Townsend's Solitaire near Finley NWR this morning

Joel Geier

Apr 14, 2021, 8:59:49 PM4/14/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Bob Altman encountered a Townsend's Solitaire on a Christmas tree farm off Bellfountain Road near Finley NWR this morning, while he was out checking on Vesper Sparrows.

Mid- to late April seems to be the time of year for migrant solitaires to show up in the mid-Willamette Valley. Small numbers nest in the Coast Range, with Marys Peak as the most-reported location but a family group was found on Laurel Peak west of Monmouth in 1999, and there's been a smattering of reports from private timberland over the years. I found one once during June in a clear-cut in the western Cascades just above LaComb, while I was driving up to run a Breeding Bird Survey along the Crabtree Creek drainage (though I didn't manage to detect it during the survey the next day).

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis