Model policies / process for publishing open source projects?

David Cantrell

Mar 28, 2023, 4:29:22 PM3/28/23
to mil...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all,

I have an org (mil) looking to publish some (extremely simple) code examples and templates online so other mil orgs can take advantage of them without needing to manage access to any sensitive source repos. There's nothing sensitive in the code at all so github seems a perfect fit, but that would entail establishing an official account, building internal policies regarding account ownership and boundaries of use, policies on what can or can't be published, etc.

Are there any lists of what DoD / Air Force policies apply to the act of reviewing and publishing itself? I'm looking for some helpful guidance in navigating the process of (1) setting up this type of internal process so we can have good policy in place to help reduce the burden when more people ask "can I also do X" which is inevitable, and (2) ensuring we check the right boxes along the way so we don't run afoul of any policies.

Thanks!

Dave

John Scott

Mar 28, 2023, 4:34:03 PM3/28/23
to David Cantrell, mil...@googlegroups.com, Deborah Bryant
there is this:

Also: Sounds like an excellent question for the OSI licensing workshop next month
js

www.mil-oss.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Military Open Source Software (Mil-OSS)" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mil-oss/BDE76461-2937-476B-8B0D-BAF5105A3D8F%40gmail.com.

Deb Bryant

Mar 28, 2023, 4:55:53 PM3/28/23
to Military Open Source Software (Mil-OSS)
Oh gentlemen thank you for the opportunity to shamelessly plug an entirely relevant resource your way, better than a list, rather short stack of experts on the topic.  Besides having policy work Dan Risacher contributing to the program, the clinic will be attended by lots of agencies, including .mil; it's a question that might be asked there (and we promise to write down the answer and include it in the proceedings).  Next Tuesday April 4, 2023 in downtown D.C. , see the link and registration page for details.

Free to folks with .gov and .mil email addresses

If you have any questions or would like to contribute drop a line to me at my OSI email address-  deb dot bryant at opensource dot com.

Cheers,

Deb

Mark Bohannon

Mar 31, 2023, 5:58:04 PM3/31/23
to mil...@googlegroups.com, Bryant, Deborah
There was also a useful submission by Deb, Dave Egts and myself done in 2016 in response to the Obama Federal Source Code Policy which had some good considerations for releasing code.  I can't seem to find it (unlike so much else) on the 'Net now ....