Midnight Lizard turns dark background of browser pdf into light grey

Nathan M

Oct 2, 2023, 4:47:55 PM10/2/23
to Midnight Lizard Support
Although the newer versions of Midnight Lizard now also work on browser PDFs (which is awesome!) they also now invert the dark, blackish background. This makes them light grey, which is too bright for the eyes. So it would be great if only the document part was inverted (from white to black) but not the pdf reader part of the browser (which now turns to light grey but is actually perfect at dark grey). If left at dark grey while the pdf document is inverted from black on white text to white on black text, it will still be distinguishable.

2023-10-02_22h31_54.png
preferable outcome (photoshopped).png
2023-10-02_22h31_12.png

Nathan M

Oct 16, 2023, 4:42:57 PM10/16/23
to Midnight Lizard Support
The solution that has been provided is excellent: the pdf reader still has a dark grey background and then there is a light grey bar around the document that distinguishes it from the inverted document (in most cases inverted from white to black in night mode). So the issue is mostly solved and I want to say it works like a charm.

However, I noticed that this feature only works for in-website pdfs that are opened on the local website itself. If a pdf is for example downloaded and later opened with the pdf viewer from the browser, it will not work. So if the pdf file is opened directly from the user's own disk (the C disk for example), Midnight Lizard will not work. Probably because it does not have these permissions. I am guessing this has to do with extension safety and browser safety.
Would it be possible to use a pop-up instead, in which the user can grant Midnight Lizard file access to the relevant local pdf? This file access would only be granted to the specific local file (not the entire folder) and only for the duration of the browser session. Afterwards the permission will be erased and there will again be an option within Midnight Lizard to grant permission. This is a small hurdle to make sure even local pdfs can be read in the inverted dark mode that was so perfectly designed a while ago.

Nathan M

Oct 16, 2023, 4:48:47 PM10/16/23
to Midnight Lizard Support
Or maybe there is another solution, I am really open to anything! It would just be great to use dark mode on local pdfs as well.