Local Motion webinar

erik....@gmail.com

May 6, 2021, 2:07:44 PMMay 6
to Midd Bike-Ped discussion forum
Hi all,

Local Motion is hosting a webinar next week about the overlap of recreation and transportation paths. I've posted a fuller description from their website below. You can also click through this link to read it and register. I figured a few people who read these posts might be interested.

Erik

Webinar description:
Where does transportation end and recreation begin? This webinar will explore the overlap of transportation and recreation planning, highlighting examples of projects completed here in Vermont.

In many rural and resort communities, recreation IS the destination, and recreation facilities dually serve as transportation networks. Similarly, in many places in Vermont, you simply cannot build a “transportation-only” multi-use path—it will be scenic and fun no matter where you put it.

Active transportation has played an increasingly important role in communities throughout Vermont. In conjunction, there is a growing desire for recreation opportunities right out your door that don’t require driving to the trailhead. Planning for a connected regional network that encompasses both the active transportation system and more recreation-oriented trails is critical to achieving these goals, but all too often we completely bifurcate the planning processes for transportation and recreation.

We'll look at three examples of Vermont projects from Northfield, East Burke, and the Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail that served to better connect communities to and integrate with recreation and transportation.