Kelly Boe Bike Ride Update/ Bike to Work Day

Laura Asermily

May 19, 2022, 10:10:33 PM5/19/22
to middbikeped
Thanks to the 20 something cyclists, our police escorts and local media and bike shop for supporting and promoting the Kelly Boe Memorial Bike Ride on Tues May 17, 2022. Pictured are Kathy Boe in front next to Peter Burrows who led us again. We prevailed in light steady rain brightly clothed proving that yellow is such a good color to see from distance. In fact, the best one.

Kelly Boe Bike Ride is a slow-paced bike ride in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roads, including Kelly Boe in 2015. It raises awareness that we all share the road and responsibility for keeping it safe. This was one of many rides occurring in mid-May commemorating the Annual National Ride of Silence.Those who wished could ride in silence in memory of those killed. We departed  Middlebury Union High School by 4 pm for a short loop (about 8 miles) through downtown, out Weybridge Rd to Hamilton Rd and back to town and MUHS by 5 pm.

Didn't make the ride? Consider doing the loop on your own before the end of this week's PARK YOUR CARbon Challenge or commute to work or an errand for Bike to Work Day. It's this Friday May 20 but you could try for another day before May--Bike Month--ends.

Donations to the Kelly Boe Scholarship can still be made by check payable to the "Kelly Boe Memorial Scholarship Fund" and mailed to Kathy Boe, 64 Court St Middlebury 05753. This goes toward awarding two scholarships (~$2,000 each in past few years) to two students who identify as female and are a model to others as committed athletes with positive attitudes leading healthy lives.

Hosted by Safe Routes Middlebury with support from ACSD/MUHS, Walk-Bike Council of Addison County, Middlebury Police, Addison County Sheriff, Frog Hollow Bikes staff and especially Kathy Boe.

Safe Routes Middlebury hosts "Walk and Roll to School Day" first Wednesday of month, monitors traffic patterns and student travel behavior, plans activities to teach bike skills and rules of the road, and recommends improvements to roads, parking lots, drop offs, sidewalks, crosswalks, traffic lights, signage, bus routes, bike routes, bike racks, and more. Contact Erik Remsen (erik....@gmail.com) if you wish to report concerns or want to help with efforts.

Walk-Bike Council of Addison County is a county-wide, citizen-led advisory group that meets every 6-8 weeks in Middlebury. The Council seeks to build momentum and capacity for safer walking and biking to our towns and villages. Council members work with state and regional agencies, municipal staff, schools and other interested community partners.  Anyone interested should visit www.walkbikeaddison.org
282057369_10158719559169599_5991078999604654233_n.jpg