Settings file

Alex Furer

Jun 21, 2019, 9:35:41 AM6/21/19
to MIDI2LR
I wonder why there's a "settings.xml" file in the default installation folder and when UI save the settings from the plugin dialog it saves a .txt file.

The settings.xml seems to contain all the settings and is much better human readable compared to the .txt file.

How can I switch using an xml?

This is a fresh install on a freshly installed Windows 10 because it's a new PC. No previous installation before 3.2.2.0.

Rory Jaffe

Jun 22, 2019, 12:02:35 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
It's always using the xml file. Saving settings to text is just there for you to save your settings to move them to a new computer. MIDI2LR normally doesn't use the file.

Alex Furer

Jun 22, 2019, 6:21:57 PM6/22/19
to MIDI2LR
Thanks Rory. So when I open settings from someone else or mine, they get saved in the Midi2LR folder inside the AppData folder when I quit? And not back to the text file, unless I export the settings back to that specific file?

Wouldn't it make sens to switch to xml for export as well? Just because it's much more readable.

Rory Jaffe

Jun 26, 2019, 11:00:14 PM6/26/19
to MIDI2LR
Correct.

Rory Jaffe

Jun 26, 2019, 11:03:04 PM6/26/19
to MIDI2LR
Actually, I was wrong when I said "Correct".

The PLUGIN saves its settings to the Adobe Lightroom settings file, and you can't normally see them.

The reason for the current format is that I have an XML library for the APPLICATION, but not the PLUGIN. So it's pretty hard for me to save and read XML for the plugin.

I'd forgotten all about this because this is something I dealt with a while ago.