Weird goose

Andi Stephens

Apr 17, 2021, 11:34:00 AM4/17/21
to Mid-Valley Nature

I stopped by the Marshall Island Boat ramp, and as expected there were two Osprey on a nest atop a power pole.

The next pole over also had a nest, with a Canada Goose in it.  Maybe just resting?  I've never heard of them actually nesting anywhere but on the ground.

Cheers,

--Andi

Don Boucher

Apr 17, 2021, 11:40:34 AM4/17/21
to Mid-Valley Nature
Hi Andi,

Sometimes Canada Geese will nest on a high platform. This goose could be interested in nesting there. I can't say whether the goose you saw will commit to nesting there. Here's a story about an instance of geese taking over an osprey nest.

-Don Boucher

Marge Alig

Apr 17, 2021, 2:20:47 PM4/17/21
to Don Boucher, Mid-Valley Nature
We were  surprised for the first time by the same sight  through our binocs as we sat in Riverfront Park in Harrisburg, and looked at the osprey platform across the river. Searching online I found this Chesapeake Bay Foundation WebCam history of goose use,  including a great short video of the little ones successfully taking the leap...and making it to the water. Scroll to Cam History and video entitled “goslings depart unusually”