Turkeys

csh...@bywordofmind.com

Dec 12, 2021, 8:17:55 PM12/12/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Very interesting to see the peacock with the turkeys.  It would be fun to see if a displaying tom solicited a response from the visitor.

Our neighborhood turkey flock has moved on entirely.  After at least one or two daily visits all summer, the last encounter was, fittingly enough, 11/25 - the day I roasted our store-bought bird.  From a group high of 13, our last few days with them their number had gone down to 7.  They had taken to coming up on the back patio and occasionally roosting on the roof or down in our patch of remaining dead Douglas firs.  Just opening the door and hollering or clapping hands (without getting too close - dangerous looking feet) didn't discourage them for longer than a few minutes, so I started banging to bottoms of my sandals together, which made an impressively loud, sharp sound which they definitely didn't like.  We haven't seen them since.

By way of explanation, the piles of firewood around the edges of the porch are there to keep Boss Mom, the doe, from coming up on the slippery Trex boards to steal a share of the bird food.  She loves the black sunflower seeds.

Carma Henry, Logsdon Ridge
20211125_155118.jpg