Feature request/thoughts: Toggle Buttons

Daniel Kostrzewa

Jan 5, 2018, 5:21:58 AM1/5/18
to MIDI2LR
Hey everyone,

I was asking myself if there could be a possibility to implement toggle functionality to Midi2Lr, and here are my thoughts (based on using the Behringer X Touch Compact):

As far as I know, Midi2Lr is able to send MIDI Receive signals to the controller (e.g. FullRefresh or the fader positions etc.) and toggle buttons don't change their note number, no matter if toggle is on or off, so it always sends the same signal, only that every second time the internal XTouch logic switches the LED on/off.

So wouldn't it be possible to implement something like custom MIDI Receive signals that users can assign to actions performed in Midi2Lr?

Example: I would switch a certain button to toggle mode via the driver and assign it to switching to another profile. So when I press that button, the LED stays on and so far, everything would work even with the current version of Midi2Lr. In the other profile (the one I switched to), I assign the same button to switching back to my standard profile and as long as you only use that button to change profiles, everything should work (LED on when other profile is active, LED off when standard profile is active). The problems start when you go to another photo or switch profiles/modules manually via mouse or keyboard, because the LED stays on even though the profile changed. With custom MIDI Receive signals enabled, I would send a "LED off" signal for that button everytime the standard (or another) profile is enabled.

It would be nice to be able to assign series of custom MIDI Receive signals to buttons, series of commands, and profiles themselves (so I can tell Midi2Lr to perform a series of MIDI Receive commands every time I enable a certain profile, for example to make sure every LED is in the state it should be).

I think the number of available series of commands should be increased if this feature is implemented.

I imagine it would be too much work to implement all the signals for all the different buttons on the various MIDI devices, so this would be a workaround, leaving it up to the users to enable that function or not. To avoid complications (or even damage, don't know if these signals could do any harm to the controller when used improperly), the functionality could be "hidden" in some kind of "advanced settings" tab or so.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Daniel

Daniel Kostrzewa

Jan 5, 2018, 6:11:22 AM1/5/18
to MIDI2LR
As an addition: at a later stage, maybe it could even be possible to map custom MIDI commands to different options in Lightroom itself, meaning Midi2Lr checks if for example profile corrections are enabled for a photo and if so, it performs the corresponding command assigned by the user.