Background

Youssef Antonio Mazlum

Feb 16, 2022, 7:46:35 AM2/16/22
to migrate-support
Hi,
I need to run migrate-n program in linux for 2 or more simultaneous analysis.
Question, how can I run each analysis in background and leave it running for later collection of results?
Thanks

Youssef Mazlum

__________________________
Aviso de confidencialidade

Esta mensagem da Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), empresa publica federal  regida pelo disposto  na Lei Federal no. 5.851,  de 7 de dezembro de 1972,  e  enviada exclusivamente  a seu destinatario e pode conter informacoes  confidenciais, protegidas  por sigilo profissional.  Sua utilizacao desautorizada  e ilegal e  sujeita o infrator as penas da lei. Se voce  a recebeu indevidamente, queira, por gentileza, reenvia-la ao emitente, esclarecendo o equivoco.

Confidentiality note

This message from Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), a government company  established under  Brazilian law (5.851/72), is directed exclusively to  its addressee  and may contain confidential data,  protected under  professional secrecy  rules. Its unauthorized  use is illegal and  may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you are not the addressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure.

Peter Beerli

Feb 16, 2022, 9:08:41 AM2/16/22
to migrate...@googlegroups.com
Youssef,

put the data in two different directories with their own parmfiles then
cd dir1
migrate-n parmfile1 -nomenu > log1 2>&1 &
cd ../dir2
migrate-n parmfile2 -nomenu > log2 2>&1 &

hope this works for you, I assume that migrate-n can be found on your $PATH, although
I assume that you know how to do that, I post it for future questions/answers:

- create a directory bin in your home directory, for example, my home directory is on /Users/beerli
[rememember you will need to change /Users/beerli to your own homedirectory on your machine; also before you make these changes open another terminal window that may help you to get back in case something goes wrong!]
so I do:

cd
mkdir bin

- I assume you have migrate-n in a directory on your Desktop, e.g. it is /Users/beerli/Desktop/migrate-5.0.2
I further assume the binary is in the src directory in there; now copy the migrate binary to your bin

cp /Users/beerli/Desktop/migrate-5.0.2/src/migrate-n /Users/beerli/bin/

- depending on your shell (I assume bash or zsh) and whether your execution path already exists, check first:
echo $SHELL     # for me gives the /bin/zsh
echo $PATH
# mine delivers a long list like this:
#/opt/homebrew/anaconda3/condabin:.:/Users/beerli/bin:/usr/bin:/opt/homebrew/bin:/opt/homebrew/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

if you use bash check whether you have a .bash_profile then edit that file searching for export PATH
if it is in there then add after that (or at the end of the file), if it is not in there just add at the end
export PATH=/Users/beerli/bin:$PATH

if you use zsh (new macs) then add to the .zshrc file at the end
export PATH=/Users/beerli/bin:$PATH

- now your done , test it by opening a new terminal, use
ls     #this should show the current directory [of nothing happens your edit of the PATH has a typo, use the safe terminal to reedit the files and fixe the error, now try again opening a terminal window, if ls is still failing
you may need to talk to someone who knows more about UNIX than you. If all works then you should be able to call
migrate-n now from anywhere, try it.

[any improvement of these instructions would be welcome]

Peter

Dr. Peter Beerli
(he/him)
Professor
Scientific Computing
Dirac Building
Florida State University
Tallahassee FL 32306-4120
web: http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~pbeerli
skype: pitbeerli
<smallpox and polio got stamped out with vaccines, help to do your part stamping out COVID>