How can I invoke the BASIC interpreter in the folder "/source/feature"?

enming Yang

Nov 12, 2023, 7:01:12 AM11/12/23
to MikeOS
When I tried to assemble the basic.asm with nasm it throws errors saying that many symbols os_string_* are not defined.So should I link it with anything missed or just that the interpreter is uncompleted?I'm playing v4.7.0.

Michael Saunders

Nov 12, 2023, 11:29:52 AM11/12/23
to enming Yang, MikeOS
Uhh, you can't just assemble it on its own. It's part of the MikeOS
kernel and needs to be assembled as part of the OS.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 at 13:01, enming Yang <enmin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I tried to assemble the basic.asm with nasm it throws errors saying that many symbols os_string_* are not defined.So should I link it with anything missed or just that the interpreter is uncompleted?I'm playing v4.7.0.

Ch H

Mar 14, 2024, 2:35:11 AMMar 14
to MikeOS

Well I have assembled many part of Mike os on their own, you just have to copy all the routines listed. I does take some work, but in the end I will work

Walt Nagel

Mar 14, 2024, 8:39:24 AMMar 14
to mik...@googlegroups.com

Since you have assembled portions of the kernel as individual programs you must be familiar with the System Development and Application Development manuals.

Changing the BASIC interpreter to a stand-alone executable requires a little work, but can be done (consider the attached an example, not a finished product). As discussed in the references, to eliminate the undefined messages the standard include file (mikedev.inc) needs to be added to the source.

We also need to supply support code to the detached program that was previously provided by the kernel. To make it stand out in the example, the added code is offset with %if ... %endif.

Hope this is helpful.

basic1.asm

Ch H

Mar 16, 2024, 4:52:54 AMMar 16
to MikeOS

Yes, but I also kind of figured it out myself. Any way, you kan just do what I did and literally copy the source files from the /source/features. I just copied out the specific routines required and put them into a single file and included it into the program, if you get what I mean