Arturia Beatstep basic Setup

Thom Dyson

Mar 26, 2017, 11:32:42 AM3/26/17
to MIDI2LR
I've been watching this project for a while and finally decided to jump in.

I have a Beatstep, which doesn't seem to be as commonly used as some of the Behringers. If I use this as much as I think I will, I may spring for one of the 2000s, but I don't want to give up the desk space yet.

I'm sharing my general setup notes because I could not find enough detail in the Compatible MIDI Controllers file. This also helps me clarify my findings for me.
Since MIDI is new to me, I've probably got some of this wrong :), so feel free to correct me.

General Notes:
  • You need the MIDI Control Center software from Arturia to configure the controller.
  • Unlike the Behringers and Midi Fighter, the encoders do not have a ring of LEDs to indicate the current value.  I do know if I'll care about this.
  • Unlike some other controllers, the encoders do not have a button function.  So, this means you cannot do "tap to reset".
  • The Beatstep supports 16 configurations, called Memory "X" positions. These are not MIDI Channels, but an additional layer of config.  I don't know how many memory sets up I'll use. There is no visual indicator for the loaded memory set, so it could get very confusing very quickly. You can press the "recall" button to see what is loaded. So, that's 32 controls, with 16 channels and 16 memory configurations. There is some crazy exponent in there somewhere, but I'm too pretty for math, so let's just say you could get lost in the setup.
For encoders, I've found a couple of settings that work:
  1. Control Mode, Absolute. This sends 0-127.  As noted in the Compatibility Sheet, changing photos does not load the new selection's values into the controller. You need to turn the encoder until it matches the image's value for that setting. Then it works correctly. This is the same process you would have with an unmotorized slider. Annoying.
  2. NPRN/RNP, RPN Mode. This works just like Control Mode.  See above.
  3. Control Mode Relative #2. This sends a 0 or a 127, depending on which direction you turn.  With MIDI2LR set to Twos Compliment mode, this works. This is probably the best setting.  As far as I can tell, this doesn't work right now.
For buttons (pads), here is what I've found to work:
  1. Switched Control, Gate mode. This functions as a momentary switch, sending 127 when on and 0 when off. This works button actions in MIDI2LR.
  2. Switched Control, Toggle. As above, but the button stays on (127) until you press it again.  I haven't found a use for this yet, but if it mapped to the "alt" button, I could use if for things like Sharpening Mask Preview.
For encoders and buttons:
  1. In MIDI Control Center, if a control is set to the Global Channel, pressing the button or turning the encoder sends the Active Channel along with the command.
  2. In MIDI Control Center, if a control is assigned to a Channel Number, pressing the button or turning the encoder sends that Channel number along with the command. This could be used to lock a control to a function, regardless of which Channel is Active, without having to define that control for each Channel in MIDI2LR.

Now I just have to figure out which LR settings I use enough to assign them to the controller.

Cheers

Al

Mar 17, 2019, 6:20:40 PM3/17/19
to MIDI2LR
Thom you are probably long gone but can the Beatstep encoders be setup to have instant pickup with Midi2LR, you don't have to turn the encoder to the sliders existing value to pick it up?
Nor will the encoder force the slider to the encoders current CC value on the first touch.