MikeOS on a luggable 386

Justin Miller

Apr 21, 2021, 1:27:55 PM4/21/21
to MikeOS

If you're curious, I recently discovered MikeOS (as well as MichalOS) and got both running on a circa-1989 386 luggable! Pretty fun. I'm recently getting back into old systems & their BASICs, as well as newly into electronics, so I'm starting to meet in the middle with old assembly code and lower-level stuff after a career of higher-level programming. Very fun. Thanks for this project.

Cheers,

JM

IMG_5640.JPGIMG_5639.JPG

Michael Mouton

Apr 21, 2021, 1:39:57 PM4/21/21
to Justin Miller, MikeOS
That's awesome!  Hope you enjoy it and share some more pictures as you go aling!

MikeOS truely is an amazing OS.  Helped me get into NASM a few years ago.

Experiment, and don't be afraid to try.

Regards
Michael Mouton

Michael Saunders

Apr 22, 2021, 3:27:16 AM4/22/21
to Justin Miller, MikeOS
Hi Justin,

That's awesome! Can I add the first pic to http://mikeos.sourceforge.net ?

I'm tempted to get some old hardware and see if I can get MikeOS working on it as well. As a kid, I always wanted an Atari Portfolio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Portfolio

Just had a quick look on eBay, though, and they're pretty pricey (at least, for working units)...

Cheers,
Mike

Justin Miller

Apr 22, 2021, 2:41:56 PM4/22/21
to MikeOS
Sure, but I could also provide a higher-quality version the next time I pull the machine out. That’s one downside: I need to clear some table space when I fire this thing up. More if want to use an external (color) VGA monitor.

If anyone's curious about the backstory behind getting this particular machine running, I blogged a small series:

It cost me $20 originally but... considerable time and puzzling.

Cheers!

JM