2017 UK/Europe MV meets

1 vue

dgrev

non lue,
14 oct. 2016, 18:47:1614/10/2016
à MVlist,MV (Skylee)
Hello all,

Myself and family are THINKING about visiting the UK/Europe in the
June/July/early August period in 2017, roughly 5 weeks duration.

It has been over 15 years since we were last on that side of the world
and doubtless much has changed in the MV world besides Brexit and the
value of the UK Pound!
Back then, Beltring was the ultimate experience and was hog heaven for
an MV collector.

With the W&P move to Folkestone and the new management, from what I have
been reading online, it is a very different event now.

Mainly I am an armour person, it was that part of the hobby and the
parts stalls that captivated me: I have read that the modern event is
sorely lacking in both those areas?

New Beltring back at the Hop Farm seems too recent and small to be
considered?

Having said all of the above, I am looking for suggestions as to what
events I should be considering if this trip comes off?

I am aware of Tankfest, very much a case of - stand behind the
barriers, watch everything thunder around, but no interaction with the
vehicles - more like a display than a hands on access event/show.

Or would we be better off looking to other events, on the continent such
as "Tanks in Town" in Mons (which is way too late for us to attend), are
there others that I should consider?

I did Normandy 1999 which was excellent, the atmosphere, the collective
bon homme of the mix of nationalities attending was memorable. But that
was a 5 year "additive" event, ie, 1944 +5 and so on.
2017 will not be a 5 year anniversary, so will that mean a "quiet"
rally style turnout or have things changed and any year is now a big event?
Not being an additive anniversary also should mean no Presidents,
Royalty or associated VIPs and thus
no security lock down wholly and soley for their benefit that ruins
it for the other 100,000 people there?

So, in summary: schedule our trip to arrive at beginning of June and
"do" Normandy and whatever shows are on in the June early July time
period, which will mean missing out on W&P. Or miss Normandy and "do"
W&P and whatever shows are on late June to late July very early August?

What shows are worth pivoting our holiday around?

Opinions please one and all?

Thanks
Doug

Ian Garbutt

non lue,
14 oct. 2016, 19:03:4014/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com

Doug
Would recommend visiting the Yorkshire Wartime Experience 7 - 9 July 2017.  Base yourself in York (which is lovely city) (where I live) and also visit a bunch of castles in the locale and also the Royal Armouries in Leeds.
Duxford in Cambridgeshire is a brilliant museum as well.  Mainly aircraft but has a substantial vehicle collectiom as well.
Kind regards
Ian

dgrev

non lue,
14 oct. 2016, 21:01:1614/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com
Ian

Thanks for the info.

This is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string", but
how "big" is the YWE event in relative terms?

We did do Duxford in 1999, were looking through their Concorde
when the one crashed in France. Still makes me cringe.
The planes were well presented and the hangars well lit.
The vehicles hall of Duxford back then iss best described
as "dark", which made it hard to appreciate the vehicles. Sort
of like they begrudged having them there.

Good comment about York, it was already on the list, due to
being a walled city and the National Rail Museum. Hopefully
the Yorvik Viking centre is above water as last time the
only way to view it was if wearing Scuba gear.

Regards
> an email to mil-veh+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --

Ian Garbutt

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 01:44:4815/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com

Doug
To answer your questions:
1. The YWE is the biggest show in the north of England circa 450 vehicles attended last year. In terms of scale it's a lot smaller than war in peace (used to be), but is good day out all the same.  They have a very active Facebook page and there is a web site with lots pics.  I went last year with my CCKW and enjoyed it a lot.
Depending on what time you are over there are other smaller shows you could see as well or instead of.   For instance there is a 1940 event in Harrogate in latest Jun. Harrogate is a lovely town to visit as is Knaresborough. I've lived in both.  They are about a 40 min drive from York.  The Yorick centre was flooded again last winter but with new pumps installed hopefully that won't happen again.
2.  The Duxford vehicle hall is a still a bit dark...   LOL

Have you guys visited North Wales?  If not suggest think about it.  3 hour drive from York. Spend a couple of days there if you can. Amazing scenery lots of historic stuff such as cast!es and old railways.
Kind regards
Ian

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
<https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
<https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

dgrev

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 05:52:0415/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com
Ian

Thanks for your reply.

What are your thoughts regarding Normandy?

Regards
Doug

> Doug
> To answer your questions:
> 1. The YWE is the biggest show in the north of England circa 450
> vehicles attended last year. In terms of scale it's a lot smaller than
> war in peace (used to be), but is good day out all the same. They have
> a very active Facebook page and there is a web site with lots pics. I
> went last year with my CCKW and enjoyed it a lot.
> Depending on what time you are over there are other smaller shows you
> could see as well or instead of. For instance there is a 1940 event in
> Harrogate in latest Jun. Harrogate is a lovely town to visit as is
> Knaresborough. I've lived in both. They are about a 40 min drive from
> York. The Yorick centre was flooded again last winter but with new
> pumps installed hopefully that won't happen again.
> 2. The Duxford vehicle hall is a still a bit dark... LOL
>
> Have you guys visited North Wales? If not suggest think about it. 3
> hour drive from York. Spend a couple of days there if you can. Amazing
> scenery lots of historic stuff such as cast!es and old railways.
> Kind regards
> Ian
>

> On Oct 15, 2016 2:01 AM, "dgrev" <dg...@iinet.net.au
> an email to mil-veh+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>
> --
> it, send
> an email to mil-veh+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil-veh+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
>
> --

Ian Garbutt

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 06:05:3515/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com

Doug
I can't give you any worthwhile advise regarding Normandy, other than to say lots of people still go with their vehicles even when its not an aniversary date. Beyond that I can't give a worthwhile opinion.
Its a shape War &Peace is going downhill, it will still be a big event though. From what I've heard a lot less armour was in evidence last year.

        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>
        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>>.

        Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>
        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>>.

        Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
    <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

dgrev

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 06:10:1215/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com
Ian

> I can't give you any worthwhile advise regarding Normandy, other than to
> say lots of people still go with their vehicles even when its not an
> aniversary date.

Ok, thanks.

> Beyond that I can't give a worthwhile opinion.

Something is better than nothing.

> Its a shape War &Peace is going downhill, it will still be a big event
> though. From what I've heard a lot less armour was in evidence last year.

I have heard that medium to heavy armour could be counted on one hand?

That is a huge decline from previous years. I wonder if the free
carriage service has ceased, where armour owners would get
their vehicles transported to and from by trucks provided and
paid for by W&P?

Regards
Doug

> On 15 Oct 2016 10:52, "dgrev" <dg...@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil-veh%252Buns...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> To post to this group, send email to
> mil...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> <mailto:mil-veh+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil-veh%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:mil-veh%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> To post to this group, send email to
> mil...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:mil...@googlegroups.com>>>.
> Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
> <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
>

> --
>
> --
>

> --
>
> --

Ian Garbutt

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 06:48:2915/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com

Doug
Yes, I think that may the case that W&P aren't helping out with transport costs. I know that Yorkshire Wartime Experience (YWE) helped some tank owners out.  This year they had a working Stug IIID which was a sight to see running around. Here's a pic of my truck with an M36 that was also running around :)

As another thought, Dover Castle is a great place to visit, also Portsmouth where HMS vistory is berthed.

        mil...@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>
            <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com
        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>>.

            Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>
            <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
            <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.

        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>
        <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com <mailto:mil-veh@googlegroups.com>>.

        Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh
    <https://groups.google.com/group/mil-veh>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

20160710_090133.jpg

dgrev

non lue,
15 oct. 2016, 17:47:3915/10/2016
à mil...@googlegroups.com
Ian

> a sight to see running around. Here's a pic of my truck with an M36 that
> was also running around :)

Navy grey, makes a difference from green.

> As another thought, Dover Castle is a great place to visit, also
> Portsmouth where HMS vistory is berthed.

Noted with thanks.

Regards
Doug

> On 15 Oct 2016 11:10, "dgrev" <dg...@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:dg...@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> Ian
>
> I can't give you any worthwhile advise regarding Normandy, other
> than to
> say lots of people still go with their vehicles even when its not an
> aniversary date.
>

> Ok, thanks.
>
> Beyond that I can't give a worthwhile opinion.
>

> Something is better than nothing.
>
> Its a shape War &Peace is going downhill, it will still be a big
> event
> though. From what I've heard a lot less armour was in evidence
> last year.
>

> I have heard that medium to heavy armour could be counted on one hand?
>
> That is a huge decline from previous years. I wonder if the free
> carriage service has ceased, where armour owners would get
> their vehicles transported to and from by trucks provided and
> paid for by W&P?
>
> Regards
> Doug
>
> On 15 Oct 2016 10:52, "dgrev" <dg...@iinet.net.au