How to put a image layer on map? And how to open MilX file?

warga...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2019, 7:38:55 PM3/12/19
to www.map.army
Hello

Army Map is a great thing and I use it much for board strategic games. But I have a two questions - is there or will be possibility to put on satellite/roadmap another map layer which could be for example something like that. It would be a great thing, because ingame we base on province map, and its hard to refer to any city/town/place basing only on this. In connection with Army Map there would be possibility to create great war plans.

And second question - is there any software that can open MilX layers and edit it?

www.map.army

Mar 13, 2019, 5:59:17 AM3/13/19
to www.map.army

Question 1:

We see the following options:

A)    We could add support for image overlays. This way you would be able to load an image (as the one in the link) over the basic map.

B)    If you have a free WMTS or WMS service that provides maps (you require for your war plans) we could add it into the "Map Settings". In this case you would be able to switch between the different map types in "Map Settings" / "Style".

Question 2:

Yes, there are however none of them are off-the-shelf products. What what is your use case? Do you manually need to edit the layer or are you looking for a way to write MilX files as an export for the board strategic game?

warga...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 1:43:16 PM3/13/19
to www.map.army
It would be great to add a support for image overlays. I dont use any WMTS/WMS services, however there is a Georeferencer wich helps a lot, because it lets you put a fictional map (like that one provided by me) on real world map. Maybe there would be possibility to import layered map directly from Georeferencer?

I wanted to open MilX layers because I had hope that I would add image layer manually.

www.map.army

Mar 14, 2019, 6:57:51 AM3/14/19

We will add support for image overlays in one of our next sprints of www.map.army. With this improvement you will have a similar functionality as provided by Georeferencer. With this addition you will be no longer required to add the image layer manually.

> Maybe there would be possibility to import layered map directly from Georeferencer?

At the first glance we did not find a simple way to load maps directly from Georeferencer. But we have to investigate on this further.

befub...@gmx.ch

Mar 15, 2020, 8:21:35 PM3/15/20
to www.map.army
Hi there!
During my search for a tool to draw tactical maps for Arma 3, I've stumbled upon your tool.
It looks amazing and I really would love to use it, but I could not find said functionality to insert a image. Am I missing it or is there none?
Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

www.map.army

Mar 17, 2020, 11:20:53 AM3/17/20
to www.map.army
Are you looking of a function to overlay custom maps over the supported maps as shown in the following example: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/reprojection-image.html
Or are you looking for a function to add you custom map as an image as shown in the following example: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/static-image.html
Message has been deleted

www.map.army

Apr 14, 2020, 6:31:26 AM4/14/20
to www.map.army

Thank you again for your change request.
We have added the support for image overlays in www.map.army.

Check the following youtube tutorial: https://youtu.be/jV0iaUTjQlk. It covers how to overlay custom maps as images in the web-application.