BCF2000 invert rotation

Andy M

Mar 22, 2018, 6:42:53 AM3/22/18
to MIDI2LR
I've been using Midi2LR for a while now and love it!
The only thing driving me nuts is the vignette rotation direction

I only apply black/dark vignettes and my brain's wired to turn the dial clockwise to do that - For months I've tried to reprogram myself and it's simply not working.

Is there any way to reverse the rotation/value of encoder #8 (the one next to the LED display) so clockwise rotation has a reversed effect?

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Mar 22, 2018, 8:45:00 AM3/22/18
to MIDI2LR
AFAIK with the X-Touch Mini the X-Touch editor can not change the behaviour of the encoders, although it does work with the fader, by swapping the minimum and maximum values. With a bit of effort it should be possible to modify the plugin to invert the Post-Crop Vignette amount but the simpler method will be to retrain your brain to understand that amount means the quantity of light and turning counter clockwise (left) reduces the amount of light while turning clockwise increases the amount of light. The logic is that the vignette is always there, you do not vary the quantity of vignette,  you vary the intensity within the vignette. This can be made visible by setting the Feather and Roundness to 0, with Amount set to +100 the vignette will be white (lots of light,full turn right) and with Amount set to -100 the vignette will be black (no light,full turn left).

Andy M

Mar 22, 2018, 9:57:11 AM3/22/18
to MIDI2LR
"the simpler method will be to retrain your brain" - You'd think so wouldn't you :-D

I'm still looking at it as 'add black vignette' which is a positive action, adding something, and I am just looking for an easy out!
I guess it will eventually become second-nature, I was just hoping it was a matter of 'change x to -127' or something as easy as that.

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Mar 22, 2018, 11:11:17 AM3/22/18
to MIDI2LR
I understand you problem, you are not alone as I have also problems with this particular feature.
Theoretically there are a few "corrections" that may help but when you start digging it becomes obvious that there is only one solution.
Let's assume that the midi controller can be convinced to reverse the encoder scale, meaning left is 127 and right is 0, then turning
the encoder will be opposite to the movement of the slider, turn the knob left and the slider will go to the right because for the slider
the minimum is left and maximum is right. The other thought to use negative values you cannot be done because MIDI does not support this.
The "simplest" workaround could be to make a change in the module to invert the value of "Post-Crop Vignetting Amount", this could be applied
to the MIDI value (0..127) or to the internal representation (0.0..1.0), that would cause the slider to go right when you turn left, that is after some
more changes have been made in the MIDI output path. Now it becomes difficult because changing the "Post-Crop Vignetting Amount" is not just MIDI to LR,
it also involves LR to MIDI (encoder) and LR to MIDI (led) and MIDI to MIDI (internal). When you use the mouse to move the slider the new value is used to update the MIDI controller, which means that the internal LR value is translated to an inverted MIDI value which is send to the controller, this value is used to update the internal encoder value and the LED display.  At this point another difficulty surfaces, the LED moves from left to right but inverted it has to move from right to left meaning from 127 to 0, which is something the MIDI controller does not support. At this moment in time I give up because this "issue" can not be solved in MIDI2LR, the only place would be to change the working of the slider in LR. But you will never be able to convince Adobe because there you will receive the same explanation as already provided: you vary the amount (intensity) from 0 (left) to 100(right) (which is the same logic as exposure).
You are right, somehow the "Post-Crop Vignetting Amount" works "differently" but when you look at the way LR works it makes sense because the vignette is a (filter) mask and you vary the amount of effect within this mask which is very different from varying the projection of an (vignette) overlay onto the photo. The same logic applies to every filter (Gradient, Radial, Adjustment Brush): to darken/reduce you move the slider/knob to the left.

Andy M

Mar 28, 2018, 4:13:47 PM3/28/18
to MIDI2LR

I'm getting there gradually - considering it as 'darken corners' now instead of 'adding darkness' - who'd have thought it'd take this much concentration :-)
Many thanks for the advice Ernst