CLOSED: Testing finished Testers wanted for brief test of new Lightroom <-> app communication method

Rory Jaffe

Jun 22, 2019, 12:31:06 PM6/22/19
to mid...@googlegroups.com
I've had to completely rewrite the app's code related to sending/receiving messages from Lightroom. The old code was very old and was blocking updates of the Juce framework (which is used for the user interface). The new code uses the new C++20 networking standard. I've tested it extensively on my machine, but need some people to test it who are either using an old version of Lightroom or are using MacOS. This testing should only take a couple of minutes and would greatly help me avoid any surprises when rolling out the next version.

This version should work exactly the same as 3.2.3.0, and is labeled 3.2.4.0.

If you want to help, download the appropriate installer from these links (it's not on github) and install:
  • TESTING FINISHED, NO MORE DOWNLOADS NEEDED
Many of you have MIDI controllers that respond to Lightroom setting changes by either moving a motorized fader or moving the position of a light on the panel. If you don't have any indication of changes made in Lightroom skip steps 3 and 9 below.

Do the following:
  1. Start Lightroom
  2. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond?
  3. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond?
  4. Stop MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Stop Server. Does the app close?
  5. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open?
  6. Stop MIDI2LR app by clicking on the X on the app's window. Does the app close?
  7. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open?
  8. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond?
  9. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond?
  10. Close Lightroom. Does the app close?
After testing, please respond to this message with the following information:
  1. Operating system (MacOS or Windows)
  2. Lightroom version number
  3. Success or failure (if failure, which step failed)
Thanks again for all of your help!

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Jun 22, 2019, 2:09:10 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
  1. Operating system Windows
  2. Lightroom version number 6.14
  3. Success or failure (if failure, which step failed) Failure on step

Untitled.jpg

Rory Jaffe

Jun 22, 2019, 2:16:27 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
What was the channel and control number of the control that crashed it?

Rory Jaffe

Jun 22, 2019, 2:19:49 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
Oh, I now see what's caused that. It's unrelated to the changes--it's due to a value in a photo being outside the limits you've previously set. I'll fix that issue.

Rory Jaffe

Jun 22, 2019, 2:24:39 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
Could you try replacing the MIDI2LR.exe file with the one at this link? https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pyhf0rnf980bat/MIDI2LR.zip?dl=0

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Jun 22, 2019, 2:25:42 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
After the initial message box I was able to continue

  1. Operating system (MacOS or Windows)
  2. Lightroom version number
  3. Success or failure (if failure, which step failed)
  1. Start Lightroom - see previous post
  2. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond? Yes
  3. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? No
  4. Stop MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Stop Server. Does the app close? No
  5. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open? Yes
  6. Stop MIDI2LR app by clicking on the X on the app's window. Does the app close? Yes
  7. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open?  Yes
  8. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond? Yes
  9. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? No
  10. Close Lightroom. Does the app close? Yes

Message has been deleted

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Jun 22, 2019, 2:29:24 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
Done, now testing

Ernst Bokkelkamp

Jun 22, 2019, 2:37:53 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
  1. Start Lightroom - Yes
  2. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond? Yes
  3. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? Yes
  4. Stop MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Stop Server. Does the app close? Yes
  5. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open? Yes - fyi wrong profile was loaded, the first in alphabetical order instead of "develop".
  6. Stop MIDI2LR app by clicking on the X on the app's window. Does the app close? Yes
  7. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open? Yes
  8. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond? Yes - after loading develop profile
  9. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? Yes
  10. Close Lightroom. Does the app close? Yes

Walt Zubak

Jun 22, 2019, 4:08:48 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR

Do the following:

  1. Start Lightroom
  2. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond?  No
  3. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? No
  4. Stop MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Stop Server. Does the app close? Yes
  5. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open? Yes
  6. Stop MIDI2LR app by clicking on the X on the app's window. Does the app close? Yes
  7. Start MIDI2LR app by selecting, in Lightroom, File -> Plug-in Extras -> MIDI2LR -> Start Server. Does the app open? Yes
  8. Move a control on your MIDI control surface. Does Lightroom respond? No
  9. Move a control in Lightroom that is mapped to your MIDI control surface. Does your controller respond? NO
  10. Close Lightroom. Does the app close? Yes

After testing, please respond to this message with the following information:

  1. Operating system (MacOS or Windows)  Windows 10
  2. Lightroom version number  8.3.1
  1. Success or failure (if failure, which step failed)