Any updates for LR 7.3

Henrique Ribas

Apr 9, 2018, 10:56:03 AM4/9/18
to MIDI2LR
Hi guys, any news about LR 7.3 update of MIDI2LR?

Rory Jaffe

Apr 11, 2018, 11:24:51 PM4/11/18
to MIDI2LR
I'll need help to fix most of the issues, as I don't use those features affected, and most of those features rely on undocumented behavior in Lightroom--the API doesn't cover them.

Lightroom also introduced a new bug, as the dehaze slider still opens up the Effects panel with the LIghtroom API.

And they haven't updated the Lightroom API in 3 years.

Henrique Ribas

Apr 12, 2018, 10:12:00 AM4/12/18
to Rory Jaffe, MIDI2LR
Hi Roy
I can help you. Tell me.how

Terry Hewitt

Apr 12, 2018, 2:24:12 PM4/12/18
to MIDI2LR
Rory

I can help.
What do you want me to do?

Best wishes
Terry

Rory Jaffe

Apr 14, 2018, 10:04:06 PM4/14/18
to MIDI2LR
Thenks, Henrique and Terry. This is going to be some work, as Adobe hasn't documented the changes. Also, there appear to be new bugs causing some of the issues. For example, see https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-classic-7-3-resets-settings-when-develop-preset-is-applied-via-script  , which uses presets much like MIDI2LR does.

As far as I know, the two biggest issues to review are:
  1. Develop presets. Do they still work properly with 7.3? Have the files changed location or format? Presets.lua has the read presets routine around lines 31-37 -- do those still work? Are all the develop presets available in the dialog? Does the function fApplyPreset (ClientUtilities.lua lines 173-191) work properly? If these don't work, what needs to be changed, or is it a problem with a Lightroom bug (as mentioned in the link near the top of this message)?
  2. Local presets. Do they still work properly with 7.3? Have the files changed location or format? LocalPresets.lua has all the code for this. Unlike with develop presets, this code is highliy dependent upon the file format. If the format has changed, then ApplyLocalPreset() has to be rewritten and will need some custom coding.
I think most of the rest of the problems with 7.3 are due to bugs being introduced into either Lightroom or the Lightroom API. I have little hope these will be fixed, since I've been pointing out serious bugs for over 2 years now, but who knows. The thread describing the new bug that I posted is at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/7-3-bug-dehaze-adjustment-opens-up-effects-panel-when-lrdevelopcontroller-revealadjustedcontrols-is-true

John Cothron

Apr 15, 2018, 5:34:04 PM4/15/18
to MIDI2LR
Regarding local presets, they appear to be functioning normally on all fronts, using midi2lr or otherwise. I store my presets with the catalog, so I cannot say whether the default file location for them has changed or not.
Message has been deleted

Rory Jaffe

Apr 21, 2018, 1:59:26 PM4/21/18
to MIDI2LR
Turns out that the new issues with 7.3 are caused by Lightroom bugs, so nothing to rewrite in MIDI2LR. Thanks for your offers.

Lightroom 7.3 bug. Applying develop presets via MIDI2LR will reset all settings that aren't specified in the preset. Either revert to LR 7.2 or wait for Adobe to issue a fix if you want to use develop presets in MIDI2LR.

Terry Hewitt

Apr 25, 2018, 2:49:00 PM4/25/18
to Rory Jaffe, MIDI2LR

Rory,

So its taken so long, had a lecture to prepare and now that’s over I can do something.

First the bad news. MIDI2LR.exe exits within in few seconds of starting. The last version that worked is 2.6.0.14

SO I’ve downloaded the source of  2.8.1.0 and compiled it with DEBUG.

That version worked, so I compiled it without debug and that version worked.

When I’ve come back a hour later that new version of midi2lr.exe fails.

So I’ll do a bit more debugging.

In the meantime

The folder Develop Presets

  1. All the .lrtemplate files are renamed to ~~orignal name.lrtemplate
  2. In a folder Settings (at the same level as develop presents) new files and folders appear with the same structure as Develop Presets but converted to original name.xmp
  3. I’m assuming LR will now read those.

I renamed Develop Presets  to “something else” started LR

And a) presets are all still available – from Settings, and b) It creates Develop Presets with a folder User Presets in it. Both empty

I created a new preset and it gets stored in Settings\User Presets.

So I think its safe to assume that LR now reads presets from “Settings” not “Develop Settings”

To get any further I need to debug MIDI2LR.exe. That’s my next step.

Best wishes

Terry

Professor W T Hewitt

WTH Associates Ltd

Telephone: +44 7905 759 003

Company registration number:7336226

HMRC VAT Registration number: 998 8457 23

Company Registered Address

St George's House  | 215 - 219 Chester Road | Manchester | M15 4JE