Vaux's Swifts roosting at the Whiteside Theater

Mary Garrard

Oct 6, 2022, 10:44:45 PM10/6/22
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hi everyone, although numbers were lower tonight, migrating swifts are still using the Whiteside Theater chimney in Corvallis as a nighttime roost. Tonight I counted 350 go into the chimney about 20 minutes past sunset.

And although it’s not as spectacular a phenomenon as several weeks ago when we were counting numbers ten times higher, it’s still a fun sight, especially with the waxing gibbous moon arising!

Happy fall migration, and a safe journey for all the little birds.

Mary