Hello MikeOS

Jonathan Shockley

Mar 26, 2023, 6:05:07 PM3/26/23
to MikeOS
Hello everyone.  Just wanted to check in with a brief introduction.  My name is Jonathan and I just discovered MikeOS.   So far I have really enjoyed the content.  Thanks so much to everyone who made this possible.

I have been a retro computer enthusiast for a number of years, primarily focused on 6502 based computers.  My only real experience with assembly language programming is with the 6502 and 65816, so MikeOS has been a great way to get into x86 assembly.

One question for the group.  I am interested in the possibility of using MikeOS to turn a PC into a dumb terminal.  Many homebrew retro computers include a serial device of some sort.  Typically we connect them to the PC using an FTDI UART adapter.  I see that MikeOS has support for serial connections via a null-modem cable.  I am interested in a 5volt USB solution.  Anyway MikeOS could communicate directly with say an Arduino via USB?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Michael Saunders

Mar 27, 2023, 9:24:17 AM3/27/23
to Jonathan Shockley, MikeOS
Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear that MikeOS has been useful in your x86 assembly
explorations! I plan to learn 6502 some day as well :-)

Re: USB, I don't think anyone has gotten anything USB-related working
on MikeOS, given all of its limitations. There are some very small USB
stacks out there, but still probably way too demanding for MikeOS.
Happy to be proven wrong though :-)

Cheers,
Mike