Snow survivors

csh...@bywordofmind.com

Jan 2, 2022, 3:51:12 PM1/2/22
to Mid-Valley Nature
Went for a post snow storm walk around the yard today and found some interesting survivors.  The teasel fell over during the first of the snow storm and, although the seeds never made it into the ground, it looks as if a few days under the snow was just what the seeds needed to sprout.  Since so many folks around here have horses we try to keep the tansy pulled but missed this one, which is still blooming.

Also harvested some very late maturing apples on Friday.  No idea what they are.  The previous owners planted them about 10 years ago and this is the best harvest since we've been here. Wormy, spotty and bird bitten but they'll make good apple butter when I get them cleaned.  Lots of little ones still on the ground and in the trees for the critters.

Carma Henry
20220102_124712_resized.jpg
20220102_121342_resized_1.jpg
20220102_121731_resized_1.jpg
20220102_121413_resized_1.jpg
20220102_121718_resized_1.jpg
20220102_121706_resized_1.jpg
20220102_122038_resized_1.jpg

Bill Gerth

Jan 2, 2022, 5:01:27 PM1/2/22
to csh...@bywordofmind.com, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Carma,

Nice photos!
In case you didn't know, the orange fungi in images 121718 and 121731 are orange peel fungus (also called orange cup fairy fungus).
Here's a link with some info...
I've seen it growing in yards around my neighborhood too.

Cheers,
Bill