Arturia MiniLab Mk II - setup and layouts (in German)

Thomas B

Feb 17, 2018, 11:32:07 AM2/17/18
to MIDI2LR
Hello Everyone !

After much "Trial and error" trainin, I can come upwith a Guideline to Setup the MiniLab:

Introduction
The Arturia MiniLab MkII is a perfect Controller with MIDI2LR for lightroom ! Its build Quality is outstanding. As a tool for (semi)professional musicians it has to bear the partly brutal requirements on stage life. in other words, it has to work seemlessly even if packed in, packed out, fallen down, mistreated by Roadies and so on ... compared with the Arturias the Behringer devices feel like plastic toys.
The MiniLab is a very similar Controller as the Beatstep, but has a 25 keys piano keyboard. If your second Obsession is Music - you will love the possiblity to use one Piece of Hardware for two dieffernet Hobbies. But even if, you have no clue what an Fmajor chord is, you get 25 more Buttons on your Controller device - that makes it really powerful !
Some might like the rastered Encoders of the Beatstep - some don't  ! The MiniLab has stepless Encoders which run veerrry smooth ! Only the first two Encoders are clickable and not that smooth than the others. In DAWs (music Software) they are used as choice knobs, the other 14 are used as "rulers".
I like the MiniLab very much and can absolutely recommend it as THE Lightroom Controller (for just 99,-€ !!!)

Setup

First of all you have to configure the MiniLab with its Setup tool "MIDI Control Center":

1) set all Encoders to Option = "Relative #2 " !!
    (this way it sends MIDI values 1,2 for left and 126,127 for right turn)

2) set all Buttons to Mode = "switched Control" and Option = "Gate"

3) Go to the (global) Decive Settings and set:

     Keyboard channel = choose any!
     Knob acceleration = slow (off)
     Key velocity curve = Full
     Pad velocity curve = Full

(Please find this configuration in the attachment. When you Import them, all configuration will be done !)

Later on you can Change the MIDI channel with the Keyboard and use at "layers" for your controls

When you now configure MIDI2LR, make sure, that all LR commands are set to "Two's complement"
(right click on the command, choose Two's complement, hit "Apply to all")

This is it !!

I have started working with profiles, on order to catch really every fader and Buttons in lightroom. Probabyl I will Experiment with the MIDI channels on just on MIDI2LR Profile and will Report in this Thread.

I also attach my Layouts in a Wordfile, that can be used as accompanying helpfile.
The second file contains the print Layouts. They are not intended to put them directly on the Controller, but to print them, Laminate them and have a flip-over at the side.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers
and have always good light !

Tom

Dvc-settings4LR.minilabmk2_ds
Lightroom_Rel2.minilabmk2
MiniLab Layout prints.docx
MiniLab Profil-Layouts.docx

Thomas B

Feb 17, 2018, 11:35:16 AM2/17/18
to MIDI2LR
you might want to see my corresponding MIDI2LR profiles ?!

A-Grundeinstellungen.xml
C-Graufilter.xml
B-Details.xml
D-Effekte.xml
E-Teiltonung.xml
F-Werkzeuge.xml

Léo Gomes

Feb 22, 2020, 6:56:14 AM2/22/20
to MIDI2LR

180/5000
Hi Thomas, all right?
I'm having trouble configuring the Minilab Mk2 with MIDI2lr. I downloaded your profiles but the encoders just rotate right
  Can someone help me?