Re: MikeOS will not boot from USB-stick

Message has been deleted

Mark M

May 7, 2020, 4:39:11 PM5/7/20
to MikeOS
Did you use dd from Windows?  I downloaded a version of dd for Windows.  Anyway, I found out it worked better using Linux.  So I use Ubuntu on a virtual machine when I want to write the image to a USB stick.  Have you tried using MikeOS on a virtual machine?

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 12:33:24 AM UTC-7, Luca Kalliomaa wrote:
I installed the MikeOS on a USB-stick to try to boot from it after my own OS i made wouldn't boot. I turned on legacy boot support from the bios settings  and then from boot options I choose the USB stick, but then it just said "Insert bootable medium and press any key", it said the same for both mine os and MikeOS. My OS was made following the instructions: http://mikeos.sourceforge.net/write-your-own-os.html . Later when I used the dd command to write the os.flp straight to a USB stick witch had a FAT32 filesystem it just booted into a black screen with a blinking white text-cursor. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I'm using a HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-dr0xxx (64bit) Intel core i7 (8th gen).

Mark M

May 7, 2020, 6:44:51 PM5/7/20
to MikeOS
It could also be the FAT32 file system.  It should be FAT and not FAT32.  I notice when I try to format a USB stick in Windows I get the following choices:  NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT.  However, if you do a format from the command line you get these choices: FAT, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, or UDF.  You have to use the switch /FS:FAT.

Michal Procházka

May 8, 2020, 4:09:07 AM5/8/20
to MikeOS
I don't think the FS that was on the USB stick should matter, since by dd-ing the image onto it, you're reformatting it as a 1.44 MB floppy. I've had two HP laptops which would refuse to boot these floppy-like USB sticks, but it worked when I wrote the image onto a real floppy and used a USB floppy drive.

Also, if you want to write the image onto a USB stick without using the command line, try Win32 Disk Imager, see if that helps.

Mark M

May 8, 2020, 4:55:51 PM5/8/20
to MikeOS
Ok, I guess FAT32 has nothing to do with your problem (even though the image won't be FAT32 if it works).  I see you turned on legacy support.  I wonder if you have to turn off secure boot or if that is done automatically when you turn on legacy support.  Maybe that doesn't matter either, just a guess.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark M

May 12, 2020, 5:16:52 PM5/12/20
to MikeOS
I have a different model HP computer.  Here are some more settings I have set.  Security --> Master Boot Record Security --> Disabled.  Security --> System Security --> Embedded Security Device --> Disabled.

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 11:30:21 PM UTC-7, Luca Kalliomaa wrote:
I had secure boot off from earlier