Walk & Roll to School, Wed April 6

Laura Asermily

Apr 5, 2022, 4:18:39 PMApr 5
to middbikeped
Middlebury's Mary Hogan School students will get recognized when they walk or roll to school (bike or bus) this Wed. We urge families to form Walking School Bus Routes or Bike Trains from their neighborhoods or drop off children at remote points (e.g. Shaws lot, sports center, Kinney's) to walk in from there. Avoid drop off by car right at school entrance.

TEACH RULES OF ROAD
Pedestrians should use sidewalks, cross at crosswalks, wait for signals, use crosswalk safety flags & rapid flashing LED beacon lights to signal intent to cross (at Cross/ S Pleasant St by high school, Court/N Pleasant St by Middlebury Inn and Pulp Mill Bridge). These lights improve your visibility significantly. Always look first & make eye contact with motorists before crossing. Cyclists ride with traffic bearing as far right as practicable, claim lane to navigate rotaries or turn left, yield to pedestrians, stop at stop signs, signal turns with arms, use lights/reflectors at night. Drivers slow down for, yield to walkers & cyclists, don't text & drive, SLOW DOWN FOR SAFER TOWN! Walkers hit by cars at 40 mph have 15% survival rate while those hit at 20 mph have 85% chance of survival.

ENCOURAGE BENEFITS
Enhances health (arrive at school exercised and alert for classes), Reduces traffic, improves air quality, deepens commitment to neighborhood, helps test for safe routes.
Hosted by Middlebury Safe Routes

Laura Asermily

Apr 6, 2022, 11:50:07 AMApr 6
to 'Laura Asermily' via Midd Bike-Ped discussion forum
I counted 38 bikes at Mary Hogan School and LOTS of walkers this morning. I flanked the entrance Rt 7 crosswalk with our cheerful, ever-faithful crossing guard Donna Woods. There is nothing better than watching her greet children and families and traffic. She greets by name, reminds you of the day and blesses you with positivity. She speaks to traffic--waving and wishing you a good day and thanking you for stopping. She monitors for speeding, especially as people rush to beat the light change. She negotiates children around cars blocking the crosswalk. She clears the crosswalk of debris and ice and notes when the walk signal button doesn't activate on deep cold days. She hopes people talking on cell phones while driving will quit that habit, shaking her head when she sees this. Like me, she is happy to see more people on Walk and Roll days. We can't wait for the next one on May 4 which is also a statewide one. Laura

--
The "Walk-Bike Council of Addison County" is our county-wide bike-ped organization.
Join us for an event, meeting, or just follow along at: