Looking for new Midje owner

Brian Marick

Mar 20, 2016, 6:46:39 PM3/20/16
to mi...@googlegroups.com
The status of Midje is: uneasy.

- It *is* my first Clojure project, metastasized. It's useful, but a
good chunk of the code behind it is problematic.

- There are some substantial user-experience improvements that could be
made. In particular, I wrote the Structural-Typing library
https://github.com/marick/structural-typing/ in part as a way to (1)
improve Midje's error reporting for collections, and (2) make a jump
that I think is needed: to get away from tests that compare complicated
structures with equality, toward more surgical descriptions of expected
values.

- I see a fairly clear path toward making Midje both more capable and
more "habitable" for a maintainer.
https://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/PatternsOfSoftware.pdf [PDF that
includes chapters on RPG's idea of "habitable code".]

- I've not really devoted enough time to Midje over the past N years.
There are too many open issues. Not many of them are bugs per se, but
rather annoyances for people who use Midje differently than I do.

- For a mixture of personal and technical reasons, I expect my future
unpaid and open source work to focus on Elixir, Phoenix, and Elm.

- But I don't just want Midje to be swamped by the first-mover advantage
of `clojure.test`. I really do think it has some good ideas in it.

- More importantly: I continue to make part of my living by coding in
Clojure, and I'd rather not have to use `clojure.test` because Midje is
abandonware.

If anyone is interested in the glory of maintaining a modestly popular
open source project, contact me. I'm willing to put in a fair amount of
effort toward helping you, including considerable amount of work
correcting my past mistakes, explaining code, etc.