new-to-us yard bird

b_gerth

Jan 10, 2021, 4:25:33 PM1/10/21
to mid-valley-nature@googlegroups com

Hi folks,

A new-to-us bird has been visiting our compost bin the last couple days. Looks a little like a kinglet, but a slightly larger and without wing bars. Maybe some king of vireo or warbler?
Sorry the photo is not super. Best I could do with my cellphone.

Cheers,
Bill

Powered by Cricket Wireless

20210110_124833.jpg

nsto...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2021, 5:24:54 PM1/10/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Bill--
With that fairly long thin bill (for a warbler anyway...) looks like it's probably an Orange-crowned Warbler. Common breeding species around here, but few and far between in winter.

Nancy

Bill Gerth

Jan 10, 2021, 10:01:03 PM1/10/21
to nsto...@gmail.com, Mid-Valley Nature
Thanks, Nancy! I've heard of those before, but have never seen them.
Cheers,
Bill

Betty nancy bee

Jan 11, 2021, 12:33:09 PM1/11/21
to Bill Gerth, nsto...@gmail.com, Mid-Valley Nature
I had an orange crown visiting my nectar feeders one cold winter. It seems like they occasionally overwinter here.

Travel and nature blog: https://nancybird375.wordpress.com/

Bill Gerth

Jan 11, 2021, 1:24:54 PM1/11/21
to Betty nancy bee, nsto...@gmail.com, Mid-Valley Nature
Hey again, Nancy and everybody,

Just found this from the eBird website. It is an animated map where you can find the expected occurrences of many bird species in North America at different time of year. This is the map for the orange crowned warbler...
If you want to look at seasonal distributions for other species, just click "Change species" on the upper right part of the screen.

Cheers,
Bill