Test of repeated actions

Rory Jaffe

Dec 4, 2017, 9:10:18 PM12/4/17
to mid...@googlegroups.com

This beta release is available at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases as v2.6.0.0beta.

NOTE: Mac users should replace the MIDI2LR.app in the v2.6.0.0 download with the attached 2.6.0.1--to try to address a Mac crash issue.

This is for users interested in testing a new feature: repeated actions. Other than that, this is identical to the 2.5.0.3 release.

Repeated actions means that turning a knob will send repeated "button presses" to Lightroom. For example, you could scroll through various photos by sending either next or previous messages. You could also adjust sliders for which there isn't a pre-existing LR API command.

This should work for continuous controls that don't have "hard stops". So don't use this with faders or sliders. Pitchwheels and knobs are its anticipated use. And it should work with absolute knobs as well as those that send difference signals (e.g., -1 and +1). It has not been extensively tested and needs testing on a number of different MIDI control surfaces, thus this beta release.

Currently, the following are supported:

  • Change Brush Size ("Brush — Size"). In local adjustments submenu on app.
  • Change Brush Feather Size. ("Brush — Feather"). In local adjustments submenu on app.
  • Change Current Slider. Changes the slider currently selected ("More — Less Last Modified"). This may allow one knob to control any slider you wish. In develop submenu on app.
  • Change Last Develop Parameter. Changes the slider last used in MIDI2LR ("More — Less"). In develop submenu on app.
  • Next — Previous ("Next Photo — Previous Photo"). Goes to next photo or previous photo. In general submenu on app.
  • Redo — Undo ("Redo — Undo"). In develop submenu on app.
  • Key 37 Key 38 ("Key 38 — Key 37"). Sends Key 38 when rotated clockwise, 37 when rotated counterclockwise. In keyboard shortcuts submenu on app.
  • Key 39 Key 40 ("Key 40 — Key 39"). Sends Key 39 or 40. In keyboard shortcuts submenu on app.

More can be added. Please make suggestions and provide feedback on the Google Group for MIDI2LR. For example, is it "too sensitive"? Does it move too fast for you when you use the repeated actions controls?

MIDI2LR.app.zip

Ralf B.

Dec 7, 2017, 5:10:06 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Hi Rory,

I compiled it on Windows and MacOSX - and had to change some code to get it running on MacOSX:

In the file "LR_IPC_Out.cpp", sub "LR_IPC_OUT::MIDIcmdCallback" I got several declaration errors.
I change it from this:

    if (const auto a = cmdupdown.find(command_to_send); a != cmdupdown.end()) {
        const auto[change, newvalue] = controls_model_->MeasureChange(mm);
        switch (mm.message_type_byte) {

to this:

    const auto a = cmdupdown.find(command_to_send);
    std::pair<short, short> mmPair = controls_model_->MeasureChange(mm);
    if ( a != cmdupdown.end()) {
        auto change = mmPair.first;
        auto newvalue = mmPair.second;
        switch (mm.message_type_byte) {

I use my old Mac mini with El Capitan as my development machine - so maybe a new xCode version does understand the original code.

Now, coming to the testing with the new Plugin, the functionality is FANTASTIC ! Great job !

I tried to map a rotary encoder to "prev/next": you can "fly" through your pictures this way - far more fast then with single buttons !
And I mapped the slider of the X-Touch mini to "More — Less Last Modified" - this way I can change any value with my rotary encoders and use the slider to see "huge changes" of that value - to quickly get from -100 to +100 this works great !

The only things that do not work with MacOSX / Lightroom Classic CC are "Brush Size" and "Brush Feather Size" - there is no effect when using this.

Can I help debugging this ?
...I would need some support with the xCode debuger (as I did not get breakpoints to work right now).

Greatings from Germany, Ralf

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 7, 2017, 5:19:31 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
I have the same result using Lightroom 6.13., the brush / feather does not change.

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 7, 2017, 5:21:44 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
I forgot to mention LR 6.13 under Windows 7.

Ralf B.

Dec 7, 2017, 7:05:14 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
... I'm sorry - I think I missed updating the LUA scripts in the LRPlugin.

I will do it this evening and post the results ( for sure the Brushes will change it's size then ...)

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 7, 2017, 7:24:13 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
I got some new information, ChangeBrushSize does work but there is a problem in the application dialog settings.
When a knob is set to ChangeBrushSize using the application dialog settings then the function does not work, however if the configuration is saved and then reloaded it does work (from that point onwards).

Joshua Wagner

Dec 7, 2017, 8:38:27 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
I love repeated actions, thank you! I'd prefer to have them a bit more sensitive or with an adjustable sensitivity setting but they work right now. Here are results from my x-touch mini as a Mac user:
  • Previous/Next photo: works great!
  • Undo-Redo: works great!
  • ChangeLastDevelopParameter: works, but I need to understand the usefulness of this - it must need to be used alongside another command?
  • ChangeCurrentSlider: no effect (previous mapping still in effect)
  • Key 38-37 & Key 40-39: works in library and develop modules, but only with special keys such as [cursor up/down] and [cursor left/right], all other keyboard shortcuts result in force close of Midi2LR
Force close on Mac OS 10.12.6 and LR CC when using Key 5 on CC8 (8th Rotary Encoder on X-Touch Mini) which is set as ‘l’ to control 'Lights Out' mode. Force Close happens for all keyboard shortcuts I’ve tried, with the exception of special keys such as [cursor up] which work fine. To be clear, force close happens with all button presses and dials that are mapped to keyboard shortcuts, not only repeating action configurations.

Things I've tried:
- different key commands, different encoders/buttons, new blank profile, different modules (crashes in Library and also Develop)

Thread 6 Crashed:: LR_IPC_IN
0   com.rsjaffe.MIDI2LR               0x000000010ee01501 LR_IPC_IN::run() + 6929
1   com.rsjaffe.MIDI2LR               0x000000010ee38198 threadEntryProc + 472
2   libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00007fffcc6bb93b _pthread_body + 180
3   libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00007fffcc6bb887 _pthread_start + 286
4   libsystem_pthread.dylib           0x00007fffcc6bb08d thread_start + 13
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000185
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 8:10:18 PM UTC-6, Rory Jaffe wrote:

This beta release is available at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases as v2.6.0.0beta.

Joshua Wagner

Dec 7, 2017, 9:02:04 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Ernst, I'm on Mac OS 10.12.6 and it I can't get the feather size to do anything in any of the local adjustment brush modes. Brush size seems to work fine, other than that it results in an immediate crash, but I can see that it increments the size by 1 successfully. It only registers one increment before crashing. I don't understand what you mean by 'configuration is saved.'

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 7, 2017, 9:51:56 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/wiki/Application-Settings-Dialog

Press the "Save" button to save the configuration, then press "Load" button to load the configuration.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 7, 2017, 9:58:23 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
It compiles on the newest version of XCode fine. The lines you had to change use a C++17 feature, so it's easy to explain why an older version doesn't support it.

As to brush size/feather. LR didn't act on those codes until I had the brush selected and active on screen. I suspect that's the same with the keyboard shortcuts. One thing to test is, when MIDI2LR can't change the brush size/feather, do the keyboard shortcuts themselves work? If not, then it's just how LR is set up to handle the shortcuts. If yes, then we have more debugging to do.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 7, 2017, 10:06:01 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Thanks for the crash information. Odd that some keystrokes kill it and others don't, as, except for a section in SendKeys.cpp, both special keystrokes and regular keystrokes are handled the same. The keystroke code for MacOS and for Windows is different.

One thing to try to diagnose this crash is to recompile the application, but first move the following line
        std::lock_guard<decltype(mutex_sending_)> lock(mutex_sending_);
to the beginning of the SendKeyUpDown method

Joshua Wagner

Dec 7, 2017, 10:23:17 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Yes, strange. All keystrokes are normal in 2.5.0.3 for me. I've never compiled before but maybe I can download xCode and try to figure it out. I see it in the app store.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 7, 2017, 10:35:07 AM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Once I get some time home I can put together a few tests for those who can't compile this.

Ralf B.

Dec 7, 2017, 5:17:40 PM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
I thought the brushsize did not work because of the old LUA scripts, but that wasn't true.
They were updated as I loaded the plugin from the Source-tree instead of copying it to the LR modules folder.

When trying to change the brush size, only an error sound does play (like when you type in something and a modalk dialog is hindering you from doing that).

As you said it works with keys, I assume that the used keystrokes don't work for my configuration.

I have a german MacOSX with german keyboard and an english LR installation (I like that language more than the translations).
This setuo prevents me from using english shortcuts, because the square brackets are not on my keyboard.
Actually I don't know how to change the size of the brush with a german keyboard.

I changed the keyboard to english and then the encoder does change the size, but not the feather.
...but if I press and hold SHIFT and then rotate the encoder, then feather value is changed with the encoder of the brush size.

Strange, isn't it ?

I will continue searching for a possibility to change brush size with a non-english keyboard in the meanwhile...

Maciej Fersten

Dec 7, 2017, 5:29:24 PM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
If You can add changing crop window size (ie move one corner with locked aspect ratio) then full crop/rotate would be possible on 4 knobs. Rotating is allready, here with repeated action are cursors for moving crop window across, so only change size is not done.

W dniu wtorek, 5 grudnia 2017 03:10:18 UTC+1 użytkownik Rory Jaffe napisał:

This beta release is available at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases as v2.6.0.0beta.

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 7, 2017, 5:37:19 PM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
Maybe I can help you with that but as I am in the same time zone it is now time to get into bed.

The solution under Windows is to create an additional english resource file in the resource directory "en" with the key codes of the german resource file.
Under Windows the path of the german resource file is:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\de\TranslatedStrings_Lr_de_DE.txt
The english resource file must be:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt

The keys in the german resource file are:
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushDecreaseKey=,"
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushDecreaseKeyShifted=;"
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushIncreaseKey=."
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushIncreaseKeyShifted=:"

When you put these entries in the english resource file you will be able to use the keys after restarting LR.

However you do not need these entries to use the midi2lr interface, you only need this if you want to use the keyboard.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 7, 2017, 8:42:56 PM12/7/17
to MIDI2LR
For mac users, try the attached replacement for MIDI2LR.app that was in the version 2.6.0.0beta, to see if this fixes the crash problem.
MIDI2LR.app.zip

Joshua Wagner

Dec 7, 2017, 10:39:44 PM12/7/17
to Rory Jaffe, MIDI2LR
Still crashing immediately when pressing a button mapped to a standard keyboard command. Similar error message to last time. https://pastebin.com/yCBAvQHB

I hope I did the correct thing with that file. I re-ran the 2.6.0.0 installer since I’d done a rollback and then I replaced the Midi2LR.app file in both the Applications folder and inside the package at /Users/jlbt10/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Modules/MIDI2LR.lrplugin/MIDI2LR.app with the one that you just provided and reloaded the plugin in the LR plugin preferences panel. When it crashed I restarted LR for good measure. LR plugin panel shows 2.6 and the Midi2LR window shows 2.6.0.1 so I think everything is connecting.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Rory Jaffe <rsj...@gmail.com> wrote:
For mac users, try the attached replacement for MIDI2LR.app that was in the version 2.6.0.0beta, to see if this fixes the crash problem.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 8, 2017, 9:38:17 AM12/8/17
to MIDI2LR
Yes--if the app shows 2.6.0.1 you've done it correctly. Could you try the following?
Assign a keyboard shortcut in the plugin and app. Use one of the shortcuts that has a letter instead of a cursor key.
Press the MIDI controller button to use the shortcut.
Wait a second or two.
Try the repeated actions knob that has been crashing the app.
Does it still crash?

Joshua Wagner

Dec 8, 2017, 10:18:01 AM12/8/17
to MIDI2LR
Installed as you indicated with 2.6.0.1 showing in Midi2LR.

Assigned ‘b’ for quick collection to Keyboard Shortcut 9 and Note 8 on my x-touch mini.

Midi2LR crashes 1 second after pressing ‘b’, before attempting a repeating action. Every standard keyboard shortcut has this effect in 2.6+ for me.

Complete error log at https://pastebin.com/kKUUtQCU

Crashed Thread:        6  LR_IPC_IN

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000185
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Thread 6 Crashed:: LR_IPC_IN
0   com.rsjaffe.MIDI2LR           0x00000001001adc91 LR_IPC_IN::run() + 737
1   com.rsjaffe.MIDI2LR           0x00000001001e61b8 threadEntryProc + 472
2   libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fffcc6bb93b _pthread_body + 180
3   libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fffcc6bb887 _pthread_start + 286
4   libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fffcc6bb08d thread_start + 13

Rory Jaffe

Dec 8, 2017, 2:19:09 PM12/8/17
to Joshua Wagner, MIDI2LR
Ok. That helps. Will have revised version soon.

Ralf Bruechmann

Dec 8, 2017, 2:25:40 PM12/8/17
to Rory Jaffe, Joshua Wagner, MIDI2LR

2.6.0.0 in MacOS El Capitan does not show this error.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MIDI2LR" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/midi2lr.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 9, 2017, 5:29:51 PM12/9/17
to MIDI2LR
I've updated the Mac version to 2.6.0.2. It can be downloaded at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.0beta. I've made some changes to the Mac version to better handle concurrency--so even if this error wasn't repeatable, it did spur me to look at thread safety in the Mac-specific code. Even if 2.6.0.0 is working for you, please check out 2.6.0.2 and see how it works. Thanks.

And keep the feedback coming. I'm looking at how to improve usability. When you comment on speed/responsiveness, please include the brand and model of MIDI controller that you are using. Thanks.

Joshua Wagner

Dec 10, 2017, 5:56:48 PM12/10/17
to MIDI2LR
Hmm, I don’t think 2.6.0.2 changed anything for me. All dials and buttons mapped to standard keyboard shortcuts result in a crash while those connected to special keys (like Cursor Up) are fine. Some repeating actions work fine and others don’t. These appear to follow the same distinction because Prev-Next photo is fine and so Key38Key37 when mapped to CursorUp-CursorDown but repeating actions like L, I, -, and = all crash. Brush size also crashes. Same reason? Feather still does nothing.  😔 I see that Ralf isn’t getting crashes in 10.11 even though I am in 10.12.6. Can any other mac users chime in?

1. More detail
  • CC7 (x-touch mini) is mapped to repeating action Key40Key39 which are - and = for changing thumbnail size in grid view. The crash happens immediately when rotating the dial.  https://pastebin.com/SbWm5jtV
  • CC2 doesn’t crash, even though it is mapped to Key38Key37. I think this is because their targets Cursor Up - Cursor Down are not standard keyboard shortcuts.
  • CC3 does crash. It’s mapped to Key5 which is l for Lights Out mode. Same with CC4 which is Key 17, i for cycling Info panel. These crash when LR receives the command which may not be immediate depending on the CC message settings. If I have the Absolute value range set to 0-127 then I have to spin a bit before I hit something that registers, and then comes the crash. One command is coming through though because LR responds once as Midi2LR is crashing. If I set the Absolute Value range to 0-1 then it crashes on the first or second increment of the dial rotation. It seems that the first increment is initializing the dial which I notice is consistent with how it behaves with others that don’t crash such as exposure and contrast. If the dial is in a non-zero state then it crashes on the first increment.
2. Saving Adjust CC dialog box values
A minor thing, but I wonder if the values set in the Adjust CC dialog box could be saved when they’re changed rather than waiting for program exit because when Midi2LR crashes I’m losing them. If I set them, exit, and reopen then a crash doesn’t wipe them out so I’m doing that now. Not a biggie, more of an FYI.

3. Additional CC message type for repeat actions?
What is the best CC Message type to choose for repeating actions? With absolute values the output starts at 0 which means that spinning the dial left doesn’t have any effect. Could there be another CC Message type added? Maybe it could be called "continuous loop (keyboard shortcuts)” and would function so that counter-clockwise dial movement when reaching 0 goes to 127 and clockwise movement from 127 goes to 0? In this way no matter how far you spin you have an endless loop? Right now when I use Prev/Next photo as a repeating action it stops moving that direction after reaching value 127 (or 0 if I’m going left.) I don’t know how it’s coded but I can imagine one problem with my idea. The decreasing values used in repeating actions would see a hiccup when crossing min to max and vis-versa. I don’t know if there’s an easy workaround for that.

4. Bug: jump to loupe view (develop module)
Also, when using the Prev/Next photo repeating action (on CC1) when I roll it down to a value of 0 and then go back up to 1 then LR switched to a loupe view in the develop module. This switch from grid to loupe happens only when reversing directions on the dial after reaching 0 or 127 while the green highlight overlaying the channel readout is visible. If I pause long enough after reaching 0 or 127 for the green highlight to go away before reversing directions then the switch to loupe doesn’t happen. By the way, it’s great to be able to fly through grid view so fast! Combining this with a [cursor up]/[cursor down] knob is phenomenal!

5. Suggestions for other repeating action setups
  • More keyboard shortcuts like Key38Key37
  • Cursor Up - Cursor Down
  • Zoom Out Small Step - Zoom In Small Step
  • Thumbnail smaller - Thumbnail larger
  • Add to Selection Prev - Add to Selection Next
  • Decrease rating - Increase Rating
Thanks again for all the work. I can't write code but I hope to continue to be helpful with testing.
Josh

Rory Jaffe

Dec 12, 2017, 9:47:05 PM12/12/17
to MIDI2LR
Version 2.6.0.3 beta is ready. https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.0beta

Changes: 1. for all users, the fix for finding Local Presets Files that are in subdirectories is included.
2. For Mac users, major changes to keystroke handling. Part of this is to reduce risk of threads interfering with each other, and part is to start moving away from deprecated function calls. This version will also pop up an error dialog if the app has trouble finding Lightroom, which is one potential cause of problems. If the error dialog shows up, please post the contents of the dialog plus: MacOS version, Lightroom version, language used by system, language used by Lightroom, keys that you were trying to send.

If a mac user is not having problems with the new beta, I'd like to hear that too. It's hard to debug something in Macs, since I don't have a very good Mac nor a copy of Lightroom for MacOS.

Thanks

Joshua Wagner

Dec 13, 2017, 10:00:07 AM12/13/17
to MIDI2LR
Still the same, unfortunately. https://pastebin.com/5pKijudL
Also, local presets aren't working for me either. I had my presets stored with the catalog but unchecked that option, moving them back to the standard location but it didn't change anything. The limits options are missing on the "Other" dialog pane and the DropLists aren't clickable in the 'Local Adjustments' pane.
Is the process of debugging something that I can help with? I wish I knew where to start.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 13, 2017, 3:21:03 PM12/13/17
to MIDI2LR
Thanks. Your responses have been very useful. I'm traveling on business for a few days--when I get back I'm going to review how to best test out these issues.

Benjamin Bloom

Dec 13, 2017, 4:02:59 PM12/13/17
to MIDI2LR
New to MIDI2LR and loving it.

FWIW -- I was having a crash issue with 2.6.0.0 and 2.6.0.2 where a control mapped to a keyboard shortcut would immediately quit MIDI2LR.
2.6.0.3 appears to have resolved that issue.

MacOS Sierra, 10.12.6
Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 release
Behringer X-Touch mini controller

Thank you!

TPJacobs

Dec 16, 2017, 9:49:37 AM12/16/17
to MIDI2LR
Next/Previous works really nice on my midi twister. I love scrubbing through the images like this. I would prefer a little finetuning to make it just a little slower, but not much.

The main issue is that i wish it would go on endlessly. When the end or beginning of 0 or 127 reached you're done.
It would be nice to have a reset function so you can keep going after that.
I can see myself culling with this feature .It's amazing and fast.

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:10:18 AM UTC+1, Rory Jaffe wrote:

This beta release is available at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases as v2.6.0.0beta.

NOTE: Mac users should replace the MIDI2LR.app in the v2.6.0.0 download with the attached 2.6.0.1--to try to address a Mac crash issue.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 16, 2017, 10:36:13 AM12/16/17
to MIDI2LR
Try new version 2.6.0.4 if you are having crash issues like Joshua. Otherwise, please update to 2.6.0.5 for some minor fixes to the beta. Again--these are all beta releases and I thank you for your debugging help. https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.0beta

Joshua--limits will be hidden in the dialog box unless you are in the Develop module with a photo selected. This has to be done as Lightroom does not provide any limit information otherwise.

I'm not sure what's going on with your local adjustment presets. Can you find the directory in which your local adjustment presets are stored?

Joshua Wagner

Dec 16, 2017, 3:42:47 PM12/16/17
to MIDI2LR
2.6.0.4 has the same crash behavior.  https://pastebin.com/7kmVU0HS
I also tried switching to a different user account that is almost completely untouched. I downloaded Lightroom Classic CC (which is newer than what I've been using) and installed 2.6.0.4 and found the same crash behavior there too so I'm puzzled. This error report is from the alternate user account with LR Classic CC https://pastebin.com/4z4EXyXf

Limits do appear when I go to Midi2LR options from inside Develop so that's great, nothing is broken there.

Local adjustments are still not clickable. I tried that in the alternate user account too. Directory is the default on both user accounts: /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Rory Jaffe

Dec 16, 2017, 7:38:35 PM12/16/17
to MIDI2LR
OK, now I'm up to build 6. It's at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.0beta

Changes in this build.

In attempt to kill the crashes that are appearing on some Macs, I've revised the LR_IPC_IN buffer code to be more robust, with lots of error checking.

Also, the plugin will now automatically drop a file in the plugin directory called debug.txt. That file's contents list the important computer configuration values we need to debug things: language, version numbers, etc. Please post when discussing an issue.

Thanks

Carbon43

Dec 16, 2017, 9:21:19 PM12/16/17
to MIDI2LR
Getting a "not connected to Lightroom" red box in the Midi2LR interface, and an error window on launch (attached) This is after a full restart post install.

Also tried to stop and start the server from within LR, and got a different error window, also attached.
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 9.10.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 9.17.03 PM.png

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 17, 2017, 3:51:10 AM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
I hope that Rory notices your post soon because the file DebugInfo.lua is missing in the installation file,
and for this reason the plugin fails to start.

Carbon43

Dec 17, 2017, 5:36:59 AM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
All good. I rolled back to 2.6.0 and everything seems ok with that version for the time being.

Carbon43

Dec 17, 2017, 5:43:32 AM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
TP you can get around this by setting your CC assigned to scrubbing to "binary offset" by right clicking. Then, in your MFT software, switch the encoder assigned to that CC over to "ENC 3FH/41H". That should allow endless scrubbing on your MFT. I'll test it on one of mine when I have a chance.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 17, 2017, 12:39:23 PM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
Ouch! OK, I've now updated the package to include DebugInfo.lua. When I test the installer on my machine, since it had intermediate versions of the files, the missing file went unnoticed. Sorry.

The new installers have 2.6.0.6beta in their names. If you tried installing one without the beta in the name, please redownload. I apologize for the mixup.

Carbon43

Dec 17, 2017, 3:49:22 PM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
Ok, covering a couple things

1. New beta seems to work fine other than the areas currently being debugged.
2. Brush Feather, Brush Feather Smaller, and Brush Feather Larger local adjustments dont work, and throw an error (attached).
3. Brush Size, Brush Size Smaller, and Brush Size Larger local adjustments dont work, throw an error (attached), and cause Midi2LR to crash.

4. For those of you looking for debug.txt its in the actual plugin package, rather than the LR Modules folder. Took me a second to realize this.
5. TP Jacobs, I switched a knob to ENC 3FH/41H and the corresponding CC in the Midi2LR window to binary offset, and infinite scroll forwards and backwards works like a charm.

6. I agree that it would be nice if Next/Previous was less sensitive, but not sure of a way around this as M2LR has no way of knowing the input device and therefore binding to 1 photo forward or back for 2 CC inputs etc wouldnt work. I tried playing around with the resolution option in M2LR but it didnt seem to make a difference for this particular use case. Changing the knob from high resolution to responsive in the MFT interface may have helped a bit, but not as much as I think I'd like. However, setting the switch action type in the MFT interface to encoder fine adjust seems to have done the trick nicely. That being said, my preference would be for having the option to make "fine adjust" as the default, and the current responsive/high resolution as the modified switch action type.

This is something for DJTT though, not Rory. Also, my understanding is they had to let their original MFT designer/engineer go under some kind of circumstances, so not sure if we'll ever see another update there...

Finally, imo next and previous might just be better suited as buttons than bound to knobs. As much as I like the MFT, and endless rotary encoders, they arent necessarily the right thing for every job.

Carbon43

Dec 17, 2017, 3:50:28 PM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
Sorry, Im an idiot. Forgot to post the files.... attached.
debug.txt
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 2.41.17 PM.png

Rory Jaffe

Dec 17, 2017, 6:31:13 PM12/17/17
to MIDI2LR
Thanks. I've made the app throw an error (the dialog you saw) rather than quietly try to find an alternative way of sending the keystrokes, as I suspected that was the problem.

The program currently assumes the lightroom executable is in Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom. The following is the code. If any Mac person can help improve the code I'd appreciate it.

    pid_t
GetPID()

{
        std
::string LR{"Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Lightroom"};

int numberOfProcesses = proc_listpids(PROC_ALL_PIDS, 0, NULL, 0);
        pid_t pids
[numberOfProcesses];
        proc_listpids
(PROC_ALL_PIDS, 0, pids, sizeof(pids));

char pathBuffer[PROC_PIDPATHINFO_MAXSIZE];
        std
::size_t found;

for (int i = 0; i < numberOfProcesses; ++i) {

if (pids[i] == 0) {

continue;

}
            bzero
(pathBuffer, PROC_PIDPATHINFO_MAXSIZE);
            proc_pidpath
(pids[i], pathBuffer, sizeof(pathBuffer));

if (strlen(pathBuffer) > 0) {
                found
= std::string(pathBuffer).find(LR);

if (found != std::string::npos) {

return pids[i];

}

}

}

return 0;

}

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Dec 18, 2017, 5:02:12 AM12/18/17
to MIDI2LR

Some users may run into an error when using Options from the plugin menu, if this happens there are two ways to correct the problem:

1) exit Lightroom, delete the file "MenuItems.lua" from the plugin directory, restart Lightroom
or
2) exit Lightroom, install 2.5.0.3, start Lightroom, exit Lightroom, install 2.6.0.6beta, restart Lightroom

Explanation: The 2.6.0.6beta version has new functionality included to validate the "Series of commands" in the MIDI2LR options.
This requires a small update to "MenuItems.lua", this file is created if it does not exist or if the plugin version number has changed.
Unfortunately the latest release 2.6.0.6beta has the same version number as the previous 2.6.0.6 release (without beta).
For those users who installed 2.6.0.6 (with the missing DebugInfo.lua) and then installed 2.6.0.6beta the file "MenuItems.lua"
is not recreated and does not have the change needed for the validation function.

Joshua Wagner

Dec 19, 2017, 11:34:34 AM12/19/17
to MIDI2LR
Hi Carbon43, can you give me the actual path where you found your debug.txt file? I've looked around inside of several places, including inside the Midi2LR.app package and can't find it. I see the DebugInfo.lua file, but no debug file after a keystrokes crash in LR 2015.10.1

Joshua Wagner

Dec 19, 2017, 3:35:34 PM12/19/17
to MIDI2LR
2.6.0.7 still crashing on keystroke commands in LR 2015.10.2 and LR 7.1 (Classic) on Mac OS 10.12.6

Debut.txt doesn't appear on crash in LR 2015.10.2 but it does for LR 7.1:

Lightroom version 7.1
10.12.6.16G29 (x64)
Plugin version 2.6.0.7
App version 2.6.0.7
Lightroom language en
System language en-US
Plugin path /Users/jlbt10/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Modules/MIDI2LR.lrplugin
App path /Users/jlbt10/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Modules/MIDI2LR.lrplugin/MIDI2LR.app/Contents/MacOS/MIDI2LR
Preferences path /Users/jlbt10/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Lightroom
Application data path /Users/jlbt10/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Carbon43

Dec 20, 2017, 3:23:00 AM12/20/17
to MIDI2LR
Sorry for the delayed response Joshua, and glad it looks like you figured it out. That was the correct path, in the midi2lr package itself.

Ralf B.

Dec 20, 2017, 8:42:54 AM12/20/17
to MIDI2LR
Hi Joshua,

I found some strange things concerning the used keyboard shortcuts - may I ask in which country you live ?

I live in Germany but have an english MacOS 10.12.6 on my MacBookPro with an english Lightroom Classic CC running on it.

I don't know the logic of getting the keystrokes to be sent from MIDI2LR, but I figured out that the german ones are used -
e.g. for BrushSize ",/." is used (as stated in the /Ressources/de/TranslatedStrings_Lr_de_DE.txt). I don't know why ?
I have an english system locale and an english version of lightroom, but the german translation file is being used.

I did two things:
1. I changed the shortcuts for the BrushSize to the english ones " [ " and " ] "
2. I used Ukelele to create a custom keyboard layout where I put the "[" on the german "ö" and the "]" on the german "ä".

After restarting LR and switching to my new keyboard layout, the MIDI2LR keystrokes for the BrushSize are working well.

I wonder why the app crashes on your 10.12.6 while it runs fine on mine.

The only "difference" that I know is that I do compile the code myself and I use my old Mac mini with 10.11.6 and xCode 7.3 for that.
Perhaps try my compile of the 2.6.0.7 (see attached installer).

@Rory: do you compile the Mac build on a Linux or on a Mac ?
MIDI2LR-2.6.0.7-osx-installer.dmg

Joshua Wagner

Dec 21, 2017, 9:18:07 AM12/21/17
to MIDI2LR
Ralf, that's working for me!!!!!  Working: Keystroke commands (l, i, -, =, etc), Regular repeating commands (Undo/Redo, Cursor Up/Cursor Down), Keystroke repeating commands (CmdOpt-/CmdOpt+), Brush size, Increase/Decrease last setting,

Feather size doesn't work unless I assign it as a keystroke (Shift ], Shift[)

Rory, you asked for feedback on commands? I'd love to have several more slots like the Key40Key39 where I can put my own configurations, as well as the following configured:
- CursorUp/CursorDown,
- CursorDown/Cursor Up (for those who think backwards?)
- ZoomOutSmall/ZoomInSmall
- ZoomInSmall/ZoomOutSmall (again, the reverse)
- Grid view thumbnail size (- and =)
- Select left/Select right

Thanks for all the great work! So happy!
Josh

Rory Jaffe

Dec 22, 2017, 7:13:33 PM12/22/17
to MIDI2LR
Regarding compilation--I compile on a Mac, which uses a network drive for the source and executable. The network drive is on a Linux server.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 22, 2017, 7:14:53 PM12/22/17
to MIDI2LR
Could you try version 2.6.0.8? I've retooled the mac keystroke handling again. If that crashes, tell me and revert to 2.6.0.7--both are on the github site. I'm trying to "bullet-proof" Mac keystroke handling as I can't test it myself to make sure it's safe. https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.0beta

Ralf Bruechmann

Dec 23, 2017, 6:23:03 AM12/23/17
to Rory Jaffe, MIDI2LR

Hi Rory,
you can install Lightroom CC on two different computers - I have LR running on my Macbook pro and on my Windows PC.

Which xCode version are you running ?
On my Mac mini I run xCode 7.3.1

Joshua Wagner

Dec 23, 2017, 3:57:08 PM12/23/17
to MIDI2LR

Works for me!  No crashes.

I do get an error on ChangeFeatherSize. "Unsupported character was used: }. unordered_map::at key not found

Rory Jaffe

Dec 23, 2017, 4:06:37 PM12/23/17
to MIDI2LR
We're now up to build 9 which is at https://github.com/rsjaffe/MIDI2LR/releases/tag/v2.6.0.9beta.

I've done a lot to protect Mac users from keystroke errors--so now the worst that should happen is that you'll get a warning dialog when something goes wrong, rather than a crash. Also improved protection against data races (repeated actions stresses the app much more than previously).

And added a bunch of new repeated actions. See the github link above for details.

I'm not going to have time to do anything for the project for the next week. After that, we may be close to releasing this version.

Rory Jaffe

Dec 23, 2017, 5:10:22 PM12/23/17
to MIDI2LR

Joshua Wagner

Dec 23, 2017, 10:55:02 PM12/23/17
to MIDI2LR
I'm getting an error in the plugin loading process for 2.6.0.9 with Mac OS. Installation package runs through successfully but when Lightroom launches the plugin I get this error.

Here is the error report:

Rory Jaffe

Dec 24, 2017, 12:39:27 AM12/24/17
to MIDI2LR
I think I know what's causing that--got a hint from the pastebin dump. Unfortunately can't fix that for a week or so. I'll just pull the mac version until then.

Joshua Wagner

Dec 24, 2017, 1:03:33 AM12/24/17
to MIDI2LR
Alright, Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!