Unable to use Behringer BCF2000 on new computer

Rory Jaffe

Nov 1, 2019, 3:53:46 PM11/1/19
to MIDI2LR
I just built a new Windows computer, as my old (very old) computer's motherboard died. Installed everything without trouble except for my MIDI controller (BCF2000). I found the drivers on the Behringer web site (http://downloads.music-group.com/software/behringer/_software/BEHRINGER_MIDI_X64_1.0.10.zip) and ran them, following the instructions there, and the drivers installed correctly.

But, the controller isn't usable. No connection to MIDI2LR The routine MIDI2LR uses for MIDI connections silently fails when there is an issue—this is the way the juce framework works, and not changeable by me.

Running Mountain Utilities BC-Manager, I can see the BCF2000, but when I try to connect to it I get errors like the following:
Error: Cannot open MIDI input device 2- BCF2000 port 1
There is not enough memory available for this task.  Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again.

Midi-Ox shows the same errors.

I've tried connecting the BCF2000 directly to the computer via a native USB2 port, that didn't help. I looked in task manager and didn't see any software or other processes that could be accessing the MIDI device.

Any ideas?

I'm unable to use the MIDI controller currently for Lightroom, and also unable to use it to develop MIDI2LR, so I'm stuck.

kfrazack

Apr 14, 2020, 10:12:19 PM4/14/20
to MIDI2LR
I too have run into this exact problem. I ran MIDI2LR successfully for awhile on a Win 7 machine and when I built a new Win 10 machine, this is as far as I got. I found some suggestions about removing hidden USB devices in the device manager. But no good. Did you ever resolve this?

Rory Jaffe

Apr 15, 2020, 3:09:08 PM4/15/20
to MIDI2LR
Me too. I ended up getting a midi->usb adapter, which works with the BCF2000 in MIDI mode, but the adapter has trouble with NRPN messages, so I gave up using NRPN.

Matti Savoila bubla.fi

Apr 16, 2020, 3:55:10 AM4/16/20
to MIDI2LR
Gosh darn. I built a computer a couple weeks ago and also have the BCF2000. It does not connect to MIDI2LR. Sadly I am unable to help with the underlying problems, hopefully you guys who understand code better than me can figure something out!

Matti Savoila bubla.fi

Oct 3, 2020, 4:33:33 PM10/3/20
to MIDI2LR
Could you share which midi to usb- adapter you use? I got the Roland UM-ONE and so far I have not had luck in getting it to send MIDI commands to MIDI2LR. Maybe another one could fix my problems.

And a huge thanks for making this app! I have used it since the beginning and I just love my Behringer+LR-combo. It would not be possible without people like you!

Rory Jaffe

Oct 3, 2020, 6:34:05 PM10/3/20
to MIDI2LR
https://amzn.to/2SqOQpO  HiFing 5-PIN DIN plug USB MIDI Interface Cable Adapter . Note that it doesn't work well with NRPN messages, so I just use regular MIDI messages.

Make sure the BCF2000 is in S-1 mode: Keep the EDIT key pressed, and press the STORE key at the same time. You are now in the global setuip menu and you can let go of both keys. Now select an operating mode by turning the PUSH encoder 1. You can select USB modes U-1 to U-4 and stand-alone modes S-1 to S-4.

Matti Savoila bubla.fi

Oct 7, 2020, 5:40:42 AM10/7/20
to MIDI2LR
Thanks! I got it to work. It took some digging to find a way to get to the global setup menu, the edit+store- method doesn't work on my behringer but by pressing one of the uppermost left buttons while turning it on you can access the global setup- menu. One of my slider does constantly move a bit suddenly but so far it has not annoyed me too much, I'll see after 15000 photos :D. I am extremely grateful for MIDI2LR, it does make editing so much nicer.

Best regards,
Matti

Sandy McClure

Sep 10, 2021, 12:26:35 PM9/10/21
to MIDI2LR
I have this exact issue so I'm delighted to have found something to help!

I can't get into the global setup menu though, I've tried the hold edit and store method which seems to be straight from the manual and nothing happens. I tried turning it on while holding the top left button and that does flash bC on the readout but that's it, I can't change anything from there with the knobs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like must be missing something but I just can't get to a menu that gives me U1  /  S1 etc

Sandy McClure

Sep 11, 2021, 11:23:13 AM9/11/21
to MIDI2LR
I have managed to access the global menu by holding the 5th button from the left on the top row as I turned it on. It displays bhu1 then EG which is the global menu.

I still have the issue though. MIDI2LR isn't picking up any inputs and MIDIOX isn't showing any either. I'm using a midi to usb cable, I've installed the Behringer drivers, I've tried it in S1 and S4 mode but still nothing.

Can anyone please help?

Sandy McClure

Sep 11, 2021, 11:42:32 AM9/11/21
to MIDI2LR
I resolved the problem but I feel like an idiot. It turns out I had the plugs the wrong way around in the midi ports. I had assumed that the OUT port was for the OUT plug, it is not. IN goes to OUT A, OUT goes to IN.

Jan Gessler

Oct 11, 2021, 11:57:13 PM10/11/21
to MIDI2LR
Had the same problem. It looks like newer boards don't support the USB from the BCF2000. I connected it to the usb Type C on my graphic card and it works just fine.. If you have this option try if it works for you. A PCI USB card also did not work for me.