Fixing U.S. Road Safety Education

1 view

erik....@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2021, 10:51:08 AM3/7/21
to Midd Bike-Ped discussion forum
I really appreciate the message in this piece. The history and the visuals included make it that much more compelling.

Erik Remsen

Richard Hopkins

Mar 7, 2021, 11:39:30 AM3/7/21
to 'David Andrews' via Midd Bike-Ped discussion forum
Thanks for posting this important link.

This victim-blaming approach to ’safety’ has been common across lots of domains — like blaming workers for workplace injuries rather than employers for putting workers in unsafe environments.

For the last 30 years or so, injury-prevention professionals have been changing the discourse about events that lead to injuries from ‘accidents’ to ‘car crashes’, consistent with the mantra that ‘injuries are not accidents’.

On a different note, this movie from San Francisco in 1906 may provide some insight into the conditions that led to the inception of the campaign against jay-walking:  https://www.loc.gov/item/00694408/ .  On the third hand, drivers would likely be more cautious in an environment where lots of people are crossing the street on foot everywhere.  Some European cities and towns have acted on this thought to help slow traffic https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/aug/17/traffic-videos-chaos-removing-signals-shared-spacehttps://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/streets/residential-shared-street/.

Richard Hopkins

--
The "Walk-Bike Council of Addison County" is our county-wide bike-ped organization.
Join us for an event, meeting, or just follow along at: