Why does the MSD not contain musicbrainz-track-id information

Komal Kapoor

Apr 8, 2013, 3:03:36 AM4/8/13
to millionso...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am working with the following last.fm dataset:http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~ocelma/MusicRecommendationDataset/lastfm-1K.html, and was trying to link tracks in this dataset to the MSD. However, I noticed that the MSD does not contain the musicbrainz-track-id information. It does contain the musicbrainz-artist-id information. Is there a reason why this information has been omitted? Is there a way to link the two and I am missing that. Looking forward to your assistance.

Thanks much,
Komal

Tom Arjannikov

Apr 8, 2013, 7:18:35 PM4/8/13
to millionso...@googlegroups.com, musi...@listes.ircam.fr

Hi Komal,

It looks like you will have to do a 2-step link. First find all the records that match the song’s title in MusicBrainz, and then match the musicbrainz-artist –id (to disambiguate between different artists). But you will probably have more than one recording that matches the artist and title. For example, MusicBrainz has a record of 13 studio recordings for Metallica’s song “Mama Said”, plus some live recordings and covers; there is no way of telling which one of those tracks is in MSD.

Regards,

- Tom

Million Song Dataset main webpage:
http://labrosa.ee.columbia.edu/millionsong/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Million Song Dataset" group.