Parallel run using migrate-n-mpi stops running, no clear error message

Thijs Mattheus Peter Bal

Jul 6, 2022, 11:07:52 AM7/6/22
to migrate-support
Hello,

My runs using the parallel version "migrate-n-mpi" just stop after a few hours, with no clear error message appearing in the printed output. The dataset (see attached "migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_infile") can be summarised as:
  • 8 populations
  • 38 loci (SNPs)
For now I was mostly just using the default settings (see attached "migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_parmfile"), but I made sure the input data type was set to SNPs. In the printed output I see that the burn-in and sampling of each loci seems to be completed, but shortly after this stage the program just stops running (see attached "migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_outputlog"). Since I was running only 1 replicate I initiated the run using (38 x 1) +1 = 39 cores.

What could be the problem, or where could I possibly find out what the problem is? First I thought it could have been a memory issue, but this does not seem the case.

(ps. I have been running the same dataset under the same settings in the single CPU "migrate-n" version and that seems to work fine. In the printed output I see that the program has reached the stage at which the parameters are being printed and the prognosed run time is given. However, this run will just take very long so I would like to successfully run the parallel version.)

I appreciate any suggestions/tips.

Thijs M.P. Bal

migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_outputlog.log
migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_infile.txt
migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_parmfile

Peter Beerli

Jul 7, 2022, 9:53:28 AM7/7/22
to migrate...@googlegroups.com
Thijs

In the parmfile I changed

mig-histogram=YES:0.001000:/home/thijs/projects/Stickleback/WGS2018/3s/MIGRATE/Output-MPI/ThreeSpined_filtered_SNP_DP3_GQ20_Bi_Miss10_MAF005_PopOrder_subset_MIG-N

mig-histogram=NO

and it works fine, particularly for first runs I would always try to do very short runs e.g. use long-inc=5 and long-sample=1000 and burnin-in=100
to check whether it works and then increase the values.

I find the migration histograms through time rather unhelpful with data such as a single-snps because an individual locus does not have great information about what happened in the past.

if you start migrate-n in a shell in a particular directory you will not need to give the absolute path to the files, the filename only will be fine.

Peter

<migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_outputlog.log><migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_infile.txt><migrate-n-mpi_8pop_38loci_parmfile>

Thijs Mattheus Peter Bal

Jul 7, 2022, 10:08:30 AM7/7/22
to migrate-support
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the quick response and for having a look at my files. I will start a new run following your recommendations.

Thijs

Thijs Mattheus Peter Bal

Jul 7, 2022, 12:56:54 PM7/7/22
to migrate-support
Hi Peter,

Additional update: the run has completed and the output file was successfully created. The histograms and ESS look good already, put will carefully experiment now whether longer runs make any difference. Thanks again, looking forward to test some different types of population genetic models now!

Thijs