Sunday Puzzle

Randy and Pamela Comeleo

Mar 26, 2023, 12:13:30 PM3/26/23
to mid-valley-nature
Four blobs of this stuff fell from the sky on us yesterday during a walk at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area.  Any guesses? (We know the answer)

Randy (and Pam)
Quiz Photo.jpg

Karan Fairchild

Mar 26, 2023, 1:28:20 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pam Comeleo, Mid-Valley Nature
Pretty gross!  Sure looks like someone's innards.  A red-tailed hawk was disturbed from a perch while eating and had to drop some of its prey while moving along?  That's one possible scenario.  A turkey vulture upchucked while flying over you?  I would not be thrilled to have that dropped ON me!  Fun puzzle!

Karan

Four blobs of this stuff fell from the sky on us yesterday during a walk at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area.  Any guesses? (We know the answer)

Randy (and Pam)

Linda Fink

Mar 26, 2023, 1:39:24 PM3/26/23
to mid-vall...@googlegroups.com
Oh my! I was thinking more in terms of slime mold falling off limbs. Now
I'm really curious...

Linda Fink

On 3/26/2023 10:28 AM, Karan Fairchild wrote:
> Pretty gross!  Sure looks like someone's innards.  A red-tailed hawk was
> disturbed from a perch while eating and had to drop some of its prey
> while moving along?  That's one possible scenario.  A turkey vulture
> upchucked while flying over you?  I would not be thrilled to have that
> dropped ON me!  Fun puzzle!
>
> Karan

Randy and Pamela Comeleo

Mar 26, 2023, 1:42:29 PM3/26/23
to Karan Fairchild, Mid-Valley Nature
Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!  We have a winner!  We inadvertently startled a pair of vultures on the ground hidden by shrubs along one of the roads.  As they got airborne and passed low overhead they vomited four blobs of fresh food on us.  Luckily, the projectiles all missed their target!

Karan wins the valuable prize: the Rosemary Mosco cartoon 'I am a turkey vulture I am so awesome'!

Randy (and Pam)

Mar 26, 2023, 1:43:52 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pam Comeleo, Karan Fairchild, Mid-Valley Nature
I like Karan's ideas... especially the turkey vulture since it seems a bit digested.

Jamie

Karan Fairchild

Mar 26, 2023, 1:49:42 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pam Comeleo, Mid-Valley Nature
Woo hoo!  Thanks!  I'd heard of turkey vultures doing that, but never witnessed it.  And hope NOT to ever witness it!  Funny cartoon!  And I do love turkey vultures.

Karan

Mar 26, 2023, 1:51:09 PM3/26/23
to Jamie S., Karan Fairchild, Mid-Valley Nature
The vomit seemed surprisingly fresh and did not smell.  There are videos on the web where they vomit more digested, dark, smelly stuff.  We guess this was more regurgitation than vomit.  After they left, I bashed my way through the blackberry to try and find what they were scavenging (we could smell something) but couldn't find anything.

Randy (and Pam)

Mar 26, 2023, 2:05:58 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pamela Comeleo, Karan Fairchild, Mid-Valley Nature

Awesome!  I am loving that cartoon.

Gayle Peterson

image001.gif

Karan Fairchild

Mar 26, 2023, 2:14:58 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pam Comeleo, Jamie S., Mid-Valley Nature
Yes, it sure did look fresh (relatively).  I'm glad, for your sake!

Mar 26, 2023, 10:13:08 PM3/26/23
to Randy and Pamela Comeleo, mid-valley-nature
Did you stray too close to a heron rookery?