X Touch Compact Functionality

Andy M

Apr 4, 2018, 11:25:09 AM4/4/18
to MIDI2LR
Hi again

I've been using a BCF2000 for a while now but have the option to get a X Touch Compact at a good price
I just wanted to check the functionality of the 'extra' buttons etc.

In the pic below I've blocked out the encoders and sliders 1-8 as I'm assuming they work as per BCF2000

What I wanted to make sure of was that the three rows of buttons, 8 encoders on right, single row of buttons at bottom and master slider could all be assigned 'tasks'
I doubt I'll have a use for every button in the 3 rows, but the 8 extra encoders might come in handy

Do the encoders (all of them) also have a push-button built into them like the BCF2000?

Glauco Castro

Apr 4, 2018, 12:22:24 PM4/4/18
to MIDI2LR

Yes, you can assign tasks to all of them, except the layer buttons (for a good reason ;))

And yes, I think you'll end up using all of them. I did. Just like you, I've had BCF for a while and bought the Compact. What I missed was the group encoders, that you don't have on the Compact.

Oh, and be carefull when setting the CC commands on layer A and B. If you the the same number, you'll have strange behaviors.

Eric N

Apr 4, 2018, 4:43:46 PM4/4/18
to MIDI2LR
I am trying to do this exact setup. I think you use the profiles. You save the alternate functionality as a separate profile and then you assign the profile to the specific button that you want to use to activate the alternate functionality. One question: does anyone know if it’s possible to make it so that the button remains illuminated so long as the alternate profile is active? Thanks.

Glauco Castro

Apr 4, 2018, 5:01:06 PM4/4/18
to MIDI2LR
As far as I know, you cannot do this (button remaining iluminated).

Eric Nitz

Apr 5, 2018, 6:30:40 AM4/5/18
to Glauco Castro, MIDI2LR
After doing some more digging, it seems like this might be achievable by programming the button behavior in x-touch editor. I’m going to see if I can make it work and will update.

Eric N

Apr 7, 2018, 12:02:46 AM4/7/18
to MIDI2LR
Well, I give up.  I couldn't get this to work.  You can, indeed, use X-touch editor to reprogram buttons to stay lit up with a single press and then turn off with a second press.  The problem that I'm having is that Midi2LR doesn't appear to recognize the second button press.  For example, let's say I've programmed a button to add a red label.  Hit it once, red label added.  Hit a second time, red label off.  Ideally, the functionality would work like this--hit the button once, red label added, light goes on and stays on.  Hit the label a second time, light goes off, and red label goes away.  But here's what actually happens:
- First press--light goes on, red label added
- Second press--light goes off
- Third press--light goes on, red label removed
And so on.

So I'm giving up on this.

Em quarta-feira, 4 de abril de 2018 17:43:46 UTC-3, Eric N escreveu:
I am trying to do this exact setup. I think you use the profiles. You save the alternate functionality as a separate profile and then you assign the profile to the specific button that you want to use to activate the alternate functionality. One question: does anyone know if it’s possible to make it so that the button remains illuminated so long as the alternate profile is active?  Thanks.

Wolfgang G

Apr 8, 2018, 9:55:44 AM4/8/18
to MIDI2LR
I guess the problem is, that Midi2Lr reacts only to the button on event, which your X Touch sends only when it switches the light on?
Message has been deleted

Andy M

May 1, 2018, 7:12:58 AM5/1/18
to MIDI2LR
All up and running :-)
Can't say the buttons not staying lit is having any impact on my 'workflow', all the extra buttons and encoders are great though.

A few hours of tweaking now before I commit to labeling

Murat Kilci

Jul 6, 2018, 7:30:56 PM7/6/18
to MIDI2LR
Can someone please point me in the right direction on instructions on how to update the presets on the XTouch Compact. I did it several months ago and now I am having issues with one of the sliders and cant find the instructions.

Thanks in advance...

PS. I am on a Mac and using Bootcamp to use the X-Touch editor.

Doberman

Max

Max

Jul 7, 2018, 6:39:22 AM7/7/18
to MIDI2LR
I didn't label, I just made a print and stuck it on the wall behind the monitor. This way, when I change something, it's easier (just switch the print on the wall), though with use, you won't need any label.

Santiago Umaña

Jul 9, 2018, 11:51:36 AM7/9/18
to MIDI2LR
I don't know if this will help anyyone understand a little bit on how the "stay on light function" works in Behringer equipment but I'll explain what I found and how I use it:

In the x-touch editor you can change the behaviior of the buttons frome "single" to "toggle", the "single" function what it does is that it tells the button to send a CC comand (which ever is programmed in said button) with a value of 127 (every CC number has values that go from 0 to 127, knobs and sliders when moved change the value from 0 to 127 and back) a button can only send a CC with one value between 0 or 127, so in the single mode the button will send a value of 127 and thats it, the value of the CC returns to 0 when the button is released (light turns on while you press the button but goes of as soon as you release), this works perfect for commands such as "Undo", when yo program MIDI2Lr you assign a behavior to that button so when that button is pressed it sends the corresponding CC at a value of 127 and midi2lr does what ever you have programmed, as soon as you release the button the CC goes to 0 and nothing happens because nothing is programmed in that CC at that value.

The other behavior possible is the "toggle" function, when you program (in x-touch editor) a button to have a toggle function what this does is that when you press a button the first time (one with "toggle" settings active) the button sends the CC at value 127 and it stays in that value and when you press the button a secon time it sends a CC with value 0 and it stays like that, so as you can see this "toggle" mode works as a light switch press it once "it's on" press it twice "it's off", the light in the button behaves that way, but here is the problem with midi2lr, when yo program a button (not knobs and sliders, just buttons) it will only work for the CC at value 127 it won't work for that CC at value 0, so if your button is programmed as "toggle" it will only work on the first press, since it will send a 127 value for that CC, but if you press it again it will send a vlaue of 0 for that CC and midi2lr is not programmed to recognize this one, so it will only work every other time (odd numbers).

When you understand this you can program your Behringer console as you see fit, in my case I use a Behringer X-Touch mini, and what I did was programm buttons 1 - 8 on the B layer to bheave in "Toggle" mode and I use this for every profile I have (I have 8 profiles: Basic, Tone Curve, Color, HUE, SAT, LUM, BW MIX, Crop Transform) so when I'm working I press any of this buttons and it activates its corresponding profile and light stays on, when I switch profiles I just press the active button (to turn the light off) and press the button of the other profile I'm going to work with. The other buttons (9-16 in layer B and 1-16 in layer A) I have programmed to "single" mode this way I can use this buttons for specific commands such as undo, redo, left, right, activate graduated filter and so on.

You also have to consider that knobs (in behringer consoles) work as buttons too, and this buttons have the same option (toggle or single). When I got my X-touch mini I didn't realized that the buttons on the knobs were programmed to "toggle" and I use this buttons to reset whatever parameter I have programmed in the knob, for example in my basic profile the 1st knob is programmed to Exposition, and the knob button es programmed to reset exposition, but when I got the x-touch since buttons were programmed to "toggle" I had to press the knob twice to get it to work, so I went back in to the x-touch editor and changed the "toggle" to "single" now I only have to press knob buttons once to get them to reset.

Hope this can help anyone.

Max

Jul 9, 2018, 12:45:22 PM7/9/18
to MIDI2LR
Hi Santiago, same here. I use the buttons in toggle function for the profiles, and changed the behaviour of the knobs to single.
Now that I think of it, I think I might have forgotten to mention it in the profile files I uploaded in a post in this group.

JJ1812y84

Jul 6, 2020, 8:27:41 AM7/6/20
to MIDI2LR
@Andy M. Did you manage to solve this issue with the button LED's not staying lit when you press them? Im having this same issue and trying to figure it out. Strangely, when I hit the corresponding assigned software buttons in my Logic Pro X plugin, the button LED's on the X-Touch Mini turn on/off perfectly. But not when I hit the controller buttons (they just flash on and off momentarily but dont stay lit).

Andy M

Jul 6, 2020, 10:20:08 AM7/6/20
to MIDI2LR
@JJ1812y84 - no, I didn't although, having used the XTouch for some time now, the lack of lights has had no effect on my usage - if anything it's better having them not lit-up as it's not a distraction

I have the console about 45 degrees off to my left and rarely look at it as I mainly use the sliders and the cluster of buttons immediately to the right of the sliders and that's all done from memory as opposed to looking at the console

JJ1812y84

Jul 6, 2020, 12:42:09 PM7/6/20
to MIDI2LR
Thanks for your reply. I require the LED's to function so I know which buttons/assigned software parameters are switched on/off