Version 3.0.0.11 Released (finally)

Rory Jaffe

Mar 13, 2019, 7:07:36 PM3/13/19
to MIDI2LR
Thanks for all who helped debug this release. This was a major update from previous versions—lots of internal changes that required lots of debugging. Lots of MacOS fixes, app now translated, and many other changes.

Note to users of previous tests of 3.0.0. In your profile files, please edit unmapped to be Unmapped. Sorry for the error in capitalization in the tests. unmapped will show as an error when loading the profile file.

Some old commands have been removed from MIDI2LR. You will get an error if you load a profile with these commands. To fix, edit the profile files and replace the commands as follows:

  • CopySettings is now LRCopy
  • PasteSettings is now LRPaste
  • PasteSelectedSettings is now LRPaste

Feedback is needed, particularly from MacOS users and non-English users—please post feedback in the MIDI2LR Google Discussion Group. There are several big changes in the Mac version that should address the issues sending keystrokes to LR. Read below for details. And there is a major change to the app interface for languages other than English.

App now translated into all Lightroom-supported languages

  • Major upgrade. MIDI2LR app should be fully translated into the language you are using for Lightroom.
  • Improvement. Major changes to application database and way the program is handles menus. This enables 1) easier additions to commands and menu structure, 2) dynamic loading of app menu, 3) full translation of app.

MacOS-specific Changes

  • New MacOS Mojave-compatible installer.
  • Bug fix. MacOS Mojave security was blocking keystrokes from app to Lightroom. Now you should see a dialog box the first time MIDI2LR attempts to send keystrokes to Lightroom. See the Wiki's installation instructions for more on enabling keystroke sending. This was mostly Apple's bug—this issue caught a lot of developers by surprise and the fix was not provided by Apple.
  • Bug fix. MacOS keystrokes that weren't in the key-value map caused an exception. Now you should see a dialog box listing the key that isn't supported.
  • Bug fix. Some users, particularly when using Mojave, were having to rescan devices to connect to their MIDI device. Now most users should not have to rescan, as app now adds a delay to allow MacOS MIDI services to start up. If you are still having problems, please post post feedback in the MIDI2LR Google Discussion Group.
  • Bug fix. MacOS no longer blocking the application when it checks for updates.
  • Enhancement. Keystrokes now accepts shifted keys as well as unshifted keys.
  • Bug fix. Random exceptions when sending keystrokes, fixed.

Other Changes

  • New actions (only available in Lightroom versions 7.4 and later).
    • Rotate Left and Rotate Right (General submenu). Rotates all selected photos 90 degrees left or right.
    • Show Full Screen and Hide Panels (General submenu).
    • Show Full Preview (General submenu).
    • Edit in photoshop (Library submenu).
    • Reset all transforms (Develop submenu).
    • Export, open export dialog (Library submenu).
    • Export, using previous dialog settings (Library submenu).
    • Enable tone curve (was originally in MIDI2LR, removed when it was discovered Adobe LR failed to support it, now back as Adobe has fixed its 6-year-old bug).
  • Improved actions in Lightroom versions 7.4 and later. Autotone and White Balance Auto are no longer experimental. Lightroom now supports those two explicitly with functions. As a result, auto tone should behave like the autotone button in Lightroom.
  • Behavior change. Apply keyword now applies it to all selected photos, not just current photo.
  • Bug fix. Autohide had been removed from the app. Now it is restored and working.
  • Bug fix. Crash on CycleMaskOverlayColor fixed.
  • Bug fix. Control Options display now shows correct channel.
  • Minor bug fixes, code cleanup, refactoring, work on reliability.
  • MIDIProbe again in the installation package for debugging use.
  • Improvement. Better unicode handling.
  • Bug fix. Pitchwheel ranges weren't being saved. Fixed.
  • Change. settings.bin is now settings.xml. The program will read old settings.bin if settings.xml not yet generated (picks up settings saved in the former format then saves it in the new format).
  • Improvement. MIDI2LR no longer writes to the plugin directory. This makes it easier to choose a directory for installation, as you don't have to worry about directory privilege settings.
    • In Windows, all files (except for profile files), will be written to the %appdata%\MIDI2LR directory (type that in the address bar of the file explorer to jump to the correct directory).
    • In MacOS, log files go to ~/Library/Logs/MIDI2LR/ and other files go to ~/Library/Application Support/MIDI2LR/.
  • Files that MIDI2LR writes are:
    • default.xml — default mapping if profile file not found on startup
    • MenuTrans.xml — menus for application in language that Lightroom is using — this is dynamically loaded by the application to enable on-the-fly translation of the application interface.
    • MIDI2LR.log — log file from app showing settings and errors, useful for debugging
    • MIDI2LR.xml — default settings for app (e.g., profile directory, pickup mode)
    • MIDI2LRinfo.txt — report from lua plugin for debugging
    • settings.xml — MIDI controller settings (e.g., twos complement controls, pitchwheel limits, etc.)
  • Deprecated. Selective paste no longer supported.

File hashes for installers. File hashes not provided for debug versions. Always download debug versions directly from https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases, never from a secondary source.

  • Windows
    • CRC32: 9B7C7C8C
    • MD5: 0E9F47859DAB57A425552EC86D0E5952
    • SHA-1: A73E03EBACF6A89510824F8C131B9453359ED2AA
  • MacOS
    • CRC32: BD208A3D
    • MD5: 04254FAF127A9556620681E8A897047D
    • SHA-1: 0280E7E23DA9BC6CCC67987BEF58FCEF056F2257

Mar 14, 2019, 1:45:27 PM3/14/19
to MIDI2LR
Setup has 3 options at the end-- view readme, open manual, open paypal. Only the readme one works here on Windows 10.

Rory Jaffe

Mar 14, 2019, 2:28:46 PM3/14/19
to MIDI2LR
The behavior should be:

First, the readme file opens.

When you close the readme file, your default browser should open to the manual and the paypal donation site.

Works for me on Windows 10. I suggest peeking at your browser—it may have opened those windows without you noticing it, since the action is delayed until after you're finished with the readme file.

Mar 14, 2019, 2:40:07 PM3/14/19
to MIDI2LR
My default browser is Chrome, and all other browsers were disabled. So I tried enabled them all (IE, Edge and Firefox) and even though Chrome is my default, MS Edge opened up like you said. So it's simply just not using my default Chrome browser. I was wondering why I had never seen though other options even though for each release I left all 3 checked.

Rory Jaffe

Mar 14, 2019, 2:42:29 PM3/14/19
to MIDI2LR

Cool Man

Mar 15, 2019, 9:11:52 AM3/15/19
to MIDI2LR
Thank you for a wonderful program. I just want to pass along that I installed 3.0.0.11 over 2.9.5.0 and it froze up and on me stops with a white screen, Lightroom continues to run fine and MID2LR is started nothing works. Tried install twice, checksum OK. Reinstalled 2.9.5.0 over 3 and all worked fine in Lightroom.  I have the Adobe photographer plan with latest update.  Not sure if it's my computer but all previous updates have worked flawlessly.

Mar 15, 2019, 11:38:34 AM3/15/19
to MIDI2LR
Thanks. It would be great if these were clickable links in that ending setup page.

Rory Jaffe

Mar 15, 2019, 11:40:48 AM3/15/19
to MIDI2LR
You could try the steps detailed by another user (in another thread)--I've copied them below. I'm still not sure what's going on.

I now have 3.0.0.11 working. I followed Haree's advice and did the following:
- deleted the MIDI2LR lrplugin folder from the Modules folder - note that my profiles are stored in a different location, I didn't delete them

- deleted a number rollback folders within the Modules folder, there were only MIDI2LR folders in these so I deleted all the rollback folders - I only found these by searching for all instances of MIDI2LR.

- also deleted the <user>/AppData/Roaming/MIDI2LR folder.

- realised I might not have uninstalled correctly so used the uninstall MIDI2LR exe also - no idea if that did anything or not

- reinstalled 3.0.0.11

Success!

So it seems like as Rory indicates, the 3.0.0.11 install was conflicting with some existing 2.x files, and my previous uninstall attempt didn't go far enough. Maybe the rollback directories? Rory, does some part of the load sequence check for the presence of rollback directories?

Anyway, a thorough clean and reinstall seems to have worked. Hope it works for you.

Rory Jaffe

Mar 15, 2019, 4:53:17 PM3/15/19
to mid...@googlegroups.com
Found the problem with freezing after updating. You can fix this by downloading version 3.0.1.0 or doing the following:

Some old commands have been removed from MIDI2LR. You will get an error if you load a profile with these commands. To fix, edit the profile files and replace the commands as follows:

  • CopySettings is now LRCopy
  • PasteSettings is now LRPaste
  • PasteSelectedSettings is now LRPaste

    And some Profiles have been renamed

    • Previous Profile is now PrevPro
    • Next Profile is now NextPro

If you have some of these old commands in your default profile, this version of MIDI2LR may freeze the first time you start it after upgrading. To fix this, remove default.xml. In Windows, you will find the file in the %appdata%\MIDI2LR directory (type that in the address bar of the file explorer to jump to the correct directory). On the Mac, it will be at ~/Library/Application Support/MIDI2LR/. Also, edit your profiles containing the old commands prior to starting MIDI2LR.