Flabbergasted by Fungus

Owen Dell

Nov 19, 2022, 1:00:03 PM11/19/22
to Mid-Valley Nature
Does anybody have an i.d. on this? It's growing on what seems to be a buried tree root, located in the planter closest to the sidewalk on 2nd and Jefferson in Corvallis. It's about one foot in diameter, it's rock-hard, and it has been there unchanged for several weeks. I haven't seen anything quite like it. A petrified American Dream pizza perhaps?

Thanks.

Owen

Fungus 3 221119.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

Don A Boucher

Nov 22, 2022, 12:12:07 AM11/22/22
to Mid-Valley Nature

Linda Fink

Nov 22, 2022, 9:11:07 AM11/22/22
to Mid-valley-nature
excellent description and lots of photos here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/118084-Phaeolus-schweinitzii

On 11/21/2022 9:12 PM, Don A Boucher wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> It reminds me of a Dyer's Polypore (/Phaeolus schweinitzii/). They grow
> on tree roots, primarily conifers.
> Look at these specimens from iNaturalist:
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137176114
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137176114>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/138085573
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/138085573>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137991180
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137991180>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/142352659
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/137991180>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/141958299
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/141958299>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/140579476
> <https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/140579476>
>
> -Don Boucher
> Corvallis
> On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 10:00:03 AM UTC-8 ow...@owendell.com
> wrote:
>
> Does anybody have an i.d. on this? It's growing on what seems to be
> a buried tree root, located in the planter closest to the sidewalk
> on 2nd and Jefferson in Corvallis. It's about one foot in diameter,
> it's rock-hard, and it has been there unchanged for several weeks. I
> haven't seen anything quite like it. A petrified American Dream
> pizza perhaps?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Owen
>
> Fungus 3 221119.jpg
>
> IMG_2207.jpg
>
> IMG_2206.jpg
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mid-valley-nature/ff3cd07e-57d1-44eb-b35b-afa8596f99aen%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mid-valley-nature/ff3cd07e-57d1-44eb-b35b-afa8596f99aen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Owen Dell

Nov 25, 2022, 11:59:28 AM11/25/22
to Mr. Don Boucher, Mid-Valley Nature
Thank you, Don. I think the one I saw is a mature specimen. Go have a look next time you’re downtown. It’s pretty cool.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, RLA, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates, LLC
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author • Photographer
Oregon Registered Landscape Architect No. LA798

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"All the ants on the planet, taken together, have a biomass
greater than that of humans. Ants have been incredibly
industrious for millions of years, yet their productiveness
nourishes plants, animals, and soil. Human industry has
been in full swing for little over a century, yet it has
brought about a decline in almost every ecosystem on the
planet. Nature doesn't have a design problem. People do."
William McDonough
architect & visionary

Owen Dell

Nov 25, 2022, 11:59:28 AM11/25/22
to fink....@gmail.com, Mid-valley-nature
Thanks, Linda. Yes, an excellent source of info.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, RLA, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates, LLC
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author • Photographer
Oregon Registered Landscape Architect No. LA798

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"The world gives us so very much. It gives us our life. All of our
neighbors -- the ants, spiders, salmon, geese, sharks, seals,
cottonwoods, chestnuts -- are doing the real work of keeping this
planet going. Isn't it time we did our share?"
Derrick Jensen
from "Endgame: Resistance"

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Mid-Valley Nature" group.