September birds

alde...@peak.org

Sep 8, 2019, 7:15:37 PM9/8/19
to birding, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi All-

We have a new batch of young Spotted Towhees begging from their parents around the yard and being fed!  Isn't it getting a bit late for this?  Also, Song Sparrows have been singing here at home and other places for the last week or so, so nice to hear.

Karan Fairchild
6 mi SW Philomath, Benton County

clear...@peak.org

Sep 8, 2019, 7:40:02 PM9/8/19
to Karan Fairchild, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Wow! That does seem really late for towhee fledglings to be begging!

Birds of Oregon: A General Reference (Marshall, Hunter, and Contreras, 2003, OSU Press) lists 30 Jul as a late date for nests with young, and 8 Aug as a late date for fledglings. I recall Dave Budeau (former manager at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area) once found a nest while mowing around the skeet range, which might have stretched that envelope by a week or so.

Vesper Sparrows and Chipping Sparrows both seemed to have more nests later into the season than in other recent years, and it seems like there also a lot of still-spotty juvenile Western Bluebirds around for this stage of September.

Joel

Sep 8, 2019, 8:52:35 PM9/8/19
to clear...@peak.org, Karan Fairchild, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Hi All,

I still have dark brown Towhees around my place (TCP), and every color hue to the full adult. This is the latest, and fullest year of Towhees in my memory.

Jim

Sep 8, 2019, 9:06:55 PM9/8/19
to JAMES D SMITH, clear...@peak.org, Karan Fairchild, Midvalley Birding Midvalley, Mid-Valley Nature
Have not seen any begging towhees but plenty of brown jobs here on our
farm near Grand Ronde Agency. And today yet another batch of baby C.
Quail appeared not more than a couple weeks old. These are the smallest,
latest I remember ever having here. We must have fifty or more
larger/older quail chicks.

Other unusually late chicks are Black Oystercatchers north Lincoln
City... not yet fledged. Weird year.

Linda Fink