Red tailed hawk or Cooper's hawk? A hawk at any rate

Adrienne

Dec 19, 2021, 5:57:19 PM12/19/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
From Adrienne, Corvallis

WOW!!! I was outside in the rain adding food to the bird feeders (I got a new bird feeder with a cage around it to protect the little song birds from European starlings, scrub jays, squirrels, the occasional hawk), So here I am by one of the trees, working on a suet feeder, thinking about how the squirrels are going to knock it down in the rain puddle..... then WOAH... large wings fluttering next to my head... a giant Ana's hummingtbird? Oh not exactly, RATHER, a Cooper's Hawk or a Red-tailed hawk? It flew away from me like a FRISBEE and perched itself on the fence. I said "WOW" towards it and it flew away from the garden. Did not looked phased though. Hmmmmm. Did it see the swinging suet feeder and take it for a bird? Did it see me as a gigantic hen? Was it telling me I was annoying during its hunting time.......

csh...@bywordofmind.com

Dec 19, 2021, 6:32:40 PM12/19/21
to Adrienne, Mid-Valley Nature
Amazing coincidence?!?

Since late morning we've witnessed a very unusual 4 visits (that I've witnessed) from what I think is Sharp-shined Hawk at the feeder station on our back porch. It's flown back and forth a few times and perched, briefly, twice.

This fellow seemed bigger than a Kestrel, smaller than the Cooper's who is usually our main hawk neighbor, pale brownish and more compact than a Merlin.  So, I'm betting on a Sharpie.

Maybe the intensity of the rain is impacting their flight, making a rapid escape too much of an effort.  Steve's rain guage got 2 1/8 inches in 48 hrs as of about 1PM (Hurrah!).  Frazier Creek drains through the grass seed fields below Logsdon Ridge and has turned into what we call 'Lake of the flats'.

Carma Henry
Logsdon Ridge

Adrienne

Dec 19, 2021, 6:50:46 PM12/19/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Yes, it could be the same bird? https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sharp-shinned_Hawk/id
We've had a visiting Cooper's hawk every day lately. But this hawk was different, no blue, all brown, a little smaller.
But I was a pretty big target to come flying through the branches at... he must have gaged that the corn or the suet feeder was a mourning dove (although hawk's have excellent vision) or not sure what he thought. There were no birds nearby.

howard bruner

Dec 20, 2021, 2:56:15 PM12/20/21
to Adrienne, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Adrienne

I have a seemingly ridiculous question - Do you happen to have reddish hair?

The reason I asked is my sister and I are gingers and we have both experienced the type of hawk encounter you describe. We think it has to do with reddish hair being one of those colors that are hard-wired in avian predators to consider a source of prime prey.

H.

Dec 20, 2021, 3:23:13 PM12/20/21
to howard bruner, Adrienne, Mid-Valley Nature

I like that theory, H!  It would explain why MY sister whose hair has artificially acquired red tones was strafed by a Cooper’s Hawk at Marys Peak years ago in the overflow parking lot for the campground!

-Pam

howard bruner

Dec 20, 2021, 3:26:02 PM12/20/21
to Pam and Randy Comeleo, Adrienne, Mid-Valley Nature
Yep, Pam, We reds are always taking the heat.

Dec 20, 2021, 5:38:23 PM12/20/21
to howard bruner, Mid-Valley Nature
Hello Howard,

Interesting. My hair is fair, blond & light brown so would shine reddish in the light and I was putting up a suet feeder with shiny copper cover, and another caged feeder for the smaller birds in copper.
So, that sounds like it did indeed attract the hawk.

Adrienne

csh...@bywordofmind.com

Dec 21, 2021, 9:12:21 PM12/21/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Intended to send this to the whole list yesterday, but ended up hitting reply for just Harry.  So the rain guage info is a day old now.

From: Harry Fuller <ato...@gmail.com>
Date: 12/19/21 5:55 PM (GMT-08:00)

the sharpie has flat ended tail, not rounded--single best fieldmark
we get both birds in our garden now

--
Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars: