:20 AM5/22/17

(https://www.flickr.com/groups/mkmakerspace/)....We could also take the TWANG game I built
along to create some buzz. If we could have the LED's going 5 metres
into the air somehow that would look great!

That may be hard to see in the glaring sun.

Tiffany

May 22, 2017, 6:41:44 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure we'll come up with some other silly thing that's good in the daylight.

--
http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

James Morrison

May 22, 2017, 6:48:45 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
I dunno, those neopixels are bloody bright! Obviously would look
better in the dark but whenever I use them I run them at about 30%
brightness as they're too bright.

James

On 22 May 2017 at 11:41, Tiffany <ti...@leekworld.com> wrote:
> I'm sure we'll come up with some other silly thing that's good in the
> daylight.
>
> On 22 May 2017 at 11:31, Andy Selby <andyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> ...we could also have a
>>> couple of laptops or big screen showing our flickr feed
>>> (https://www.flickr.com/groups/mkmakerspace/)....We could also take the
>>> TWANG game I built
>>> along to create some buzz. If we could have the LED's going 5 metres
>>> into the air somehow that would look great!
>>

>> That may be hard to see in the glaring sun.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
>> ---
>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.
>

> --
> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
> ---

Michael West

May 22, 2017, 6:51:29 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
SHould have charged more for the multi ways then!!!!
At least some of the old PC's and other stuff has gone.

On 22 May 2017 at 11:48, James Morrison <morr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I dunno, those neopixels are bloody bright! Obviously would look
better in the dark but whenever I use them I run them at about 30%
brightness as they're too bright.

James

On 22 May 2017 at 11:41, Tiffany <ti...@leekworld.com> wrote:
> I'm sure we'll come up with some other silly thing that's good in the
> daylight.
>
> On 22 May 2017 at 11:31, Andy Selby <andyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> ...we could also have a
>>> couple of laptops or big screen showing our flickr feed
>>> (https://www.flickr.com/groups/mkmakerspace/)....We could also take the
>>> TWANG game I built
>>> along to create some buzz. If we could have the LED's going 5 metres
>>> into the air somehow that would look great!
>>

>> That may be hard to see in the glaring sun.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
>> ---

>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.
>

> --
> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
> ---

> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Adrian Godwin

May 22, 2017, 7:12:12 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Would be great to tart up some of the traditional radio rallies with EMF-camp style bling. But remember they're only morning or day events.

>> To post to this group, send email to
>> milton-keynes-makerspace@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at
>> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.
>

> --
> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
> ---
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Andy Selby

May 22, 2017, 7:39:03 AM5/22/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace, mic...@munchit.co.uk

SHould have charged more for the multi ways then!!!!

I knew you wouldn't be best pleased but in my defence this was my first carboot/rally.
Half the stuff in my car went to one guy as soon as it hit the ground.
4 tall speakers I sold for a quid each. forget what the rest went for.

Andy

Peter Fraser

May 22, 2017, 8:04:56 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com, mic...@munchit.co.uk

Aw, c’mon – put me out of my misery: a “multi way” WHAT?

Spanner,

Mains adapter,

DC plug,

Tin opener,

…….

Michael West

May 22, 2017, 8:34:36 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Multiway 13amp power strips.
People will always barter you down for stuff!

On 22 May 2017 at 13:04, Peter Fraser <pe...@aumod.co.uk> wrote:

Aw, c’mon – put me out of my misery: a “multi way” WHAT?

Spanner,

Mains adapter,

DC plug,

Tin opener,

…….

Andy Selby

May 22, 2017, 8:49:44 AM5/22/17
to Milton Keynes makerspace, mic...@munchit.co.uk

People will always barter you down for stuff!

I, er, started off with 50p each.
I blame James for saying we'd be coming back with it all so I priced low initially.
He certainly ate his words along with his £5 portion of chips and sausages.

Andy

James Morrison

May 22, 2017, 9:05:40 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I stand corrected. I really wasn't very optimistic the day
before. I was worried we would be lugging everything back to the shed.
Thanks for the blame Andy! haha I wasn't even there at this point. :D

That sausage and chips was a rip off and not that great either...
> --
> http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
> ---

Peter Fraser

May 22, 2017, 9:47:52 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

[Lesson #178]

Jim, Andy,

This is why you have to arrive early.  You will all probably have now observed how the ‘dynamic’ shifts through the day.

Initially, price at whatever you think would be nice, and try for a couple of hours; then, if not sold (and you want to ‘get rid’), out comes the red pen.

I started marking-down on many items at 11.30 – progressing to “FREE!” [on low-value, well-travelled multi-trippers] around lunchtime.

This way, you can have your cake & eat it – reasonable chance of fair return, but also reasonable chance of not wearily taking it back home.

BTW, the food was indeed vile.

Pete

Yep, I stand corrected. I really wasn't very optimistic the day before. I was worried we would be lugging everything back to the shed.

Tiffany

May 22, 2017, 9:52:03 AM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
The main issue was that we had little appreciation for price points on most items, and no pre-agreed targets. If we do it again, we should get stickers with price on BEFORE we arrive, or only say 'make me an offer', given that those seemed to be higher than the prices we stated!

> To post to this group, send email to

> Visit this group at

> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk

---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Stewart Dunn

May 22, 2017, 10:32:14 AM5/22/17
to MK Makers Makerspace

Dunstable Downs Radio Rally Sunday 21st May
Comment
While there I bought a few things from different stands.
one stand had everything @ 50p (Poundland approach)
Some said make me an offer
One used same price in UK as in EU (too much trouble changing prices)
I tended to bargain and got bulk prices e.g. 5 for price of 3 etc

Reminds me of Dragons Den - Start high then reduce to get best result.

Regards

Stewart Dunn
> an email to milton-keynes-make...@googlegroups.com.

> To post to this group, send email to

> milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com.

> Visit this group at

> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk

---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Peter Fraser

May 22, 2017, 2:01:19 PM5/22/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com
Picking up on earlier part of thread:

Re: multi-pitches etc, well I’m not going to say “I told you so”.

Andy: you could have mitigated by putting a “£10/as-seen” sticker on your
car, to recoup? :)

A minor saving can be had by pre-booking, thus my 2 pitches = £15 rather
than £20….

I wouldn’t personally go ‘hire a van’ route; if you think about it, more
expensive than multi-car/pitch. If you have a van, that’s different…

Don’t forget the trailer option, which has many attractions.

BTW, I find vans difficult to fill efficiently (with small stuff), unless
you have lots of sturdy stacking crates. (If however you are say packing
the contents of a Vanguard submarine, different rules apply; I would then
recommend a modest fleet of artics…)

OK, I take Extreme Packing to the limits, but surprising what you can get
in an ordinary car – in my case, the Leon CupraR VanConversion . No
challenge this year due to 2 cars, but normally I take 3 seats out, and pack
fully – see sample pics 4306/4308/4311 attached from 2014. Yes, that’s 6 x
Eurocrates, 12 x 300mm cube cardboard boxes, and loads of other items –
nearly 1/3 tonne, from measurement of acceleration reduction on M1. Note,
ahem, the position of rear wheel in wheel arch in 4306 and that’s stiff
‘sports’ suspension – however, nothing broke.

With some reservations as now aired, the “stack high, sell cheap” seems to
have worked quite well though, and it looked as though you guys were having
a fun time – which is at least 50% of the objective.

You got some cash, and cleared some clutter; I’ll not disclose on this
forum my takings for the day; suffice to say a bit more than the MKMaker
Collective, but then as Adrian points out, I’m a “well-experienced amateur”,
if not quite a “pro” :).

I forgot to warn about the “jumble-sale bandit” traders; I suppose I at
least have the benefit of recognising most of them, though have still
suffered occasional attacks….. I’ve found particularly galling when I’m
offered e.g. ‘commodity’ stuff (random example: reels of Ersin solder some
years back) at knockdown prices, intending this to benefit the Amateur
community, for whom I have an affection; a subtle tactic I employ is to
discretely annotate the display card “OPC” – I can then ‘politely deflect’
attacks by pointing to this, and in response to the puzzled expression,
explain: “One Per Customer.”

At the end of the day however, shrug shoulders, and be amused when they
“bag a bargain” (Tele D43R scope – hilarious!) and end up stuck with it.
Actually, I sort of pity the true professional traders – although some do
well, a precarious living (and at the mercy of the weather etc), and
personally I’ve always said “I wouldn’t give up the day job.”

The [albeit small] monitors should have ‘flown’ at a pound or two, but I
think the suggestion advanced of “so cheap, assumed faulty?” has traction.
I had very few eqpt items this year, but the observant will have noticed
that I generally add info on the label – and I perhaps have the benefit of a
long-time ‘rep’; when I say it’s “Perfect Working Order” or whatever, people
know I mean it (and backed by a no-quibble money-back guarantee stance;
IIRC, I have only ever had to refund on perhaps 5 occasions in total on
maybe 10,000 sales, so a tactic which works, though probably not applicable
to MKMaker as a ‘collective’.)

BTW, I made comment yesterday on the thoroughly ambiguous & scurrilous
“Untested” descriptor, a particular scourge of eBay & similar. (And don’t
get me started on “powers up”….)

I of course am aware of Tiff’s [hopefully] bargain R/C car, but did anybody
manage to grab bargain(s) for themselves?

Pete “Steptoe” & son.

<mailto:andyf...@gmail.com> > wrote:

[...]

IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG

Peter Fraser

May 23, 2017, 2:33:07 PM5/23/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Tiff/chaps,

Lesson #62:

Not much point in me elaborating – Tiff has basically got it (though the “make me an offer” opener is complex & mine-strewn).

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way, as I suppose I did once!

MK Rally [MKARS, Milton Keynes Amateur Radio Soc] to look forward to!

Nothing like as big as Stockwood (that is the largest in ~40mile radius), but still worthy.

BTW, not really a ‘lesson’, but it has always irritated me that Stockwood is also the first in the season – really, one would prefer a smaller pre-cursor for “experimentation & data-gathering.”

Pete.

The main issue was that we had little appreciation for price points on most items, and no pre-agreed targets. If we do it again, we should get stickers with price on BEFORE we arrive, or only say 'make me an offer', given that those seemed to be higher than the prices we stated!

> To post to this group, send email to

> Visit this group at

> https://groups.google.com/group/milton-keynes-makerspace.

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk

---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

http://www.mkmakerspace.co.uk
---

Peter Fraser

May 23, 2017, 2:33:07 PM5/23/17
to milton-keyne...@googlegroups.com

Sorry to show ignorance – “multi way” effectively an adjective, what’s the related noun? – multi way what?

Pete.