Fall birds

csh...@bywordofmind.com

Sep 22, 2021, 8:04:37 PM9/22/21
to MidValleyNature
On Monday the first Chestnut-backed chickadees arrived.  They don't seem to be permanent winter residents, more like in-frequent visitors.  We've haven't seen them in summer so far at all (August marked our 4th year back in the WValley).

Later that afternoon, we were treated to watching the flock of turkey's react to the approach of a Cooper's hawk.  They all stopped feeding to watch it, necks stretched out to the max.  It swooped around a bit then landed in one of the dead Doug firs and stayed for several minutes.  While the rest of the birds disappeared the turkeys went right back to feeding.  We've found some evidence (masses of feathers) of the hawks predating both Eurasian collared and Mourning doves.

On Tuesday, the first Golden-crowned sparrow appeared.  This summer none of them stayed, so their return is nice.  Red-winged and Brewer's blackbirds are back in large numbers.  Numbers of Juncos are on the rise as well.

Here on the south slope of Logsdon Ridge we got approx 1 ³/⁸" rain over the weekend and another scant ¹/⁸" this morning (in a very brief downpour 9:50-10:00 AM.  That's a bit more than reported at the Corvallis airport.  We also have a sudden flush of annoying flies.

Last night, mixed in with the cricket's singing, I heard a very distinct and deep throated croaking - assuming it was a frog, but much deeper than what I usually think of as a tree frog.

Carma & Steve Henry