I have added shutdown and reboot commands for the CLI.

Çınar Yılmaz

May 26, 2021, 5:00:39 PM5/26/21
to MikeOS
Here is the file:
https://github.com/Comrade-Otaku/mikeos/blob/main/source/features/cli.asm

Actually it is a simple thing but since there is no such command I wanted to add it.

Michael Saunders

May 26, 2021, 5:17:18 PM5/26/21
to Çınar Yılmaz, MikeOS
Thanks, but you might want to add some comments -- all we see in the
shutdown call is a bunch of registers being set up with unknown
values. Add some comments what they are, and I may include it in the
next release :-)

Çınar Yılmaz

May 27, 2021, 3:15:38 AM5/27/21
to MikeOS
I've added comment lines, hopefully it's more understandable now. I also deleted a few lines of unnecessary code.

Michael Saunders

May 28, 2021, 5:29:53 AM5/28/21
to Çınar Yılmaz, MikeOS
OK, thanks Çınar. Re: rebooting and "jmp 0xffff:0", what actually
happens after this? Like, I'm wondering what state the registers and
RAM will be in when MikeOS starts again...
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/5112baad-0f6d-420a-8bf6-ef3757b6f85cn%40googlegroups.com.

Çınar Yılmaz

May 28, 2021, 8:00:33 AM5/28/21
to MikeOS
I think registers are reset when rebooting. But I'm not sure.

procha...@gmail.com

May 28, 2021, 8:39:17 AM5/28/21
to MikeOS
"jmp 0xFFFF:0" jumps to the BIOS initialization routine, which is supposed to initialize everything (including RAM, registers etc) from an unknown state.

Michael Saunders

May 28, 2021, 9:07:44 AM5/28/21
to procha...@gmail.com, MikeOS
OK, sounds good. I'll add them to a 4.7 beta release and we can test.
There are a bunch of things to include, which've been posted here (or
sent to me) in the last six months or so... I should get some free
time in early June to roll them in and make a beta.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/26f8049a-8155-4b0f-8c49-a5233d95e4a6n%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted