Rogers Road Traffic Calming & Sidewalk Need

Laura Asermily

Jul 12, 2021, 4:26:24 PM7/12/21
to middbikeped
Rogers Road residents are appealing for traffic calming help from the Town of Middlebury which conducted a traffic study showing what we have seen on other roads--that it is hard to capture speeding even after a week of counts at peek drive times which showed compliance with posted speed limit. It doesn't take much speed to alarm a pedestrian by a car that comes too close when no sidewalks are at hand. Knowing that incidents can be episodic but tragic, Rogers Rd residents have put out "Slow Down for Safer Town" lawn signs borrowed from Safe Routes Middlebury. See pics from Daniel Houghton who has attended recent Town meetings on behalf of Rogers Rd residents as David Pistilli has been doing for South St ones. If you want a turn with these on your corridor, contact Erik Remsen (erik....@gmail.com).

Safe Routes Middlebury reminds us that walkers hit by cars at 40 mph have 15% survival rate while those hit at 20 mph have 85% chance of survival.

Chief Hanley supports having Infrastructure take up traffic calming measures for residential roads where speeding has been reported as an  issue (South St, High St, Halladay, Rogers, Weybridge, others). He noted that a stop sign was added to Buttolph Dr to calm traffic. This proved to be a good strategy although you have to satisfy special criteria to get one and it doesn't fit as well for Rogers Rd. A speed radar device was posted on Main St in East Midd and more are planned for rotation on other streets, particularly for South St. for which a pop-up traffic calming demo is planned for late summer/early fall.  At the Public Health and Safety Committee Meeting last month, Chief Hanley shared a resource manual he has of traffic calming approaches, including a "road diet" like Lincoln did on one of their residential streets to calm traffic as a way to provide wide shoulders when sidewalks are unfeasible. I'd like to see us try this on a few of our residential roads. Take a look at the link!  Laura

Image

Image

Image

Image

Jul 13, 2021, 5:14:53 PM7/13/21
to middbikeped
Laura, excellent points.

Attached next under is a one page pdf of the “road diet” traffic calming measures proposed for South Street by a Dubois & King study in 2015.  While the study envisions a permanent ultimate solution, these two measures could be easily implemented for analysis with paint.  I think even that could become permanent, as the visual narrowing should slow drivers down naturally.  This, for me, is a low cost no-brainer.

David

traffic_calming_study_south_street_dec2015_options_c_d.pdf